Clif Magness - Lucky Dog

Stefan

10_10_17_On-The-Beat-with-Grammy-winning

Press release:

NEW SONG & VIDEO ALERT: Famed Producer & Songwriter Clif MagnessAnnounces New Solo Album, LUCKY DOG! Releases First Single & Video, "Ain't No Way"!

+Pre-order here: http://radi.al/LuckyDog 

In the early '90s, melodic rock had more or less left the mainstream and become an underground affair championed by a group of small indie labels in Europe. But, in 1994, one spectacular release appeared on the scene from a singer/ songwriter named Clif Magness, entitled “Solo” that managed to collect truly rave reviews from all over the world (yes, even in a time when melodic rock was considered dead and gone).

“After receiving numerous requests from fans all over the world, I am excited to announce that I’m teaming up with Frontiers and releasing a new solo album,” says Clif. “Very cool to be working with Frontiers and after too long, on my own project. Years have passed since my last solo effort, but the truth is, I am, at the heart of things, a journeyman songwriter, and producer for others, and still am. But I have had an awesome time stepping out and putting together this record.“ Clif continues, “Some very loyal Melodic Rock, Planet 3 and Clif Magness fans worldwide have been asking me to record a follow up to “Solo” for a few years now. I contacted a couple of long time collaborators of mine, Mark Mueller , Jennifer Grais and Brock Walsh to write some new songs. I also included a new writer named Sherrie Adams. During the writing process, I contacted the esteemed vocalist Robin Beck. Robin recorded a song I wrote with Steve Kipner called “Footprints In The Rain” years ago, I’m a huge fan of her work! With Sherrie, we wrote “Love Needs A Heart” and recorded it as a duet”.

The first song/video, “Ain’t No Way” was written with Mark Mueller who also wrote “If We Can’t Do It” with Clif on “Solo”. Clif says, “Mark has a great lyrical talent, especially in the “kick ass” context. I think kicking off an album with a barn burner is important. Also it has the theme of self-empowerment”.

“I’ve always been interested in the recording process. I literally had a mixer and two tape recorders in my bedroom when I was thirteen. That is to say that my studio is now at my home where I write, produce, engineer and perform all of the instruments and mix. Soup to nuts! Whenever I can, I ask Josh Freese to perform the drum tracks. And on “Lucky Dog”, my son Evan performed many of the guitar tracks," explains Clif.

But who is Clif Magness? Well, he certainly needs no introduction for music fanatics who have devoted much of their time over the years to reading the credits in album liners. By the time the "Solo" record came out, he already made a name for himself co-writing and producing a #1 hit with Jack Wagner (“All I Need”), a top 5 hit for Wilson Phillips (“Impulsive”), and winning a Recording Academy / GRAMMY for the song “The Places You Find Love” from Quincy Jones‘ critically acclaimed album, “Back On The Block”. Just three years later, in 1993, Clif was nominated for an Oscar and a Golden Globes Award for the song “The Day I Fall In Love” from the film “Beethoven’s 2nd”, co-written with Carole Bayer Sager and James Ingram. Throughout the 1990s and into 2000, Clif continued to work with outstanding artists such as Céline Dion, Hanson, Steve Perry, Amy Grant, and Joe Bonamassa, among others. Clif was also instrumental in developing perhaps the biggest breakout artist of 2003, Avril Lavigne. Being among the first writer/producers to work with Avril, Clif’s writing and production style became the benchmark for the album. Clif co- wrote and produced the fourth, much edgier, Avril Lavigne single “Losing Grip,” as well as five other tracks from her multi-platinum debut “Let Go.” Of course he has kept on working and creating some great and hugely successful music for many singers in the past few years, including Kelly Clarkson, Vanessa Amorosi, Tyler Hilton, Robin Beck, Marie Digby, Julia Michaels, and many others.

Frontiers Music Srl is truly honored and excited to welcome such a huge talent to the label and firmly believes this will continue their unapproachable track record of bringing AOR fans music they are more than happy to hear. The new release will follow in the footsteps of “Solo”, with an updated production and sound befitting of the 21st century.

cliftonmagness.com

31351427_10156785070638488_1889468240425

TRACKLISTING:

1. Ain’t No Way
2. Don’t Look Now
3. Unbroken
4. LikeYou
5. Love Needs A Heart
6. Nobody But You
7. Maybe 
8. Shout
9. Rain
10. All Over My Mind
11. My Heart

Nice song..if it's anywhere near as good as 'Solo' then count me in

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2023 Gold Donors

Was really looking forward to this album but going by these to songs I'm disappointed. Neither of these comes close to the AOR brilliance of his Solo album (apart from Flower Girl which was utter crap) so the rest is gonna have to be outstanding, sadly I don't think it will be. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

this is a great AOR album.

'Maybe' is my ballad of the year so far.

Songwriting really shines through here and all wrapped up in a lush production. 

Not a bad little disc, this one. Doesn't really thrill me, but I agree with Glen that it sounds wonderful, production-wise. 

There were three songs that stood out for me - 'Love needs a heart,' 'Nobody but you' and 'All over my mind.' Nice, good quality AOR. The rest is mostly pretty decent. 

This is a really good comeback effort by Clif.   He might not appeal to fans who prefer more of a hard rock/metal style, but if you enjoy AOR I recommend giving Lucky Dog a spin.  The album is full of classy, catchy tunes with a stellar production.

• 11 months later...