heavyharmonies

Grabbing all your moola: The 2018 Heavy Harmonies Donation Drive!

Once more unto the breach, dear friends...

It's that wonderful time of the year for me to nag, complain, beg, intimidate, wheedle, persuade, and get ya to pry open those wallets to chip in to cover Heavy Harmonies' expenses. Costs for the site run about $180 a month, same as last year.

So when I say "costs", what do I mean? It's the out-of-pocket expenses to keep Heavy Harmonies running: server lease, bandwidth, hosting support, and the subscription for this forum software.

Last year, for the very first time EVER, the donation drive covered 100% of goal. Let's make it two in a row!

The donation drive will run through April 15.

I'm going to continue the donation reward system in place, with one slight tweak:

Anyone who makes a single donation of $20 or more and has a board username will be added to the group "2018 Donors". This gets you the following benefits:

• A nice shiny icon in your profile showing that you are an HH Donor for 2018: hh_supporter2018__donor.gif.972c078ad6a8
  • An increase in the size of your PM storage from 200 to 500 messages
  • Exempt from the search flood control (normally if you try and do a search more than every 20 seconds, you get an annoying little "please wait" message)
  • The ability to start threads in the sale forum.
  • No time limit on editing your own posts! This will especially be useful for those with trade/sale lists as you'll be able to edit them rather than posting revised versions.
  • A warm fuzzy feeling inside that you are helping support Heavy Harmonies!

If you donate $50 during the drive, either as a single donation or across multiple donations, you will be added to the group "2018 Gold Donors". This gets you the following in addition to the above:

• A bigger, fully animated shiny badge: 2018GoldDonorSlowed.gif.f8807623c5f2ef3a
  • All your posts will be highlighted, because if you show this much dedication to HH, what you have to say is obviously more more important! (just kidding, but your posts will be accentuated).

In your donation, please put your board username in the notes section! Otherwise I have no way to tie your donation to your membership here on the board.

If you are currently in the 2017 donor groups but don't wish to donate this year (or can't), at the end of the donation drive, your group membership will revert to the regular non-donator membership group.

Membership in the 2018 Donors group will last until the end of next year's donation drive, at which point you can donate again to remain in the Donors group with the same benefits, or revert back to your current member group.

PayPal donation buttons are found at the top of all the pages on the main site and here on the forum on the right side at the top, or if you'd prefer to send a money order, check, or cash (not recommended, but I know some people prefer to do so), you can make payable to Dan Harding and send to:

Heavy Harmonies
P.O. Box 17158
Urbana, IL 61803
USA

If you can't give $20, give $10... if you can't give $10, give $5... it's just once a year.

(And if you happen to be fortunate enough to be earning 6 figures or more per year, please feel free to give gobs of cash! I'm not opposed to having a sugar daddy or two :lol::christmas:)

As always, your support is greatly appreciated! :git::banger:

-Dan

Always asking for money...

Done and done! Thanks again mate for all your efforts and to all members of the Forum. This is a really great community. 

For the record, I don't donate for an "icon beside my name". I donate because it's the right thing to do. 

Having said that, if I don't receive an icon beside my name I will be outraged!!!

What do you have to pay to switch off that awful flashing? 

And that white background makes it almost impossible to read. 

3 hours ago, PeterS said:

And that white background makes it almost impossible to read. 

Which "that white background" are you referring to? Do you mean the forum theme, i.e., all of the posts? If so, you can change themes at the bottom of the page to a light on dark theme (basically the reverse of the default theme).

I can slow down the timing of the animated GIF so that it doesn't seem to be flashing.

Ok, it appears that highlighted posts render quite differently when using the dark theme. I'll see if I can tweak that.

Great. I keep forgetting to test things with that dark theme because it's not the theme I use. Sorry about that.

Thanks for the donations thus far. I'll add badges tonight when I get home from work.

-Dan

Nobody reads my posts, anyway, so you can keep all mine faded. ;}

Done, keep up the good work!

Animated gold donor badge slowed down so it's not flashing per se.

Done and dusted. Thanks for your efforts, Dan!

Done.....For some reason when I hit the Paypal option it didn't give me any note section to put Nick C as the donor on the Paypal site...I looked and looked and looked.....and looked. But couldn't find it, I'm sure I had the same problem last year. Anyway just sent it... should be able to figure out it's me by either the name or the email (rocks62).

20 hours ago, Nick C said:

Done.....For some reason when I hit the Paypal option it didn't give me any note section to put Nick C as the donor on the Paypal site...I looked and looked and looked.....and looked. 

Wooh up to 37%. Really hope you hit your 100% again, you certainly deserve to

Donation sent.  Thanks for the great site.

So it's roughly half way through the donation drive and we're at 46% of goal, which is great! Thanks to everyone who has supported HH for 2018 thus far.

Now comes the tough part: The donation drive is always front-weighted, meaning that most of the regular community members and main site participants donate at the beginning of the drive, so the donations trail off and it becomes harder to cover the remaining portion of the goal; the second half is always harder than the first half.

We're almost half way home. If you haven't already donated to support HH, please do. It's only once a year. Even if you can only afford $5 or $10 a year, every bit adds up.

Thanks again!

-Dan

I'll post a link on FB later on my various pages, hopefully a few more $ will come in... :-)

Thanks Pete. As a general rule, I don't social media. :)

Done and done. Thanks again Dan 👍🏻

One week left to go in the 2018 Donation Drive and we stand at 71% of goal. Last year, for the first time ever, it reached 100%. Can it happen again?

My deepest thanks to everyone who has donated thus far.

-Dan

Just done,thanx for a great site Dan :drink:

2 days left and we've made it to 83% of goal. Oh, so close!