H.E.A.T - Into The Great Unknown

Stefan

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• My Little Pony

I like the song but even if you gave me 100 guesses I'd never guess this was H.E.A.T.

Ezzakly!!!

The song is alright. It's not the best Power Pop song out there. But this is not what anyone would ever associate with the H.e.a.t brand. Very very odd direction for them to go.

I like the song but even if you gave me 100 guesses I'd never guess this was H.E.A.T.

Ezzakly!!!

The song is alright. It's not the best Power Pop song out there. But this is not what anyone would ever associate with the H.e.a.t brand. Very very odd direction for them to go.

Does this track not remind you of recent Circus Maximus?

I hope for 9 or 10 killers and just this 1 filler.

LOL! Yes!

• My Little Pony

Ezzakly!!!

Honestly...

...I still haven't heard the latest Circus Maximus.

Ezzakly!!!

Honestly...

Honestly....

I don't like Circus Maximus

• My Little Pony

Ezzakly!!!

Honestly...

Honestly....

I don't like Circus Maximus

Honestly...

I'm not surprised.

that Time song is fine, even at first listen it still grabs you

I think some people just built up their expectations too much

Not a build on on my part, but a let down on theirs! lol :whistle:

Weird choice for 1st single when those podcast tunes are MILES better and more like the H.E.A.T. we love.

This song WILL NOT be a grower.

Not for you maybe. I really like it.

Weird choice for 1st single when those podcast tunes are MILES better and more like the H.E.A.T. we love.

This song WILL NOT be a grower.

Not for you maybe. I really like it.

Well, you're weird. :tumbsup:

I like the tune... nothing wrong with that. Nice atmospheric number. Sure it won't be the best on the album, but it's a nice start for me.

It's grown on me slightly when I've basically started viewing it as more of a ballad. Don't love it by any means, but I guess I'm tricking myself into thinking it's okay as a change of pace song or ballad.

Looking at the songs placement on the album tracklist, It'll probably be alright in the context of the album. We've heard the first 3 songs before it on the spanish podcast and they're all good. And have heard 2 of the songs after it which are also good. I haven't heard Best of The Broken yet but have heard it's an up tempo rocker.

Still feel like it was a poor choice as a lead single though and that they should've come out rocking with Bastard of Society or Blind Leads The Blind first.

I have listened to single enough times to know it is/will not be a grower for me and when I buy the album will skip right over it when I play it.

I actually had it in my head today. It's a powerful tune if you crank it. Would be great live. The lack of guitars does not bother me one bit.

As previously said it's position on the album is clever.

Some will always skip it cos it's not rock enough and that's fair enough. I like this diversity though.

I actually had it in my head today. It's a powerful tune if you crank it. Would be great live. The lack of guitars does not bother me one bit.

As previously said it's position on the album is clever.

Some will always skip it cos it's not rock enough and that's fair enough. I like this diversity though.

Yeah.... sad to say it was in my head today too.

Haven't seen all that many reviews yet...Decent write up...

http://getreadytorock.me.uk/blog/2017/08/album-review-h-e-a-t-into-the-great-unknown/

Back in 2014, with their fourth album ‘Tearing Down the Walls’, and high energy live shows, H.E.A.T seemed on the verge of a major commercial breakthrough as standard bearers for a new breed of melodic rockers. But after a long period of silence, during which guitarist Eric Rivers departed and former axeman Dave Dalone (now renamed Sky Davids) was brought back into the fold, the young Swedes find themselves having to build up a fresh head of steam.

Their eagerly awaited comeback begun in controversial fashion with opening single ‘Time On Our Side’ which showed a startling change of direction, a modern pop song, with a falsetto chorus musically and lyrically owing much to Muse, and divided fans on social media.

However it makes more sense lodged four songs into an album, which has been 18 months in the making and sees them boldly branching out into some new directions while maintaining their strengths of youthful freshness and memorable hooks and choruses.

Many of the bands that inspired them- Bon Jovi, Europe,Whitesnake and Queen all spring to mind- all took the leap of faith into a radical new direction at some point of their careers and though some older fans may have been offended and jumped ship , it probably enhanced their musical longevity.

Opener ‘Bastard of Society’ is classic H.E.A.T, albeit with a stripped back leanness, with ‘who-oahs’ and a chorus that is sure to make it a live favourite, and ‘Shit City’ is in a similar mould, but they are sandwiched by the first curveball in ‘Redefined’, a reflective, slow burner with programmed drums and keyboards the dominant instruments for much of the song, which shows a new maturity.

After the aforementioned ‘Time On Our Side’, ‘Best of the Broken’ has a slightly epic feel with dystopian lyrics and taking a while to get to a typically strong chorus.

They branch out with new sounds throughout the album, and at times the keyboard heavy sound reminded me of fellow Scandinavians HIM and The Rasmus, but the second half is perhaps more reassuring for long-time fans. ‘Eye of the Storm’ has an intro that reminds me of Dare, and more Muse-like falsetto singing from Erik Gronwall who really stretches himself throughout the album.

‘Blind Leads the Blind’ is more traditional Scandi melodic rock with big riffing, a big chorus and some synthesiser work that calls to mind Tony Carey’s magic on ‘Rainbow Rising’ spoiled only by more of the unnecessary bad language that is one of the album’s few downsides.

‘We Rule’ is a grandiose Queen-inspired epic with lush vocal harmonies which can easily be imagined as a scarf-waving closer to the live set while ‘Do You Want It’ is an anthemic, straight ahead rocker, though the synthesisers and falsetto singing on the verse reminded me of Sparks.

The final proof that H.E.A.T have triumphantly pushed at the boundaries of their comfort zone comes in a seven minute plus title track. More conventionally melodic than much of the album, with Sky given a longer guitar solo, lyrically it combines a Europe-like fascination with space with what could be seen as an allegory for their career at this stage- ‘is it the end of the road or a one way ticket to fortune and fame?’

I am confident it will be more like the latter. Some of the experimenting in new directions may baffle excising fans, but without losing their strengths H.E.A.T have reemerged a more rounded and complete band, with a record that I suspect time will view kindly.

**** 1/2

Review by Andy Nathan

So "Redefined" was released today. That one really sucks too, what's going on?

I know we all pretty much agreed it was the weakest song leaked in the Spanish podcast, but I honestly didn't realize it was this bad, when I heard it the first time.

Where? Itunes?