Stefan

Shiraz Lane - Carnival Days

I really like this album. It's has a nice variety and sounds good throughout. It's hard rock and melodic all at the same time. His voice also reminds me of Firehouse in spots. A nice surprise to start off 2018.

Great effort from the guys, especially liking the vocals / vocal arrangements and backing vocals throughout the album. I also appreciate that the lyrical themes have changed a bit, while still positive (Hope for example) I feel they're not as corny as they were on the first record. Great rocking moments but the band also really shines during quieter moments in the 3 ballads (Reincarnation features a heavier part as well), the verses for example combine beautiful vocal melodies with huge and open sounding instruments thanks to the good production, top notch!

Can't wait to finish work today and get in the car so I can continue listening to this album :D

Tidalwave my favourite song of the year so far. 

Really strong album. 

Shot of Life is a great song, love the anticipation that builds throughout the beginning, the riffs, chorus and the overall energy. But WHY ON EARTH did they record an Egyptian / Oriental sounding guitar solo? I absolutely hate those and in this case it tarnishes an otherwise amazing song and destroys the momentum it had built up to that point

Has anyone heard the Japanese bonus track?

Huh. Maybe I need to give this album a listen. 

Absolutely loving this album.  I'd basically put The Crown, Harder to Breathe, People Like Us and Shangri-La as my "10" songs.  Then I'd put Tidal Wave, War Of Mine just a notch below as probably "9.5" songs but really like both a lot.  Then the others are all 8.5-9.0 songs that I still like plenty.  Carnival Days is quirky but an opener that puts the listener on notice.  Gotta Be Real and Hope are both solid ballads.  Shot of Life is a catchy tune and Reincarnation is interesting...almost a GNR "Coma" roller coaster type song.

With how much I've liked this album I've went back to the first album to really give it a better listen as I really never paid much attention to it outside of just sampling a song here or there on YT.  While clearly not on the same level as this new one, I'm finding a handful of songs that are growing on me.  Maybe I'm warming up to the singers voice although he's definitely a bit screamy/high pitched in a few songs on the debut.

This new one really hits a sweet spot though.  It's melodic as heck but still rocks with good variety.  And to me the production sounds fantastic while the singer is showing more range and control.

Agree with Peter above....Really strong album.  Even with all the great releases in 2017, if this had been released in 2017 I probably would've ranked it in my top 3.  I know there are great releases coming this year but it's set the bar high for me.

10 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Huh. Maybe I need to give this album a listen. 

My thoughts exactly.

Just started properly listening to this and it is pretty great stuff

Really good, early favourites would be Carnival days, the crown and people like us

An album I can listen to over and over and have been for the past six weeks

28 minutes ago, simo said:

An album I can listen to over and over and have been for the past six weeks

Same for me :)

Amazing how much they improved from the debut.

Wasn't blown away the couple of times I've listened to it. I'll give a few more tries. 

12 minutes ago, Gotthardline said:

Still playing this all the time

Definitely my favourite melodic rock release this year so far

Agree.  

Still my favorite release this year also.

I love this album - couple of weak songs but overall a great album !

Lovin' this,best thing they've done and one of the better albums this year.