Not CDs - Music-Related Books

Gibbo

Over the past couple of weeks, I've managed to pick up a whole heap of music-related books:

Gregg Allman: My Cross To Bear

John Lydon: Anger Is An Energy (I've read 'Rotten', and I'm looking forward to this)

Contents Under Pressure - 30 Years Of Rush At Home & Away

Tommy Udo: Nine Inch Nails

Stephen Davis: Hammer Of The Gods (I've read this a number of times, but I lost my copy)

Just Can't Get Enough - The Making Of Depeche Mode

Neil Young: Waging Heavy Peace

Nick Mason: Inside Out

Mick Wall: When Giants Walked The Earth

The Story Of The Ozzy Osbourne Band

Nice - I enjoy reading biogs of bands/Musos/Music genres - even bands I might not be interested in.

The last directly musical book I read was Seasons They Change : The Story of Acid and Psychedelic Folk.

I've loads of faves though like Aerosmith - Walk This Way and the Dan Hedges Yes biog from years ago, Ian Hunter's Diary of a Rock and Roll Star, Trash - The New York Dolls, Jaco about Jaco Pastorious amongst a few.

But one that I've read loads of times is Life in the Bus Lane by Tony Bell - It mainly deals with his time in A.O.K. back in the mid 80's to early 90's (now reformed as Angels or Kings) but I recognise so many of the characters in the book and his details about them are bang on. It completely nails the "rock scene" in Manchester at the time. Really funny and a real nostalgia trip for me that one - one I can really relate to.

At the moment I'm reading - The Man Who Hated Walking by Overend Watts (ex Mott the Hoople...R.I.P.) and although it's not about music it's a bloody good laugh.

• 3 months later...

I have read a crap load of music bios over the past couple of years. Not just about bands/musicians, but about producers, behind-the-scenes stuff about the recording industry, etc. Fascinating stuff!!

Right now I've just started:

Bill Graham Presents: My Life Inside Rock and Out by Bill Graham (memoir of the legendary '60s and '70s concert promoter)

Some others I've recently (in the past year or so) enjoyed. The ones marked with asterisks (**) are highly recommended.

Kicking And Dreaming: A Story of Heart, Soul and Rock N Roll by Ann and Nancy Wilson**

Song Of Spider-Man: The Inside Story of the Most Controversial Musical In Broadway History by Glen Berger

Anger Is An Energy: My Life Uncensored by John Lydon (aka Johnny Rotten)**

Reckless: My Life As A Pretender by Chrissie Hynde**

Living Like A Runaway by Lita Ford

Van Halen Rising: How A Southern California Backyard Party Band Saved Heavy Metal by Greg Renoff**

Snakes! Guillotines! Electric Chairs! My Adventures in the Alice Cooper Group by Dennis Dunaway**

The Road To Woodstock by Michael Lang

Nerd Girl Rocks Paradise City: Faking It In Hair Metal L.A. by Anne Soffee

Tearing Down the Wall of Sound: The Rise and Fall of Phil Spector by Mick Brown**

VJ: The Unplugged Adventures of MTV's First Wave by Martha Quinn, Alan Hunter, Mark Goodman and Nina Blackwood**

I could go on and on but that'll do for now...

• 5 months later...

Just finished  Adam Bomb - 911 is Disconnected so This is Rock and Roll

I figure I'll get the second volume later this month when payday rolls around.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...