Guns N Roses - Appetite for destruction super deluxe reissue?

Looks like GNR's surprise announcement with the countdown to Friday has been spoiled

https://www.gnr.fm/#/

Looking like a super special version of Appetite for destruction with 49 unreleased tracks plus more bells and whistles is to be released in June.

https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/05/guns-n-roses-to-release-deluxe-edition-of-appetite-for-destruction/

https://gnrcentral.com/2018/05/03/guns-n-roses-release-appetite-for-destruction-locked-and-loaded-unboxing-video/

I hate shit like this where they combine CDs and vinyl rather than making separate versions for each format. It only jacks up the price. No way I'd spend even $179, as I'd never use the vinyl.

For HARDKOR fans only.

I would not be surprised to see them release it on CD only at a later date. Best way to guarantee selling all of these at full price is to make the demand for them by making it exclusive, then later once all the fuss has died down, they sneak out a CD only boxset at a more reasonable price. Typical record label greed.

Well it looks like it is just the CDs in the "cheaper" of the releases, plus a blu ray disc and some other bits and pieces, but to be honest, considering how many demo's I already have unofficially, the line up of tracks is weak as hell.

https://uk.gnrmerch.com/*/*/Appetite-for-Destruction-Super-Deluxe-Edition/5UVR0000000

Where the hell is Crash diet, for instance?

What it also does not mention is if those demo's have had an sort of tweaking with the production and sound quality.

The only things that have a remaster is the already released stuff like Appetite itself and the Lies EP which is included as well.

Not sure about the American price, but the super deluxe is more expensive than expected and the deluxe version is cheaper (even £10 cheaper on HMV which is like a miracle).

I might consider buying it later, but hardly an essential purchase considering what is on it.

They are also releasing it as a standalone single remaster disc, and a two disc set as well

https://uk.gnrmerch.com/*/*/Appetite-for-Destruction-2CD-Deluxe-Edition/5UVS0000000

There are plenty of people who will pay that money.

Already seen lots of comments of "preordered" on the GNR Facebook page.

Some people have the money to afford it, and some people will put themselves in debt for it. And that is exactly who they are aiming this at.

25 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

There are plenty of people who will pay that money.

Already seen lots of comments of "preordered" on the GNR Facebook page.

Some people have the money to afford it, and some people will put themselves in debt for it. And that is exactly who they are aiming this at.

Afterpay is the new credit card for kids.
Easy to access and use, easy to acquire debt.
Sad

• 4 weeks later...

I lived AFD first-hand as I was attending college in San Diego the late summer / early fall of 1987 when the album was really taking off.

At the time I was 19 and not a huge fan.  It was a bit too raw and raunchy for my ears then... HYSTERIA; SLIPPERY WHEN WET; GIRLS, GIRLS, GIRLS; PERMANENT VACATION and WHITESNAKE were still in constant rotation in my cassette decks (car and boombox).

Didn't take long for me to become a fan, however.  Living in SoCal at the time it was hard to escape these guys or that album... they were EVERYWHERE.  I still have fond memories of APPETITE and never turn the dial when any of the singles are on the radio, but I don't appreciate it enough to spend that kind of money on any reissue.  I have the original cassette tape, CD and Japanese vinyl.  I'm all set.

20 hours ago, gener8tr said:

I lived AFD first-hand as I was attending college in San Diego the late summer / early fall of 1987 when the album was really taking off.

At the time I was 19 and not a huge fan.  It was a bit too raw and raunchy for my ears then... HYSTERIA; SLIPPERY WHEN WET; GIRLS, GIRLS, GIRLS; PERMANENT VACATION and WHITESNAKE were still in constant rotation in my cassette decks (car and boombox).

Didn't take long for me to become a fan, however.  Living in SoCal at the time it was hard to escape these guys or that album... they were EVERYWHERE.  I still have fond memories of APPETITE and never turn the dial when any of the singles are on the radio, but I don't appreciate it enough to spend that kind of money on any reissue.  I have the original cassette tape, CD and Japanese vinyl.  I'm all set.

Very similar for me :)

Really an iconic album though and I think this album along with Hysteria really got a ton of play from me....that 85-90 period was just such a fabulous time for music.

I'm not big on these re-issues but I've just bought the plain CD for this one much like I did with the Hysteria album recently.  My original CD has been put through the ringer so I welcome the update here.

I don't get into all the extra stuff though.  I don't need more clutter than I already have ?

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone who has been saving up since the announcement the band's online store has the locked & loaded version scheduled to begin shipping on 6/29 for $999.00 USD.  I've let my wife know it will be on my Christmas list ;).

https://gnrmerch.com/products/appetite-for-destruction-locked-n-loaded-box-set

Edited by Crazysam