Shiraz Lane - Carnival Days

Stefan

I really like this album. It's has a nice variety and sounds good throughout. It's hard rock and melodic all at the same time. His voice also reminds me of Firehouse in spots. A nice surprise to start off 2018.

Great effort from the guys, especially liking the vocals / vocal arrangements and backing vocals throughout the album. I also appreciate that the lyrical themes have changed a bit, while still positive (Hope for example) I feel they're not as corny as they were on the first record. Great rocking moments but the band also really shines during quieter moments in the 3 ballads (Reincarnation features a heavier part as well), the verses for example combine beautiful vocal melodies with huge and open sounding instruments thanks to the good production, top notch!

Can't wait to finish work today and get in the car so I can continue listening to this album :D

Shot of Life is a great song, love the anticipation that builds throughout the beginning, the riffs, chorus and the overall energy. But WHY ON EARTH did they record an Egyptian / Oriental sounding guitar solo? I absolutely hate those and in this case it tarnishes an otherwise amazing song and destroys the momentum it had built up to that point

Has anyone heard the Japanese bonus track?

Absolutely loving this album.  I'd basically put The Crown, Harder to Breathe, People Like Us and Shangri-La as my "10" songs.  Then I'd put Tidal Wave, War Of Mine just a notch below as probably "9.5" songs but really like both a lot.  Then the others are all 8.5-9.0 songs that I still like plenty.  Carnival Days is quirky but an opener that puts the listener on notice.  Gotta Be Real and Hope are both solid ballads.  Shot of Life is a catchy tune and Reincarnation is interesting...almost a GNR "Coma" roller coaster type song.

With how much I've liked this album I've went back to the first album to really give it a better listen as I really never paid much attention to it outside of just sampling a song here or there on YT.  While clearly not on the same level as this new one, I'm finding a handful of songs that are growing on me.  Maybe I'm warming up to the singers voice although he's definitely a bit screamy/high pitched in a few songs on the debut.

This new one really hits a sweet spot though.  It's melodic as heck but still rocks with good variety.  And to me the production sounds fantastic while the singer is showing more range and control.

Agree with Peter above....Really strong album.  Even with all the great releases in 2017, if this had been released in 2017 I probably would've ranked it in my top 3.  I know there are great releases coming this year but it's set the bar high for me.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, Gotthardline said:

Still playing this all the time

Definitely my favourite melodic rock release this year so far

Agree.  

Still my favorite release this year also.

• 1 month later...
On 1/10/2018 at 5:27 AM, tts42572 said:

Sound-wise the singer reminds me a bit of the singer from Bad City.  Maybe it's just because I listened to that album earlier this week lol.  Let's hope he can stay out of jail though ;)

I was thinking they had a Bad City vibe also!

1 hour ago, phaffas said:

I was thinking they had a Bad City vibe also!

Yes. I was just listening to Harder To Breathe, and said the same thing about them sounding like Bad City here and there.  lol

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah OK.

So here is where I stand.
I find a heap of new music here. 
But it's hard work opening threads about bands I haven't heard before, because a lot of the time they are syrupy synth riddled AOR bands that I'm not a bit fan of.
No problem there, not complaining, but with limited time, often I miss a cool band that slips through the cracks.

I saw that a few people had this album on their top 5 so I found the thread and listened to some samples.
they sounded OK, so I listened to the album (well I am listening right now, up to track 9 currently)

Well fuck me if this isn't going to be my album of the year.
This band reminds me A LOT of my all time favorite album - Bad City - Welcome To The Wasteland
So much so that I found myself Googling to see if Josh Todd was singing. When doing so, I see on Melodic Rock that they are ripping on the singer, calling him the weak link.
WTF? He makes the album for me. Weird.

Anyway, what a killer disc this is.
Grateful to find this sort of music through this site.

On 9/29/2018 at 8:41 PM, CureTheSane said:

Yeah OK.

So here is where I stand.
I find a heap of new music here. 
But it's hard work opening threads about bands I haven't heard before, because a lot of the time they are syrupy synth riddled AOR bands that I'm not a bit fan of.
No problem there, not complaining, but with limited time, often I miss a cool band that slips through the cracks.

I saw that a few people had this album on their top 5 so I found the thread and listened to some samples.
they sounded OK, so I listened to the album (well I am listening right now, up to track 9 currently)

Well fuck me if this isn't going to be my album of the year.
This band reminds me A LOT of my all time favorite album - Bad City - Welcome To The Wasteland
So much so that I found myself Googling to see if Josh Todd was singing. When doing so, I see on Melodic Rock that they are ripping on the singer, calling him the weak link.
WTF? He makes the album for me. Weird.

Anyway, what a killer disc this is.
Grateful to find this sort of music through this site.

I cant agree with you more... so far my album of the year and one i keep coming back to me. It also reminds me of Bad City, however  i think this has a more complete mature sound and as if it were plucked from 1991, whereas Bad City had some modern rock leanings.

As for this singer? Love his style and attitude.

My fav songs of this one in no particular order

Carnival Days
Harder To Breathe
Gotta Be Real
Shangri-La
War Of Mine
Hope
Reincarnation

Those are the great songs, plenty of other good songs as well.
Reincarnation is probably the stand out for me. Epic song.

Great album and amazing how much they improved from the first album.

Love the variety of songs on this and just has a great sound.

Definitely has been one of the albums this year that has really stood out for me and a really well done melodic hard rock album IMO.

Great cd,sounds brilliant,as pointed out the change from the debut release is unreal,I had little or no time for that so gave this one a wide berth for a few weeks after release...but wow! was I glad I gave it a chance eventually,think the singer helps make it what it is, as opposed to sounding like something being dragged through fog that shouldn't be dragged through fog on the debut  :)