Jump to content

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, All Nights Reserved said:

This band reminds me why I hate pop music and hipster culture in general.

Which one? Vega, or We Were Sharks? If Vega, please explain yourself. :)

And again... like I said, the We Were Sharks song isn't there to draw fans... just a production comparison from one song in a playlist to another... nothing more, nothing less. I like the song, but how good the song is wasn't the point, at all. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Geoff said:

Which one? Vega, or We Were Sharks? If Vega, please explain yourself. :)

And again... like I said, the We Were Sharks song isn't there to draw fans... just a production comparison from one song in a playlist to another... nothing more, nothing less. I like the song, but how good the song is wasn't the point, at all. ;)

I think his point was stop banging on about the production - we get you don't like it ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Glen said:

I think his point was stop banging on about the production - we get you don't like it ;)

Point taken. It can be annoying. 

I remember last year some guy just wouldn't shut up about the production on the Midnite City album... which was muddy, but not really that bad at all (Far, far better than Vega). I think the same guy is up to 88,000 posts about Issa's voice this year (on top of his 888,000 from previous years), lol.

Can't think of the chap's name, though. ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Geoff said:

Which one? Vega, or We Were Sharks? If Vega, please explain yourself. :)

And again... like I said, the We Were Sharks song isn't there to draw fans... just a production comparison from one song in a playlist to another... nothing more, nothing less. I like the song, but how good the song is wasn't the point, at all. ;)

Yeah, I was talking about the lumberjacks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Geoff said:

Point taken. It can be annoying. 

I remember last year some guy just wouldn't shut up about the production on the Midnite City album... which was muddy, but not really that bad at all (Far, far better than Vega). I think the same guy is up to 88,000 posts about Issa's voice this year (on top of his 888,000 from previous years), lol.

Can't think of the chap's name, though. ;) 

Alphamale ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Glen said:

Alphamale ;)

Haha. 

On the album, I'm not wild about the first two, and even less fond of the last two... but 3-10 are wonderful. 'Standing Still' is probably my favourite of the lot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Haha. 

On the album, I'm not wild about the first two, and even less fond of the last two... but 3-10 are wonderful. 'Standing Still' is probably my favourite of the lot. 

really? I really like Worth Dying For & Go To War. 2 of my favs 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Glen said:

really? I really like Worth Dying For & Go To War. 2 of my favs 

Okay, so maybe a bit of an exageration about 'Worth dying for.' I'll take that one back and say the album starts there. It is better than I thought... a grower. 

As for 'Go to war,' I actually think it's bordering on bad, for Vega standards. Poor verses and pre-choruses and really a pretty embarrassing chorus - like a limp, half-assed chant. Like a kid's song or something. Nah, don't like that one bit. Worst song on the CD, imo, for sure. 

But the mid-section is great. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Geoff said:

a grower. 

Isn't that you breaking your music rules?
Allowing a song multiple listens to show its worth?

😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Geoff said:

Okay, so maybe a bit of an exageration about 'Worth dying for.' I'll take that one back and say the album starts there. It is better than I thought... a grower. 

As for 'Go to war,' I actually think it's bordering on bad, for Vega standards. Poor verses and pre-choruses and really a pretty embarrassing chorus - like a limp, half-assed chant. Like a kid's song or something. Nah, don't like that one bit. Worst song on the CD, imo, for sure. 

But the mid-section is great. 

are we listening to the same song?

the pre is pure Vega. I love it.

And the chorus is great. 

And the solo rules.

You lost me on this one mate 

I actually love the whole album start to finish. Not often I say that these days 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Overall still a pleasant album as expected

My fave are 'Only Human', 'Last Man Standing', and 'All Over Now' - if I have to put the weakest point, well probably 'Go To War' but I still dig that song anyway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Glen said:

are we listening to the same song?

the pre is pure Vega. I love it.

And the chorus is great. 

And the solo rules.

You lost me on this one mate 

I actually love the whole album start to finish. Not often I say that these days 

Yep, same song mate. Sorry, I love this band but if this song was pure Vega, I wouldn't like Vega. It's a very bad song, which doesn't always mean it's enjoyable or not... but in this case, it's a bad song and I don't enjoy it. Very far removed from the Vega I know and love (and hear on the rest of the album). 

20 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

Isn't that you breaking your music rules?
Allowing a song multiple listens to show its worth?

😎

Grr. Not with good bands/songs. Billions of good songs grow into great songs. What never happens, ever, is that terrible songs grow into good songs. Which is what I was talking about in that other thread. ;) ie. with Europe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

whole album just sounds like Vega to me. I enjoy every song.

my only gripe is the distortion on track one in the verses. would have preferred it just clean. 

Otherwise top job guys :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Geoff said:

Grr. Not with good bands/songs. Billions of good songs grow into great songs. What never happens, ever, is that terrible songs grow into good songs. Which is what I was talking about in that other thread. ;) ie. with Europe. 

I will give you that Europe have become a band that does require a bit of work to get to really like the new songs.

