Jump to content
tts42572

Maverick - Cold Star Dancer (New Album Mar 2018)

Recommended Posts

Wow, this has been out a while, ay? Must catch up... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Wow, this has been out a while, ay? Must catch up... 

no it's been out 1 day lol ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weirdly I have never listened to them before and took a punt, preordering the CD direct from them back in August last year.

Turned up today and my name is in the liner notes ... unexpected surprise :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Weirdly I have never listened to them before and took a punt, preordering the CD direct from them back in August last year.

Turned up today and my name is in the liner notes ... unexpected surprise :D

listen to Quid Pro Quo - it's better imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most places want about £40 for a copy of that one, but luckily I stumbled on a copy on a random website for about £10 or so, and ordered it yesterday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Most places want about £40 for a copy of that one, but luckily I stumbled on a copy on a random website for about £10 or so, and ordered it yesterday.

great album with stunning solos. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have to say I'm really digging this album and think they did a fantastic job with this.

Yeah, it's a tad heavier than the last two but sounds great.  Among the rockers I really like Cold Star Dancer, Kiss Of Fire and Viper.  And I also really like the more melodic numbers in Seize The Day, Goodbye and Kings that lend a little variety and break up the rockers.

I'm not sure yet how I'll rank it among their other two albums.  I liked Big Red a bit better than Quid Pro Quo and my initial reaction is that I like this one a little bit more than Big Red.  For me, Big Red tailed off just a bit in the second half and I'm liking this new one basically from the first note all the way to the end.  It's really splitting hairs though.....All are great albums.

The only thing i don't like is the digipak it came in.  Oh how I wish artists would stop using these things as they always just end up getting bent, frayed, or whatever.  I know it's not the "collectible" thing to do, but I either cut these things up to try making jewel case inserts out of them or scan them and make my own inserts.  So in that regard the first two albums had a leg up even though this might be the best artwork of the three.  It's a shame they wasted it with digipaks even though I guess digipaks are better than no CD at all.  Okay....sorry for the rant.

Ultimately it's the music that matters and enjoying this one a lot.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think it has anything to do with being more collectable, it's two fold. One because it is more environmentally friendly using less plastic, and two is probably cheaper to produce.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, tts42572 said:

Have to say I'm really digging this album and think they did a fantastic job with this.

Yeah, it's a tad heavier than the last two but sounds great.  Among the rockers I really like Cold Star Dancer, Kiss Of Fire and Viper.  And I also really like the more melodic numbers in Seize The Day, Goodbye and Kings that lend a little variety and break up the rockers.

I'm not sure yet how I'll rank it among their other two albums.  I liked Big Red a bit better than Quid Pro Quo and my initial reaction is that I like this one a little bit more than Big Red.  For me, Big Red tailed off just a bit in the second half and I'm liking this new one basically from the first note all the way to the end.  It's really splitting hairs though.....All are great albums.

The only thing i don't like is the digipak it came in.  Oh how I wish artists would stop using these things as they always just end up getting bent, frayed, or whatever.  I know it's not the "collectible" thing to do, but I either cut these things up to try making jewel case inserts out of them or scan them and make my own inserts.  So in that regard the first two albums had a leg up even though this might be the best artwork of the three.  It's a shame they wasted it with digipaks even though I guess digipaks are better than no CD at all.  Okay....sorry for the rant.

Ultimately it's the music that matters and enjoying this one a lot.  

quid pro quo all the way for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah Big Red was only ok.

Hope this one is better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As with WET, if I had to rate their albums it'd be in order of release. 

Absolutely love the musicianship and tightness of the band on the new CD - great production too. It's a great sounding album... just doesn't have the hooks of the previous ones. A couple of choruses go by without even noticing. 'Kings' is an amazing song with a killer pre-chorus... and then, pretty much just no chorus. 'Ex Machina' and 'Kings' are my favourite songs of a solid bunch... but no real stand out highlights here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2018 at 11:06 PM, Captain Howdy said:

Most places want about £40 for a copy of that one, but luckily I stumbled on a copy on a random website for about £10 or so, and ordered it yesterday.

 

The place I got mine (on discount back then) still is selling it for 10.49 euro;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still waiting for my copy of Big Red, as I assume the CD is coming from outside the UK as with many Amazon marketplace sellers, but I have spent time listening to both of the other albums a few times.

I would be hard pushed to say which album is better, but would possibly give the nod to the new one as my two fave songs appear on that (Seize the day and Goodbye).

 

I am glad I took a punt on the new album, as they are a damn good band.

 

One thing I did notice, and looking at the video comments on youtube, In our blood from Quid pro quo, is how much I kept wanting to sing Rebel yell during the verses. Not a direct rip, but certainly a very similar tune.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mate, we share exactly the same favorite songs, but I don't think I'll get the new one, even if the vinyl version is tempting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2018 at 12:02 AM, Captain Howdy said:

One thing I did notice, and looking at the video comments on youtube, In our blood from Quid pro quo, is how much I kept wanting to sing Rebel yell during the verses. Not a direct rip, but certainly a very similar tune.

That's an ok song.

It ain't no Rebel Yell though....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it isnt, but listen to that verse, and the music is very very similar to Rebel yell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2018 at 10:02 AM, Captain Howdy said:

One thing I did notice, and looking at the video comments on youtube, In our blood from Quid pro quo, is how much I kept wanting to sing Rebel yell during the verses. Not a direct rip, but certainly a very similar tune.

I agree, the verses sound very similar to "Rebel Yell".   The new album has grown on me after giving it a few more listens.  All three albums are good, but I still prefer Quid Pro Quo a bit more

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

I know it isnt, but listen to that verse, and the music is very very similar to Rebel yell.

Yeah I know, taking the piss a bit :)

For me Rebel Yell is one of those songs that absolutely stands out amongst the pack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Solid album, nothing more nothing less, imo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×