No Hot Ashes - s/t

Stefan

376414.jpg

5A62404B-no-hot-ashes-to-release-self-ti

Debut album out March 23 on Frontiers. Press release:

NO HOT ASHES are a melodic rock group who formed in early ‘80’s Belfast. The rock scene of those days was a welcome alternative to the violence that was happening on the streets and ‘The Ashes’ became local favourites releasing one single independently. They signed to GWR Records in 1988, with a line-up featuring original members Dave Irvine on guitar and Paul Boyd on bass, joined by new singer Tommy Quinn on vocals, Tommy Dickson on keyboards and Steve Strange on drums. Moving to London and supporting the likes of Mama’s Boys and Magnum it seemed their star was rising but problems with getting their debut album released brought dissolution and one-by-one band members returned to Northern Ireland. By the end of 1990 ‘The Ashes’ fire went out and they called it a day.

Burn through the years to September 2013 and NO HOT ASHES are given two reasons to reform. One was to play a tribute gig for Belfast’s famous Rosetta Bar, the centre for Northern Ireland’s rock and metal scene from the early 80’s, which had recently closed. The other was to remember old rock friends no longer with them. The Rosie, as it was affectionately known, was a venue very dear to The Ashes hearts as their club night ‘Cinders’ was started by their old manager Stephen Magee, a mad PR genius who passed way before his time. They enjoyed playing again so much… they couldn’t stop and since the beginning of 2014 they’ve supported Aerosmith, Foreigner, FM and UFO. Playing Hard Rock Hell AOR, Download, London Calling, Ramblin' Man and Steelhouse festivals and most recently Rockingham!

They still sound and feel like a classic 80’s rock band and after tracking new demos, the band sent the material to Frontiers who loved what they heard (strongly rooted in the classic tradition of British Melodic Rock à la FM, Heartland, Def Leppard and Bon Jovi) and signed them for the release of a new record.

“There's less hair but more rock,” said Davey Irvine. “And it’s great to get back with the guys after all these years. I'm really enjoying writing the new material and I think we've all aged well musically.” And, as original singer Eamon Nancarrow points out: “With NO HOT ASHES I have always felt that we had some unfinished business. What I want from this reunion, and the up and coming gigs is to prove we could have made it given the breaks. Oh yeah and to show my kids that their Dad rocks!”

With old crowd favorites such as “I’m Back” and “Summer Rain” in the set, the Ashes have also been writing new material, such as the epic ballad ‘Boulders’ and the all out rocker ‘Glow’ which will set fire to the new record.

For drummer Steve Strange, the only member to have carved a successful career in the music industry, it is the songs that make this adventure worthwhile: “These tunes have stayed in my head since we split up and I’ve always felt they needed to be heard by a wider audience. When the band clicked at first rehearsal it made sense to see how far we could take this.”

All members in the current line¬ up below have played a significant part in the band’s history with Dave Irvine being the only member to have been in all manifestations. NO HOT ASHES are Dave Irvine on guitar, Nial Diver on guitar, Paul Boyd on Bass, Steve Strange on drums, Tommy Dickson on keyboards, along with the original singer Eamon Nancarrow. The Reunion EP featuring re-recorded tracks from their early days is available for free download from Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/no¬hot¬ashes¬reunion.

Tracklisting:

1. Come Alive
2. Good To Look Back
3. Satisfied
4. Boulders
5. I’m Back
6. Glow
7. Over Again
8. Jonny Redhead
9. Souls
10. Running Red Lights

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Listening to the album for the first time... it's different. Good, but odd. The lead vocals remind me if classic '90s Cher (her rock albums) sang country music.

It's not bad by any stretch of the imagination, just not what I was expecting.

Probably helps if you haven't seen a picture of the band before listening. :P

The singers voice reminds me of Toby Jepson , at times. 

The more I listen to it the more I like it. 

Quite probably the only band ever named after a warning label on a bin/trash can. 

I like this album very much. All the fast songs range from good to very good. The slower ones don't do much for me, but I'm not generally a ballads kind of guy. 

I don't get the Cher analogy at all, but it was funny. 

It will definitely get a lot of playing time. 

Recommended. 

On 3/28/2018 at 12:35 PM, heavyharmonies said:

it's different. Good, but odd. The lead vocals remind me if classic '90s Cher (her rock albums) sang country music.

It's not bad by any stretch of the imagination, just not what I was expecting.

I listened to this today and quickly realized your description of the singer at times sounding like Cher doing country rock was spot on.  Overall, a nice album, but the vocals seemed a little out of place

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...