Best of 2016 lists posted!

heavyharmonies

yeah except for that Goran Edman disc................ ;)

Did you listen to it properly? Really nice album, with top quality melodic rock.

Good question - see my comments in the other thread 'can't buy it all'.

In answer, yes I did...........my 'issue' was with accented vocals (which I just cannot stomach these days) and the songs just being a bit too cheesy euro rock.........more so than other releases.

No real bad songs on it, but defo not deserving a top 5 spot...........imho of course.

If I rated it I bet it would have been circa 70%, which is an 'also ran' for me these days.

For the record, it wasn't in my top 10, nor were any of Dan's picks. In fact, the only top 5 pick I shared with anyone's list was Ted Poley, also in Jez's list.

But Cry Of Dawn, Treat and Palace were all in my top 12.

Treat being the favourite is no real big surprise. I have to agree it was fantastic. But the rest kinda surprised me. No love at all for Fates Warning which was an amazing one, not much for Dare nor Theocracy nor Wigelius nor White Widdow. Nothing for Sunstrike...ok I'm less shocked.

But the biggest Wow is the fact no one had The Defiants in their top 5. If I had guessed which is the favourite album of HH members for 2016, that would have been it. I agree with the panel that the Treat was better, but no top 5 from anyone shocks me.

Terry and I must be living on a different planet because his list is as foreign to me as when I watch music award shows on TV. I know none of his top 5 and zilch on his other lists.

Treat being the favourite is no real big surprise. I have to agree it was fantastic. But the rest kinda surprised me. No love at all for Fates Warning which was an amazing one, not much for Dare nor Theocracy nor Wigelius nor White Widdow. Nothing for Sunstrike...ok I'm less shocked.

But the biggest Wow is the fact no one had The Defiants in their top 5. If I had guessed which is the favourite album of HH members for 2016, that would have been it. I agree with the panel that the Treat was better, but no top 5 from anyone shocks me.

Terry and I must be living on a different planet because his list is as foreign to me as when I watch music award shows on TV. I know none of his top 5 and zilch on his other lists.

I think I played The Defiants album 4 times all year and It only just scraped my recommended list, as I was feeling generous. I just really didn't think it was that good compared to lots of others.

I think I played The Defiants album 4 times all year and It only just scraped my recommended list, as I was feeling generous. I just really didn't think it was that good compared to lots of others.

Wow, to each their own and all that, but that really surprises me.

To me the album epitomised everything I love past or present about melodic rock. Great vocals, huge choruses, cool solos and massive production.

Well you are Canadian. ;)

As I mentioned and Geoff commented upon (glad there is another like me down under), I don't consider a release unless I own it and not a digital dl but a physical copy. Also I, as mentioned, deliberately go after albums and bands that are way off the reservation. The goal is twofold discovering new bands and sharing them with others so they get a couple of FB likes or maybe sell an album or two. Look some of them up as you may be pleasantly surprised.

I did listen to many of the more popular and well known releases I just didn't buy any of them. For example I love the latest Metal Church but it isn't in my collection yet so not on my list.

• 2023 Gold Donors

I do not own, nor have I listened to any of those cds that made anyone's Top 5 list.

Maybe I should be Banisheed! or simply Baneed.

I think we're in the same boat but I wear it as a badge of honor !

I do not own, nor have I listened to any of those cds that made anyone's Top 5 list.

Why?

And Terry, I will never understand folk of your ilk, but it would make more sense to me at least if you were turning your back on chart topping artists... say Nickleback or something. I still wouldn't understand it because I am 1000% of the belief that if you like something, you like it. I like Bon Jovi and I like Hotboy or Silly Fools. Some of the bands I like probably had 50 albums pressed overall, and others sold tens of millions worldwide. I just honestly couldn't care less, possibly, at all, about anything other than if the music is good or not.

But I digress. I just find it odd that the bands you're turning your back on probably sell 55 albums per year, compared to the ones you seek, who sell 5 albums per year. It's not like these Frontiers artists are living on mansions on the beach, set up for life and never need to work again. 99% of the bands on this site need as much support as those stragglers on your list. ;)

And, in my humble opinion, they kind of make music sound a bit better too. ;)

Like I said, though, mate... whatever makes you happy. I'm glad you at least treat your ears every now and then to music you actually like for no other reason than it is good music, in your opinion. :)

Nice lists and will serve as a good way to go back and check things I might've missed.

Do have to say that I'm surprised there doesn't seem to be much love at all for the Defiants....Just based upon the other choices I would expect to see it in some top 5's.

Another one not getting any love at all is Maverick - Big Red....Another album I absolutely can't get enough of and am still playing regularly.

Top 5 for me this year would be:

1) Defiants

2) Pretty Maids - Kingmaker

3) Nordic Union

4) Maverick - Big Red

5) Tyketto - Reach

Nice lists and will serve as a good way to go back and check things I might've missed.

Do have to say that I'm surprised there doesn't seem to be much love at all for the Defiants....Just based upon the other choices I would expect to see it in some top 5's.

Another one not getting any love at all is Maverick - Big Red....Another album I absolutely can't get enough of and am still playing regularly.

1) Defiants

3) Nordic Union

4) Maverick - Big Red

5) Tyketto - Reach

Agree on nearly everything but then you stick Tyketto in at no 5 :screwy:

1) Defiants

3) Nordic Union

4) Maverick - Big Red

5) Tyketto - Reach

That's because he has wonderful taste in music! :tumbsup:

• My Little Pony

1) Defiants

3) Nordic Union

4) Maverick - Big Red

5) Tyketto - Reach

That's because he has wonderful taste in music! :tumbsup:

Truu!!

Why?

And Terry, I will never understand folk of your ilk, but it would make more sense to me at least if you were turning your back on chart topping artists... say Nickleback or something. I still wouldn't understand it because I am 1000% of the belief that if you like something, you like it. I like Bon Jovi and I like Hotboy or Silly Fools. Some of the bands I like probably had 50 albums pressed overall, and others sold tens of millions worldwide. I just honestly couldn't care less, possibly, at all, about anything other than if the music is good or not.

But I digress. I just find it odd that the bands you're turning your back on probably sell 55 albums per year, compared to the ones you seek, who sell 5 albums per year. It's not like these Frontiers artists are living on mansions on the beach, set up for life and never need to work again. 99% of the bands on this site need as much support as those stragglers on your list. ;)

And, in my humble opinion, they kind of make music sound a bit better too. ;)

Like I said, though, mate... whatever makes you happy. I'm glad you at least treat your ears every now and then to music you actually like for no other reason than it is good music, in your opinion. :)

I think in my case it's because:

- glam / sleaze scene has died down a bit over the last couple of years

- reviews are mainly more down the melodic rock path from what I interpret from them

1) Defiants

3) Nordic Union

4) Maverick - Big Red

5) Tyketto - Reach

my best of 2016 is similar

1-The Defiants

2-Reckless love-Invader

3-Pretty maids-Kingmaker

4-Bon jovi_This house is not for sale

5-Tyketto-Reach