Thinking of selling my CD collection

Hey guys,

I've been thinking about selling my CD collection. I have everything stored on my PC and and external hard drive as well as on my iPad. Over the last year or so I've actually been playing music on my new Jackson guitar and Laney GL50H amp head. My CD's are just sitting in my CD rack collecting dust I can use the money to purchase new equipment such as an ENGL Powerball2, Laney Ti100, or a Rivera KR7.

Let me know what you guys think I'm still up in the air about it, my collection is listed on the site. I WILL NOT BE SELLING THEM ON EBAY my ass still hurts from getting raped by Ebay and PayPal fees when I sold my old pair of Oakey Juliet sunglasses. So you guys would get all the benefits of the goodies.

Thanks

Bob

Blasphemy! Persecute the heretic!!!!

Naw, seriously do what ya gotta do. I've downsized several times throughout the last 25 years.

Caveat: There are some discs that I've sold that I wish I now had back.

• My Little Pony

That's a tough call, for sure. But if you can make some money and put that towards another hobby, that's cool too.

Hey, bro, I always remember you as having the best taste in music around this place with your silver quality Japanese cds with their OBIs!

I'd kill to be the 1st here to have a look in your list!

Thanks for your kind words, unfortunately it was time to let it go.

Thanks for everyone's interest, but one anonymous member of this board purchased the whole shootin' match.

Not many around these parts could pull that off. I am sure the first 5 guesses shouldn't count...

Sorry to see the collection go, but I get it. I look at the sea of boxes in my garage and get sad daily at the fact that the collection won't see the light of day for another 5 years...

I've been thinking about parting with my collection.

BUT, most of it isn't ripped to my HDD, so I'd make it a slow process.
Doubt I could bundle up some of the rare and sought after CD's with the generic stuff.
I'd need to know they were going to good homes :)

• 2023 Gold Donors

The songs are all that really matter!

That's my philosophy now too mate.

As with everybody here, there was a time when the only thing that mattered was to have the original cd.

A cassette or cd copy was unacceptable, even if the quality was perfect.

It was all about having the cover/booklet etc.

As i've gotten older, i've realized that it really is all about the music and to be honest, it takes the pressure off.

I don't miss the days of "having to have" a certain disc. Thanks to the internet and digital music formats i can still enjoy my "music" in a far more convenient way.

I don't have half as many cds as most of you guys.

I've gotten rid of a few over the years, but i still have a quality core collection of about 300.

I have them all in digital form now so i think i might be parting ways with them soon as well.

The owner of the company i work for is right in to this style of music (you can imagine how thrilled i was the first time he rocked up to the office in a Queensryche tshirt), as a result i'm thinking of being a huge ass kisser and giving them to him.

I don't now, it could be a good career move.

Hey, bro, I always remember you as having the best taste in music around this place with your silver quality Japanese cds with their OBIs!

I'd kill to be the 1st here to have a look in your list!

Thanks for your kind words, unfortunately it was time to let it go.

If you have any patches + tees lemme know, brotha! :tumbsup:

Doubt I could bundle up some of the rare and sought after CD's with the generic stuff.

Yeah, I've come to the point where I'd let go of my entire collection tomorrow (well, bar maybe about 100 discs) but none of it is converted to MP3, and how do you even start that process? :( Can I hire one of you guys to do it? I'll pay you $0.40.

Anyway, that is an awesome result for you, Bob. You got a price you were happy with? Somewhat reflective of the costs you put into obtaining it?

Yeah, I've come to the point where I'd let go of my entire collection tomorrow (well, bar maybe about 100 discs) but none of it is converted to MP3, and how do you even start that process? :( Can I hire one of you guys to do it? I'll pay you $0.40.

Anyway, that is an awesome result for you, Bob. You got a price you were happy with? Somewhat reflective of the costs you put into obtaining it?

That's the albatross isn't it as in most of our collections we have discs that range from a quarter to a thousand bucks if sold on he open market at the right time to the right person. So pricing would be a bitch. I mean shit 15,000 CDs, speaking for me of course, do you take a buck a disc and assume that the bulk is for the pricey ones and the outcome of unloading the lot is the answer in lieu of dealing with the cherry pickers and then end up with way too many commons that you can't unload?

Sounds epically stressful either way. And then to ship. I'm sure Bobs sale is relatively local so a day or two road trip to deliver or pick up was worth the effort.

Yeah to tell you the truth I only really listen to a handful every weekend when I'm drinking in my man cave shooting pool.

Chris Irvine

China Sky

Witness

Aldo Nova - Twitch

Autograph

After that it's a crap shoot of what I'm in the mood to listen too.

I've pretty much got everything I was wanting everything else just sounds the same with slight differences.

Who knows the buyer may offer some of these up to you guys which I have purchased tons of CD's on this board you might get a chance to get it back.

Besides it's really fun playing the guitar for real, so many different brands of guitars and amps these days, it's not just Marshall, Fender, Gibson, Jackson, and Kramer anymore.

That's the albatross isn't it as in most of our collections we have discs that range from a quarter to a thousand bucks if sold on he open market at the right time to the right person. So pricing would be a bitch. I mean shit 15,000 CDs, speaking for me of course, do you take a buck a disc and assume that the bulk is for the pricey ones and the outcome of unloading the lot is the answer in lieu of dealing with the cherry pickers and then end up with way too many commons that you can't unload?

Sounds epically stressful either way. And then to ship. I'm sure Bobs sale is relatively local so a day or two road trip to deliver or pick up was worth the effort.

15000? R u serious?

Thats like the top 350 every year since 1975!

Gotta have it on cd. I need to see a "collection" and downloads don't do it for me. Playlists are great for parties or work details where you don't have time to change discs but I prefer getting the full album experience and that includes reading through the inserts and credits of each of the 3 to 5 discs I listen to a day.

And as mentioned, the bulk of our collections are worth mere pennies locally, if you can get them to take them off your hands at all. Finding the right buyer is the key. I have a small box I plan on unloading somehow (likely ebay if not here) but they are all doubles or discs I'm not interested in. The rest of my goodies stay put.

Yeah to tell you the truth I only really listen to a handful every weekend when I'm drinking in my man cave shooting pool.

Chris Irvine

China Sky

Witness

Aldo Nova - Twitch

Autograph

After that it's a crap shoot of what I'm in the mood to listen too.

I've pretty much got everything I was wanting everything else just sounds the same with slight differences.

Who knows the buyer may offer some of these up to you guys which I have purchased tons of CD's on this board you might get a chance to get it back.

Besides it's really fun playing the guitar for real, so many different brands of guitars and amps these days, it's not just Marshall, Fender, Gibson, Jackson, and Kramer anymore.

Ha, here's a video of my favorite stationary troubadour (yeah, I'm also an avid Marshall collector).

Yeah, there's no way you could post it, so as you say, you could only really sell to a local buyer. Which kind of rules out people like myself (and fellow Australians), or Nightrain (in Indonesia) and the like, because we are probably one of less than a dozen people in our homelands that have an interest as large as ours in this music. So the odds of finding someone willing to buy out entire collections, locally, is literally 0%. Not going to happen.

Anyway, glad it worked out for you, Bob. May we all get there one day... those of us who want to do it, anyway.