Myles Kennedy - Year of the Tiger

hsf

I know, generally, he doesn't belong here, but this album is a bit of a departure from what we're used to hearing from Mr. Kennedy(... KENNEDY!), so I figured I'd throw it here.  (It's definitely not the the AB or Slash/Conspirators vein.)

I can't wait until this album drops because, as much as I love his AB and Slash work, and absolutely ADORE Mayfield Four, this is different and all him.  And it's personal.  (Plus, I'd listen to the guy sing the phone book if he recorded it.)

Hope I'm not the ONLY one looking forward to it, though I know another HH alum who'll be buying it as well.

Stated in Kennedy’s official press release; on Year Of The Tiger, Kennedy embarks on his first venture as a solo artist by embracing musical elements and influences he hasn’t explored until this point in his career. What emerges is a 12-song concept record inspired by the loss of his father when he was a child. Kennedy himself plays banjo, lap steel, bass, and mandolin in addition to guitar throughout the album. From the opening guitar riff of album opener “Year Of The Tiger” to uplifting album closer “One Fine Day,” it is clear that these songs tell a story that has been brewing in Kennedy since the first mention of a solo album in 2009. The emotional journey and personal story of Myles is captured in a bluesy-americana album with a twist of country and rock, swirling and flowing around this incredible soulful voice the world has come to know.

• 3 weeks later...

I only have gotten to listen to this once so far (when I get home from work, it's all about the fantasy hockey playoffs right now), but it's definitely a musical departure from what you associate with Myles.

Aside from the different musicality, I'm guessing the lyrics are much deeper than I was able to pick up on a drive where I was talking to someone/worried about making it to a destination on time.  This album will warrant a much closer listen when the time is available. (After the fantasy hockey playoffs, if not the NHL playoffs.)  But definitely listen before buying if you're going in thinking Myles is the lead singer of Alter Bridge and of Slash & the Conspirators.  (Although, from the traffic in this thread, not sure that's a worry anyway.  haha)

• 1 month later...

Certainly a departure, but that's good.
Just like the first Joey Tempest and Michael Sweet albums, a changeup can give great results.
David Coverdale as well, although I think that may have been released under Whitesnake - can't recall now.

Problem I have at times with Myles is his voice can get a bit annoying in full power mode.
Having said that I've been listening to a fair bit of Slash lately and eventually I really got into some stuff after I accepted the voice.

I really like these songs and will be putting this on my to get list.

I like Myles voice,  and will give it a chance.  Tracks sound ok individually, but if the whole album has this sleepy, acoustic feel I'll probably pass as far as purchasing. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2018 at 12:32 PM, KarpetRydOFunk said:

The what playoffs now? ;}

Haha, I know exactly what Jay refers too. Well, not exactly, as I don't follow hockey or NFL, but I got caught up in our very own NRL (Aussie football) Fantasy comp this year and it's a life consumer. By christ does it suck you in. 

10 hours ago, Geoff said:

Haha, I know exactly what Jay refers too. Well, not exactly, as I don't follow hockey or NFL, but I got caught up in our very own NRL (Aussie football) Fantasy comp this year and it's a life consumer. By christ does it suck you in. 

AFL is Aussie Football :)

On 5/19/2018 at 10:42 AM, CureTheSane said:

AFL is Aussie Football :)

Well, technically the soccer is, whatever they call that shit. The A-League?

But Rugby League, I should have said, is the most important, enjoyable and engaging football-based sport in Australia. :)

1 hour ago, Geoff said:

But Rugby League, I should have said, is the most important, enjoyable and engaging football-based sport in Australia. :)

lol, funny

23 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

lol, funny

I don't really look to cold hard truths for humour, but whatever floats your boat, mate. ;)

36 minutes ago, Geoff said:

I don't really look to cold hard truths for humour, but whatever floats your boat, mate. ;)

haha, i went to the Rugby once.
once.

22 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

haha, i went to the Rugby once.
once.

Rugby Union, or League? Because Rugby Union is painful. Rugby League is the best game on Earth. 

2 hours ago, Geoff said:

Rugby Union, or League? Because Rugby Union is painful. Rugby League is the best game on Earth. 

Let's end this now.
There is no possible positive outcome for further discussion.
FWIW,they're both painful for me compared to AFL.

• 2 months later...