EUROPE - "Walk The Earth" (2017)

AlphaMale

from multiple online sources:

EUROPE+-+Walk+The+Earth+-+front.jpg

30 years on from the release of The Final Countdown, EUROPEare bigger and better than they have ever been. Following on from the success of the 2015 release War Of Kings and the 30th anniversary recording at the Roundhouse in London, the new LP "Walk The Earth" is due for release on the 20th October 2017.

Opening up with a barnstormer of a title track you know you are in for an exceptional ride. 

Tempest’s vocals are almost Gillan-esque in their delivery and this should fit nicely with their upcoming tour with the mighty Deep Purple. Norum’s guitar work is hot and heavy and his penchant for intricate guitar lines is clearly in evidence here on this record.

For some this LP may take some listening to in order to really appreciate the production and songwriting, however the more you listen the more you get from the album and as such this is what makes the recording a winner.

Sure, there are the catchy melodic tunes as well like “Election Day” and the out and out riff driven powerhouse tracks such as “Haze”, but somehow there is a lot more to this record. At times it’s dark, moody and melancholic. 

The kind of records that makes you listen, and then listen again. This is what makes it such a good recording.

Europe really are at the top of their game here and long may it continue, if this album is anything to go by we are in for a real treat as the band continues to develop.

HIGHLY Recommended

01 - Walk The Earth
02 - The Siege
03 - Kingdom United
04 - Pictures
05 - Election Day
06 - Wolves
07 - Gto
08 - Haze
09 - Whenever You're Ready
10 - Turn To Dust

Joey Tempest – lead vocals
John Norum – guitars
John Leven – bass
Mic Michaeli – keyboards
Ian Haugland – drums

PRE ORDER:
www.amazon.co.uk/Walk-Earth-Special-1DVD-Digi-book/dp/B07584R6XX

And the OFFICIAL VIDEO:

Got it yesterday. Not watched the DVD yet, but it will come as no surprise that this album is pretty much exactly what you would expect. More of a similar style to last few albums.

• My Little Pony

Haha! I was seriously just considering posting this last night, because I thought it was funny there was no mention of this prior to release. At least on this site, anyway. Save the upcoming thread. But we obviously don't really give a shit about this band anymore. Do we?

What an abomination of an album. Even Joey Tempest is starting to sound poor, vocally. I honestly can't fathom the talent these guys have wasted for so many years. Every time I hear this drab shit, I wonder if everyone in this band is happy. Do none of them have a melodic bone left in their body? Is Norum just dragging them along on this shitty ride of shit? Because this music is a fucking horror movie. 

Funnily enough, and I have this from a fairly reliable source, Europes direction is 100% due to Joey Tempest.

He apparently is a massive control freak, and actually tells band members off in front of other people if he is not happy with them.

John Norum has even had the shit kicked out of him verbally in front of fans.

I don't mind what was posted.

For me Europe pretty much was over after Prisoners In Paradise

The first JT solo album was amazing, second one average.

These sound a mix between JT solo and Europe to me, so I'll pick it up.

6 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Funnily enough, and I have this from a fairly reliable source, Europes direction is 100% due to Joey Tempest.

He apparently is a massive control freak, and actually tells band members off in front of other people if he is not happy with them.

John Norum has even had the shit kicked out of him verbally in front of fans.

Oh dear. Well for what it’s worth, my apologies to John Norum. Bad assumption on my behalf. 

All my my comments on the “quality” of the music still stand, though. Looks like it’s Tempest then, who has completely murdered a once great band. 

I thought it was John Norum myself. I mean, I thought he left Europe because he did not like that melodic sound in the direction of Prisoners In Paradise.

Yea I loved the first two Joey Tempest solo albums but his 3rd album was where he went to the dark side.

This is one band that was made for that 80's melodic sound and they are only wasting their time trying to do otherwise.

On ‎25‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 12:47 PM, Geoff said:

What an abomination of an album. Even Joey Tempest is starting to sound poor, vocally. I honestly can't fathom the talent these guys have wasted for so many years. Every time I hear this drab shit, I wonder if everyone in this band is happy. Do none of them have a melodic bone left in their body? Is Norum just dragging them along on this shitty ride of shit? Because this music is a fucking horror movie. 

You won't believe how many people on Facebook love this album.

Including former members of this Forum!

• My Little Pony
5 hours ago, Glen said:

You won't believe how many people on Facebook love this album.

Including former members of this Forum!

Yes, I will. They all loved the last one, too.

I dont love this album, but I do like it.

Like most new Europe, there are some really good songs, and some I could do without.

Last look at Eden was the last album though with an actual great song on it though. And that song is actually my favourite Europe track, bar none ... The Beast.

Sorry dudes, I can't give them any lenience at all. 

In all honesty, there's no point in them recording a melodic rock album through gritted teeth and without an ounce of actual desire to do so. It's their lives and they have every single right to do what makes them happy and make the music that they love to make. I just hope they are all on board with this direction, and that it's not just one member steering a horrific ship for all of them.

If there's people out there that manage to like this, good luck to 'em. I can say with 100% clear cut conviction that I will never be one of these people. I just think they sound absolutely dreadful. 

If I listed the 10 worst albums recorded by bands that were once good, I believe every album from Europe since they got back together would be in there... definitely the ones from 'Last look at Eden' onwards. 

The worst of all is probably Wild Side's s/t album, then Dokken's 'Shadowlife' would probably be second. Warrant's 'Belly to belly' and Sven Gali's 'Inwire' would be in the top 10 too, and then you're probably looking at Europe to single-handedly round out that top 10. So sad to see. 

More mid-tempo, 70's hard rock influenced songs like their last few albums.  A couple of ok tunes, like the title track, but if I want to listen to this style I'll put on a Deep Purple cd.  If they aren't going to return to the melodic rock of the 80's then I'd actually prefer they return to the modern rock style they used on Secret Society and Start from the Dark.  I know those weren't great albums, but in my opinion they sounded fresher and had a few stand out tracks on them.

• 6 months later...
On 10/28/2017 at 10:50 PM, Geoff said:

If I listed the 10 worst albums recorded by bands that were once good, I believe every album from Europe since they got back together would be in there... definitely the ones from 'Last look at Eden' onwards. 

The worst of all is probably Wild Side's s/t album, then Dokken's 'Shadowlife' would probably be second. Warrant's 'Belly to belly' and Sven Gali's 'Inwire' would be in the top 10 too, and then you're probably looking at Europe to single-handedly round out that top 10. So sad to see. 

Pffft.
Maybe you expect too much or don't put the time in to letting the songs work into your system.
I'm not saying the last 4 albums are amazing, but there are some good and great songs on them,
Sorry you didn't get to enjoy them.