Nickelback vs.Styx

Marginal interest in both. Likely won't grab either. Probably prefer Nickelback over Styx. Can't understand the hate-on for Nickelback especially here in Canada. My guess is all the dipshits deriding them now are the same ones who bought up all their releases and tickets to their soldout shows early on. I own nothing by them but could make a cool playlist from the stuff I like by them and I thought they were fantastic the one time I saw them live.

You know what you're going to get with Nickelback and therefore it's your fault if you listen and don't like it. I also don't mind them. Wouldn't say I'm a fan, as such, but they have some cool stuff. I'm sure I'll enjoy portions of the new album.

Styx? What's that? It's cold down here, but we don't have a fire place, so no, thanks. I don't need any styx. Oh lol, hottt comedy.

But seriously... Styx? Does anyone like them?

Lol, c'mon now, I am sure I'm not the only Styx fan here. Granted, they haven't done anything for years, with the last album of note for me being Edge of the Century in 1990, but during their prime they released several really good pomp rock albums.

Seriously? One of the all-time great AOR bands. Some classic material in the 1970s and 80s (Equinox, Crystal Ball, The Grand Illusion, Paradise Theater). Admittedly, the recent catalogue has been more spotty, but vintage Styx is superb.

The one sample from the new album implied a return to vintage roots, so I plan to listen...

Now I would have said Nickelback interests me more - but only because I absolutely love the tone and colour of the singer's voice and have never heard anything by Styx (which I shall now remedy by you-tubing them).

Was wondering, do you reckon if a band has a frontman with a really distinctive voice.... wait, I'm gonna start a new thread for this one

Nickelback for me

The best thing Styx ever did and will ever do is Edge of the Century.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNqpShzaGv8

Oooh, I shall try that. I listened to them doing a duet with another singer on Hotel California and then gave some of Equinox a try but I wasn't keen on his voice if I'm honest, at least, not on first listening.

Love is a ritual sounds promising

Akshuallee... some might argue that the best thing that Styx ever did was called Damn Yankees. ;)

Is that a separate group they formed?

Really?

• 2023 Gold Donors

With the classic Styx line up you would usually get 5 songs sung by Dennis DeYoung,3 by Tommy Shaw and 1 by James Young.Gotta agree with the admin on this-Styx had a nice run from the mid 70's to the early 80's.

Now I would have said Nickelback interests me more - but only because I absolutely love the tone and colour of the singer's voice and have never heard anything by Styx (which I shall now remedy by you-tubing them).

Was wondering, do you reckon if a band has a frontman with a really distinctive voice.... wait, I'm gonna start a new thread for this one

Whatwhatnow?! I'd hazard a guess to say you might be the only one in the world with these crazy thoughts. If not for his voice, I think Nickelback's fanbase would be 10 times what it is. ;)

Whatwhatnow?! I'd hazard a guess to say you might be the only one in the world with these crazy thoughts. If not for his voice, I think Nickelback's fanbase would be 10 times what it is. ;)

Huh? His voice is gorgeous!

Am I taking you seriously right now? ;)

Am I taking you seriously right now? ;)

I'm thinking, 'probably not' :pimp:

Seriously? One of the all-time great AOR bands. Some classic material in the 1970s and 80s (Equinox, Crystal Ball, The Grand Illusion, Paradise Theater). Admittedly, the recent catalogue has been more spotty, but vintage Styx is superb.

The one sample from the new album implied a return to vintage roots, so I plan to listen...

'Crystal Ball' is one of my all-time favourite songs ... gotta agree - vintage Styx IS superb ...