H.E.A.T - Into The Great Unknown

Stefan

Overall it isnt as good as the last two albums, but it is still H.E.A.T, and has some really good songs on it. I do think it is lacking any real shit kicking anthems that the last two albums were full of, and the lead single was a poor choice considering it sounds nothing like the rest of the album. That said, it fits well within the context of the album, just not as a stand alone single.

As for the Erik vs Kenny thing. Erik is the far better singer, with more range. Kenny was ok, but way to bland for me.

Hell, had Erik not joined I probably would not have continued buying the bands output as I really could not give a toss about the first two albums.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for ''shit kicking '' not sure if I would call it that but Point of no Return and Emergency are definitely GREAT songs that instantly clicked and still rock when listening to them today over 3 years later

Yep for sure - definitely want those to stay on the live setlist.

Yes, 2 great songs right there. Emergency being my favorite from TDTW.

As for ''shit kicking '' not sure if I would call it that but Point of no Return and Emergency are definitely GREAT songs that instantly clicked and still rock when listening to them today over 3 years later

Exactly! No songs of this caliber on the new record

Matter of opinion.

Personally I prefer Eye of The Storm to both. Stunning ballad. And Bastards and Blind are excellent too....of the songs I've heard.

Granted Point of No Return is a fabulous song but let's be honest that was head and shoulders the best track on TDTW and probably better than anything on ATN too so a bit unfair to compare that song.

What about the lesser songs on TDTW - imo only about half that album was great, the other half was pretty good but not the shit kicking awesome everyone seems to be referring to??

Just saying.....

After one listen I love it

The first 4 songs are especially great

I love do you want it aswell , it starts out really weird but its a very catchy song

I'm not too crazy about we rule , its very queen sounding which isnt necesarily a bad thing but after first listen not great

Looking forward to hearing more

I guess what's most disappointing is that I had certain expectations due to Dave being back in the band which weren't met

Aye, Same. I'm more of an Eric Rivers fan, so when Dave originally left I thought "bummer, but we still have Eric" - Only for Eric to leave down the road. He's been a big influence on my guitar playing so I was genuinely sad that he was gone. Dave returning was really the best replacement for him though, so I was super excited to see what he'd do on the new album. Definitely part of why I love the first two albums is just how melodic the leads are - wish we had more of that on this release, and just more of Dave's playing in general.

Though I am happy that we're getting more keys :)

Matter of opinion.

Personally I prefer Eye of The Storm to both. Stunning ballad. And Bastards and Blind are excellent too....of the songs I've heard.

Granted Point of No Return is a fabulous song but let's be honest that was head and shoulders the best track on TDTW and probably better than anything on ATN too so a bit unfair to compare that song.

What about the lesser songs on TDTW - imo only about half that album was great, the other half was pretty good but not the shit kicking awesome everyone seems to be referring to??

Just saying.....

Agree with you....songs like We Will Never Die, All The Nights, Laughing at Tomorrow aren't very spectacular to me....Even though I still like the songs for what they are. As I said earlier, I think they've been pretty varied on their past couple albums and this new one just continues the variety.

Agree on Eye Of The Storm too,,,,fantastic song.

I do think these first 3 song choices are fairly odd choices. Yeah, they're all probably the most "commercial" songs on the album so I get it from that respect. But I was really expecting a rock song next like Bastard or Blind.

Absolutely loving this album. I do think it tails off slightly in the last few songs after the barn burner Blind Leads The Blind but the last 3 are still catchy tunes.

Here's audio of Eye Of The Storm that might actually stay up now that it's officially released....

Can't stress enough how great "Redefined" is

Easily the best song on the new record. Jeez this thread got a lot of new posts overnight.

I think the main point several people have already made, is that although HEAT release high calibre albums, with the Gronwall years, the order in terms of quality is undeniably the same as the order of release. Each album is unfortunately getting a little weaker as they come out.

Like I said, it's still a great product, but there's quite a few songs here that really just scrape in at a pass mark. 'Best of the broken,' 'We rule,' 'Do you want it,' and 'Into the great unknown' are all far from amazing songs. All solid... but none of the quality I'd expect from HEAT. And then 'Shit City' is actually pretty weak. Easily the worst song on the album for me. Even 'Bastard of Society' is only a bit better than those first few for me.

The four I didn't mention do save the album a bit, but the ratio of gems to "fillers" is getting smaller every time. 'Time on our side' is a nice momentum building tune, 'Eye of the storm' is a pretty typical, but still awesome big ballad. 'Blind leads the blind' is a killer rocker, but does suffer from that horribly shitty sound effect noise they started using on the last album... I think on the 'Mannequin' song. It's just not needed, doods. And as noted first up, the best song, pretty easily for me, is 'Redefined.' Great track.

Anyway, straight up, I can already tell you this won't crack my top 10 in 2017... maybe even my top 20 depending on coming releases... but there's still stuff to like about it. It ain't no 'Address The Nation,' though. ;)

I see everyone had just downloaded this before release date.....sign of the times I guess. I wonder how many will actually buy it now. :whistle:

Contrary to Geoffs comments I pretty much love all the tracks I heard on the Podcast although Shit City was the weaker of the bunch.

I'm pretty certain this will crack my top 10 as HEAT are just a different class to most bands.

I see everyone had just downloaded this before release date.....sign of the times I guess. I wonder how many will actually buy it now. :whistle:

Contrary to Geoffs comments I pretty much love all the tracks I heard on the Podcast although Shit City was the weaker of the bunch.

I'm pretty certain this will crack my top 10 as HEAT are just a different class to most bands.

Well...I've bought 2 copies....The japan version and a signed album from Bengens in Sweden....So I don't feel guilty at all :)

Also certain this will rank high for me even though that probably comes as little surprise. I'm feeling like it'll be right there with Crazy Lixx, Eclipse and Tokyo Motor Fist as my favorites this year. I've really, really liked One Desire, Degreed and Harem Scarem also though...

What a great year for melodic rock....so many quality, superb releases. I think every album I mentioned could've been my favorite album in some prior years.

I'm seriously considering the Jap version as the bonus track is supposed to be great. Might wait til I hear the track on YT?.

Yeah...I hadn't planned to get the Japan version but after seeing a review that the bonus track is a storming rocker that called it the best track on the album....I caved. One more big rocker at the end of the album would serve the album well IMO.

The review I saw was probably paid off by one of the Japan companies lol....And it'll turn out to be some weird pop song with my luck.

Matter of opinion.

Just saying.....

I feel that "Emergency" would have fit nicely on ATN, and Bastard and Blind would have fit nicely on TDTW with Point, Inferno, and Eye.

I actually really like We will Never Die but no one else seems to lol

I think it's a great tune!