Stryper - God Damn Evil

Stefan

From Frontiers:

Stryper. "God Damn Evil". April 20, 2018.

27544663_1644730412249670_19393470148674

1. Take It To The Cross 
2. Sorry
3. Lost
4. God Damn Evil
5. You Don’t Even Know Me
6. The Valley
7. Sea Of Thieves
8. Beautiful
9. Can’t Live Without Your Love
10. Own Up
11. The Devil Doesn’t Live Here

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the cover, and the last couple of albums have been bad-ass, so I'm in. 

...and predictably, the "We're-Sheltered-and-Get-Offended-Over-Everything" portion of their fan base is already giving them a ton of crap on their Facebook about the  use of the term "God Damn." (rolls eyes).

Wait till they realize the release date is 4/20, so they can get their undies in a bunch over that too.:rofl2:

• My Little Pony
On 05/02/2018 at 1:17 PM, Fat Freddy said:

...and predictably, the "We're-Sheltered-and-Get-Offended-Over-Everything" portion of their fan base is already giving them a ton of crap on their Facebook about the  use of the term "God Damn." (rolls eyes).

Wait till they realize the release date is 4/20, so they can get their undies in a bunch over that too.:rofl2:

First, get off Facebook.

Second, tell those fucktards to read their fucking Bibles, for once. Holy shit!

^^ but if I get off Facebook, where will I go to feel smug and superior to all the fucktards?? :rofl2:

Seriously tho, it's comedy gold. Prior to the title/cover reveal, Michael Sweet had been teasing that they were going for something a little more "shocking" and "controversial" this time out, and all their good little nut swingers were like "Yay Stryper! Sounds great! Can't wait! Praise Jeebus!"... then when they posted the new album cover those same "fans" are like "WAAAH! We don't like it, It's got a swear word on it!" 

...which of course is exactly what M. Sweet wanted... he's probably been watching his notifications blow up for the past few days and laughing his ass off the whole time.

I too am in. Love the cover and the band.

As for the title and the easily offended i laugh.

Of course if you read the phrase God Damn Evil the context is obvious God damning evil.

Furthermore Goddamn is 1 fucking word nimrods so God Damn is NOT the swear!

Post some samples please!

On 2/5/2018 at 4:17 PM, Fat Freddy said:

I read some of those posts you mentioned, a few people even stated they would download all the songs except the title track or wouldn't buy the album simply because of the title, unreal.  Anyway, I concur, great album cover and I too am looking forward to this one.

• My Little Pony

Michael's one of my favourite dudes in the industry. He's constantly tolling. It would be a lot more funny if so many people didn't fall for it. Every. Damn. Time, though. 

I don't think he does it for the laughs, however. I think he's actually trying to expose those that claim to be followers of Jesus Christ on their understanding of his teachings. But that's a discussion none of you care to get into. ;}

3 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Michael's one of my favourite dudes in the industry. He's constantly tolling. It would be a lot more funny if so many people didn't fall for it. Every. Damn. Time, though. 

He does have a very dry, sarcastic sense of humor... which is probably why so many "fans" think he's a dick, cuz a lot of times that sarcasm (esp. in his online posts) is very subtle.

I don't think he does it for the laughs...I think he's actually trying to expose those that claim to be followers of Jesus Christ on their understanding of his teachings.

Yep, he obviously gets a kick out of messing with the more gullible members of their social media following, and likes to expose the dummies... a while ago  someone asked him what his favorite Christian metal band was...naturally, he said "Black Sabbath," and  predictably, everyone lost their frickin minds. You could practically hear him cackling. 

47 minutes ago, kourosofsteel3 said:

Let's see if he can still sing and compose songs like his last decent one (4 leaf clover with that killer bassline/slap from Timothy...)

Tim didn't play on that album ("Murder By Pride")... that was Tracy Ferrie

• My Little Pony
45 minutes ago, Fat Freddy said:

Tim didn't play on that album ("Murder By Pride")... that was Tracy Ferrie

Rip

I kind of lost all interest in Stryper after Michael Sweets solo stuff - the first of which was amazing.

There have been a few good songs since then but for the most part it all the high pitched screaming that just started to annoy me.

Didn't used to - I dug much of the early stuff of Yellow & Black and THWTD etc.

Maybe it just got old and boring, like WASP did and even Maiden did... 

I'll probably have a listen to this new one if everyone is raving about it I guess.

I kind of lost all interest in Stryper after Michael Sweets solo stuff 

Stryper might as well *be* Michael Sweet's solo stuff nowadays, haha. :D He writes the songs, produces the albums, they record them in his home studio,  he tells Robert and Oz when and where they can pee, etc. 

About the only thing he doesn't do is burn the CDs himself and deliver them to retailers. :rofl2:

haha, yeah I guess.

The main difference is that he makes Stryper CD's for a certain demographic with a certain sound.

His solo stuff he can do what he wants, and I prefer this rather than trying to the screaming and high pitch.

On 2/5/2018 at 4:17 PM, Fat Freddy said:

...predictably, the "We're-Sheltered-and-Get-Offended-Over-Everything" portion of their fan base is already giving them a ton of crap on their Facebook about the  use of the term "God Damn." (rolls eyes).

They have an album called "To Hell With the Devil." They have a song called "Rock the Hell Out of You." By now, you would think the "fans" would have figured out that this band likes to engage in what I shall call "Christian swearing." My favorite comments are the ones begging the band to put a comma after "God" so that the title won't be blasphemous. Who knew holy commas were a thing?

So I went back and listened to the last couple of albums I've got

Murder By Pride is pretty damn good.
Some songs are exceptional, others are good enough.

No More Hell To Pay
I really struggled to find anything I liked at all on this.

Fallen I don't own, and won't unless a few people here come out and say that it is a lot more like MBP than NMHTP

Um...yikes.
It was sounding pretty good till that mongoloid chorus kicked in... good grief, what the hell was that?  

eric-cartman-bravo.jpg

"TAKE IT TO THE CROSS TAKE IT TO THE CROSS TAKE IT TO THE CROSS TAKE IT TO THE CROOOOOOOOSSSSS!"

Some of the fans on Facebook are calling this a grower, and I can sort of see that, but I doubt there's a single Stryper fan out there who was hoping this would be what the first single sounded like. Personally, I don't hate it ... but it damn well better not be the best song on the album.

• My Little Pony

I read Michael's explanation of the song, and immediately thought it won't be for me. I'm not into Thrash, so if it's close to Thrash I doubt I'll like it.

Here goes...

He he.

Uhm.

Seems as if that chorus wasn't even from the same song. I guess there were a couple ways to go with that and they chose poorly. The verse is fine and I will even accept the slowed down cookie monster "vocals" at the end but good gravy old guys trying to hard. I certainly could hear that chorus at the same clip as the verse and with the signature Stryper layering of harmonies.

Someone should edit the chorus back out.