VEGA - Only Human

Stefan

wow. you must have better ears than me to make such comments.

I can listen to this just fine.

And songwise this is miles better than most stuff this year. 

I think for me they hold a special place as I've seen them many times live now and truly they are brilliant live. 

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I agree...the production job on Stereo Messiah was massive! This new album and their previous one pales in comparison. If this new sound is what they are most happy with then its very sad.

Can I just add that I just listened to some of that Bless The Fall and it' overproduced imo. 

Just sounds manufactured and not real

I bet if you see them live they can' reproduce that sound and just sound like a row

5 minutes ago, Ponen said:

But again, I am not saying the new sound is horrendous. It's just not as good as Stereo Messiah to these ears.

I agree.

But.....

Stereo Messiah was produced by Vega and mastered by Hess just like the new album so what changed?

Budget? Both on Frontiers??? 

Actually it's kinda difficult to pin point wht exactly it is but I for sure prefer the drums sound on SM and WTH. Maybe they have toned down the treble a bit also. 

31 minutes ago, Ponen said:

Actually it's kinda difficult to pin point wht exactly it is but I for sure prefer the drums sound on SM and WTH. Maybe they have toned down the treble a bit also. 

the drum sound is less bass

Quite often these days snare drums are made to sound like bass drums - doesn't sound natural imo. 

I agree it's not as punchy but nothing that mars my enjoyment of the album. 

In fact the difference isn't so bad on Spotify lol which is where I listen the most 

22 hours ago, Glen said:

Can I just add that I just listened to some of that Bless The Fall and it' overproduced imo. 

Just sounds manufactured and not real

I bet if you see them live they can' reproduce that sound and just sound like a row

I assume you haven't seen many of these types of bands then, mate? Because I understand your line or reason here, but without exception, each one of these types of bands match their album production with their live sound... and this even includes outdoor festivals... but is noticeably present indoors. It's 2018 and shit can and should sound amazing, both on album and live. 

I kinda get the over-produced comments, and many agree, but I definitely don't feel the same. I love stuff that just sounds as clear, heavy, and well... well-recorded, as possible. I don't think it's a crime to want your art to sound a million dollars. End of the day, it sure as balls beats the alternative. ;)

Budget could be an issue, but why then are an unsigned No Sleep For Lucy able to record a flawless sounding disc? Why can Newman and JSS make everything they produce sound like gold? Most new albums sound great. The list of examples from bands with less excuse than Vega, who sound better than Vega (production-wise), would be endless. 

But I agree in terms of Vega, it is mostly just that pissy little drum sound which gets me. Overall, as I have agreed with also, it's not a bad production job. The album sounds adequate... but I don't think adequate is good enough for a band of this quality. And ballsy drums probably fix it up entirely, sad as it. :(

I made the point about the comparison between 'Stereo Messiah' and 'Who We Are' when 'Who we are' was released too, and thus completely agree. Like I said at the time, if it ain't broke don't fix it. 

it won't stop my enjoyment of the album. Like I said whilst it's not stella it's perfectly acceptable.

Bit like Midnite City last year ;)

1 hour ago, Geoff said:

I assume you haven't seen many of these types of bands then, mate? Because I understand your line or reason here, but without exception, each one of these types of bands match their album production with their live sound... and this even includes outdoor festivals... but is noticeably present indoors. It's 2018 and shit can and should sound amazing, both on album and live. 

While I agree with your overall premise about quality studio productions, I'm with Glen on a band like Blessthefall not being able to reproduce their sound live.  Just about everything has an artificial aspect to it on the studio recording.  I am not saying they sound bad live it just isn't going to sound like the album even if they pump in some additional sound and effects.   

14 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Every time I listen to Firehouse I ask, "Why can't all drums sound like this?" ;}

For me, its Warrant's DED album. Love the drum sound on that album.

Most (hard) rock albums since about 1986 or so have a great drum sound... except Vega's last two. :(

Few of my faves are that Firehouse album, Ratt's 'Detonator' and Treat's 'Organized Crime'... amongst a million others. ;)

just listened to this album again and I honestly don't know what you lot are moaning about.

Drums sound fine to me. I can only imagine you are complaining of a snare drum sounding like a snare drum rather than a bass drum like it does so often these days ;)

5 hours ago, Geoff said:

Most (hard) rock albums since about 1986 or so have a great drum sound... except Vega's last two. :(

Few of my faves are that Firehouse album, Ratt's 'Detonator' and Treat's 'Organized Crime'... amongst a million others. ;)

Those 3 you mention are so good!!!

19 hours ago, Glen said:

just listened to this album again and I honestly don't know what you lot are moaning about.

Drums sound fine to me. I can only imagine you are complaining of a snare drum sounding like a snare drum rather than a bass drum like it does so often these days ;)

You enjoy your paper cup drums, I'll keep hoping they wake up one day and remember that the last time they went out and saw a band play live with drums that sound like feather dusters on a tin can was... well, it's never happened. Because drums don't sound that weak and pissy unless you're playing a style of music suited to it. Which is not what a melodic (hard) rock band is. 

I've agreed all along the songs are great, but the drums just make it sound weak and polished demo sounding. Just get it back to 'Stereo Messiah' sound quality and I'm happy. 

On 5/21/2018 at 12:25 AM, Crazysam said:

While I agree with your overall premise about quality studio productions, I'm with Glen on a band like Blessthefall not being able to reproduce their sound live.  Just about everything has an artificial aspect to it on the studio recording.  I am not saying they sound bad live it just isn't going to sound like the album even if they pump in some additional sound and effects.   

And I forgot to reply to this... but yeah, I get what you mean and agree that all the effects and stuff won't come through in the live recording - which isn't just confined to these immensely produced modern rock/metal albums. 

But what I meant is just your heart and soul bass/drums/guitars all sound as massive (and tight) live as they do on the recorded albums. ;) 

4 hours ago, Geoff said:

You enjoy your paper cup drums, I'll keep hoping they wake up one day and remember that the last time they went out and saw a band play live with drums that sound like feather dusters on a tin can was... well, it's never happened. Because drums don't sound that weak and pissy unless you're playing a style of music suited to it. Which is not what a melodic (hard) rock band is. 

I've agreed all along the songs are great, but the drums just make it sound weak and polished demo sounding. Just get it back to 'Stereo Messiah' sound quality and I'm happy. 

yeah whatever. I really think you are over exaggerating here as it's just not that bad. 

But i do listen mostly on Spotify through pretty bass heavy cans so maybe that's it. Good production / bad production all sounds pretty much the same on that lol. Gone are my high end audio days 

Fair enough. Just to give you an indication of what it sounds like to me, in my 2018 playlist the alphabetical order run sounds a little like this;

I'm not asking you to compare the songs, but honestly listen to those two songs and tell me one doesn't sound like a finished product and the other a late-stage demo. When I go from a band like this to Vega, the drop in sound quality is significant, as well as when I go from Vega to another band.

Sorry mate - I love Vega, but if you play this aside any well produced product, it just sounds worse and worse. I did say it was adequate earlier, but I do actually really think it sounds like a demo compared to the best produced albums of 2018. :(

7 hours ago, Invisible_man said:

imho that We Were Sharks song above is bad, can this discussion get back on topic of the more superior Vega band?

absolutely.

Yes I agree that song is bad. 

One thing which I love about the new Vega is how it's almost impossible to pick a fav song. Each day another great little hook pops in my head. not necessarily from a chorus either.