More so than many other bands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

I will give you that Europe have become a band that does require a bit of work to get to really like the new songs.

More so than many other bands.

Or. You could just save your time and accept the fact that they're horrible and move onto a band worth pursuing. ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Geoff said:

Or. You could just save your time and accept the fact that they're horrible and move onto a band worth pursuing. ;) 

I guess there's always a small part of me that will stick with the bands that made an impression when they were kings.
Unless things dramatically change - Bon Jovi etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/28/2018 at 11:44 AM, CureTheSane said:

I guess there's always a small part of me that will stick with the bands that made an impression when they were kings.
Unless things dramatically change - Bon Jovi etc

I agree, but I'd argue the change in Europe is far, far worse than the change in Bon Jovi. Bon Jovi have had quite a few random  good songs since 1993. Europe, have not one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Geoff said:

I agree, but I'd argue the change in Europe is far, far worse than the change in Bon Jovi. Bon Jovi have had quite a few random  good songs since 1993. Europe, have not one. 

I was going to disagree with that, but then I remembered it's a Vega topic and that has nothing to do with this topic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On vacation at the minute in Crete so have time to catch up on some new releases. Gave this a good listen today at the pool and I have to say it didn't really do much for me, just a ok album. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr.AOR said:

On vacation at the minute in Crete so have time to catch up on some new releases. Gave this a good listen today at the pool and I have to say it didn't really do much for me, just a ok album. 

I thought that on first listen but now I love it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • Posts

    • well I FB messaged WoA and they replied that they are still working on the album so I guess that will be 2019 now. 
    • is Work of Art even out this year? Have not seen any news on that one?? 
    • My most anticipated release ( except Work Of Art and Magic Dance)    Haken  - Vector (October 26/Inside Out Music)   Tracklist: 
      1. Clear
      2. The Good Doctor
      3. Puzzle Box
      4. Veil
      5. Nil By Mouth
      6. Host
      7. A Cell Divides
    • Me likey! It's not as heavy as their older material, but seems to have a bit more lush musicality. I like the synth work. Polishes the edges a bit. Die-hards already hate it, and die-hards *always* hate when a band goes more melodic, so it can't possibly be bad.   
    • New Teaser - Fantasy 2.0 - from the new album Aldo Nova 2.0 Aldo Nova 2.0 Release date 10/19/2018  
    • JD Miller - World War X Lifer - S/T Midnite City - S/T
    • Btw, I'd trade hard for Arcturus - Sham Mirrors on vinyl. ❤️
    • From FB: Hank Erix reveals album cover and tracklist for new album "Nothing Bout Trouble", first single "Fortune Hunter" now on Spotify, iTunes & YouTube.
      Album out on October 5th, 2018 via Livewire/Cargo Records UK. Track listing: 1. Turn To Darkness
      2. Last Chance To Love
      3. Fortune Hunter
      4. Way To Go
      5. Shadowdance
      6. Affair Of The Heart
      7. Electricity
      8. Freak
      9. Giving Up On Love
      10. For The Restless & The Young Line-up: Hank Erix – Lead & Backing vocals
      Michael Palace – Lead Guitars & Backing vocals
      Soufian Ma’Aoui – Bass
      Daniel Johansson – Rhythm Guitars
      Mats Ericsson – Drums
      Micke Jansson – Keyboard / Synth Additional guests: Linnea Vikström – Lead vocals & Backing vocals on ‘Affair Of The Heart’
      Alexander Hagman – Lead guitar on ‘Affair Of The Heart’
      Sam Söderlind – Guitar solo on ‘Last Chance To Love’
      Michael Palace – Additional guitars on ‘Last Chance To Love’
      Victor Lundberg – Backing vocals on ‘Shadowdance’ As Hank reveals: “They say that life is not about being who you are; it’s about becoming who you want to be. After almost a decade with Houston I’ve learned a lot about myself and the music that I love. These songs are me, all me, singing my heart out for the world to hear and this album has been a dream of mine, something to cross off the bucket list if you will”. The album was produced, mixed and mastered by Mats Ericsson at BoomBridge Studios. Recorded at BoomBridge Studios & Erix Music & Production Studios. Executive Producer – Hank Erix. HANK ERIX is the frontman of the Swedish AOR band HOUSTON. A band that have been a bright star in the AOR / Melodic rock sky over their last five releases. The band received the best AOR album 2010 accolade in Classic Rock Magazine and have appeared on several impressive festivals throughout Europe such as Sweden Rock and Download Festival. Over almost a decade with HOUSTON, HANK ERIX has made quite a name for himself in the melodic rock world and it’s finally time for the release of his solo debut ‘Nothing but Trouble’. The album features songs that has been marinating for years and sees the band leader of HOUSTON taking a bold step forward from the expected HOUSTON sound and sees Hank flexing his more hard rocking muscles. Tagging along with HANK ERIX on this 1700cc motorcycle ride of an album are members of Therion, Degreed, Art Nation, Wildness, Kryptonite, Palace, Gutterdämerung & Adrenaline Rush.      
×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.