Ted Poley - Modern Art

tts42572

I see he teamed up with the guys from Degreed for his next solo album coming out soon.  I believe it's out in July directly through him or September worldwide.

Few snippets below.  Not sure how I feel about it yet.  I like Degreed a lot and can hear their influences in the music.  What really does it with Degreed for me though is the edge Robin's gritty vocals add to it.  So far, not sure these songs are grabbing me quite as much as Degreed has in the past.  

Interesting combination though and will probably keep an eye on this.

Sounds different than I expected, but not bad.  For what it's worth, Ted said on his site that this isn't a solo album, more of a side project.  A follow up to his last solo release, Beyond The Fade, should be out next year though.

Edited by Crazysam

I will check it out for sure. I am not the biggest Degreed fan so, but this isn't sounding to bad.

2 hours ago, tts42572 said:

Few snippets below.  Not sure how I feel about it yet.  I like Degreed a lot and can hear their influences in the music.  What really does it with Degreed for me though is the edge Robin's gritty vocals add to it.  So far, not sure these songs are grabbing me quite as much as Degreed has in the past.  

Interesting combination though and will probably keep an eye on this.

Completely agree. I like Degreed and I like Ted but these samples sound a bit... odd (not bad either). I'll check when released but my hype sits on ground again.

The second and third songs sound good to me. I don't like Poley's lower register, as displayed in the first one, so I hope there's not much of that, but otherwise this sounds great. 'Time' sounds especially great. 

Another sample:

Feeling at this point I'll probably pass on this at least as a pre-order.  I like Ted and love Degreed but this is just not really hitting the mark for me.  It's just a bit odd.  It's almost like a mellower version of Degreed.  Maybe I'll feel differently once I can hear some full songs.

That clip doesn't really display much at all, but I'm liking what I hear of the album. Cover art is rubbish. Looks like a psychedelic album cover or something. 

• My Little Pony

It all sounds fine to me. And I like the cover art, though I'm not so sure about the two different fonts. 

• 5 weeks later...

Not a bad album all in all, and pretty much what you would expect from solo Ted in this day and age. Quite lightweight, but very melodic.

Guitar work on this is great though. Not in your face, but some great solos

15 hours ago, Crazysam said:

I'd considered ordering, but seemed a bit pricey

Yes, that is why i have not ordered it. Was waiting for it to hit Amazon, but someone in the TP camp said it"wasn't going to be on Amazon"

You should not get hit on import charges on something that price. I certainly did not.

I know strictly speaking they can get you on this as its in that range, but it is very very rare to get hit on a CD or DVD etc.

The main reason is that they will usually waive the fee if it comes to £7 or less, which it would do on an item this price usually (unless they use overly ridiculous postage charges).

Funnily enough, the only time I ever get hit with charges on CDs is when they come from Japan, and are new releases.

1 hour ago, Captain Howdy said:

You should not get hit on import charges on something that price. I certainly did not.

I know strictly speaking they can get you on this as its in that range, but it is very very rare to get hit on a CD or DVD etc.

The main reason is that they will usually waive the fee if it comes to £7 or less, which it would do on an item this price usually (unless they use overly ridiculous postage charges).

Funnily enough, the only time I ever get hit with charges on CDs is when they come from Japan, and are new releases.

I get hit everytime I buy something over the value of £15,they charge me £11.05 to release it from my local post office or they will send it back,the last cd I bought was £15.02 and the feckers still bogged the arm in...that was collateral damage from Ted also,so importing is not on my agenda at the minute.

The problem is the postage charge is factored in as well, not just the price of the CD. If that was the case, you would not have been charged for £15.02 as it has to be above £18 to even be considered.

Only time I have ever been stung from USA is when ordering high value items (£50+) and find that importing from Japan is where they usually sting you (maybe they think Asia is higher risk or something).

I got my copy of this new Ted CD on Friday, and no charges.