Streaming taking over the music industry

PeterS

I think buying CDs isn't really an expensive hobby at all, let's say you buy 4 CDs each month, that'll only cost you $60 (or $100 if you want Japan OBI stuffs), sometimes that's a cost for one single dinner or two right ? and if you intend to collect only the top 20 albums / year, actually you will only buy 2 or 3 CDs each month, that's even cheaper I guess :D

regarding storage, well you can always downsize to top 20 / year with a span of 20 years, you will limit yourself with only 400 CDs and actually that doesn't need a very large space, maybe your wife's shoes will occupy more space than that :D

I have a friend who compared his 1,000 CD collections to Spotify and his recent observations is about 35% doesn't exist at Spotify, maybe because there are some rare prog gems or guitar instrumentals, but eventually i think some artists will realize that streaming isn't really profitable for them and pull out

Four CDs would cost $60? Where you buying from? I assume you mean in America, for Americans, in USD? Or probably Europeans too? But I'm sure you'd know, living in Indonesia, as much as we know in Australia, that that is a very inaccurate amount. Four new CDs might cost around the au$80, before postage. These days, that amounts to fuck knows what - probably at least au$20 for four CDs. So your four CDs per month are now costing at very least au$100. It's just stupid amounts of money that just doesn't need to be spent in the digital age when you have kids to consider.

To hear $100 is a stupid amount to spend for something that you really love and passionated at least since 20-25 years ago is a sad thing to hear buddy. Economy is weaker in the last 3-4 years but I don't think spending $100/month is wasting a fortune. You can always reduce it to $50 or $75, but well back in our single days, $100 is easily spent on some BBQ and beers in a single Saturday night and today, probably that amount will only gets your kids couple of toys and candies correct ?

Having kids surely will double up our expenses but then most of us here lived with kids since probably digital age hasn't really started and that didn't stop us from collecting. Reducing the amount of spending and limiting the collection is the best way but for me, digital is not really the solution to replace CD. For me, the portability and accessibility of MP3/streaming is an excellent alternative to build up a different mix of playlist and play them anytime anywhere but the satisfaction really came from spending a dedicated 45-60 minutes in front of stereo set playing the CD.

And beside, buying CD is the most optimal way to support the artist financially, because i heard that at Spotify, artist will only get around $4.000 for a million stream, that's quite crazy because no way our kind of bands will get that kind of stream a year, at least if they get $1.5 / CD, they will only have to sell like 2500-3000 CD to get that amount, much more reasonable number to achieve :D

My advice is to occasionally check out the price at Amazon UK, musicbuymail, AOR heaven sale, and also CD Japan, for me spending $25 on CD Japan (maybe $30 for new users but after a while, you'll get a redeemable points so you'll get free shipping) is really worth it because of the superior physical quality of CD, booklet, and also the bonus tracks. Hopefully you'll build up your CD slowly and probably inherit them to your kids buddy, who knows that in 15-20 years from now, all those digital collection will be gone. I mean, external hard drive won't last and as of now, searching for those 2005-2010 albums are already getting harder and harder.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think buying CDs isn't really an expensive hobby at all, let's say you buy 4 CDs each month, that'll only cost you $60 (or $100 if you want Japan OBI stuffs), sometimes that's a cost for one single dinner or two right ? and if you intend to collect only the top 20 albums / year, actually you will only buy 2 or 3 CDs each month, that's even cheaper I guess :D

regarding storage, well you can always downsize to top 20 / year with a span of 20 years, you will limit yourself with only 400 CDs and actually that doesn't need a very large space, maybe your wife's shoes will occupy more space than that :D

I have a friend who compared his 1,000 CD collections to Spotify and his recent observations is about 35% doesn't exist at Spotify, maybe because there are some rare prog gems or guitar instrumentals, but eventually i think some artists will realize that streaming isn't really profitable for them and pull out

Four CDs would cost $60? Where you buying from? I assume you mean in America, for Americans, in USD? Or probably Europeans too? But I'm sure you'd know, living in Indonesia, as much as we know in Australia, that that is a very inaccurate amount. Four new CDs might cost around the au$80, before postage. These days, that amounts to fuck knows what - probably at least au$20 for four CDs. So your four CDs per month are now costing at very least au$100. It's just stupid amounts of money that just doesn't need to be spent in the digital age when you have kids to consider.

To hear $100 is a stupid amount to spend for something that you really love and passionated at least since 20-25 years ago is a sad thing to hear buddy. Economy is weaker in the last 3-4 years but I don't think spending $100/month is wasting a fortune. You can always reduce it to $50 or $75, but well back in our single days, $100 is easily spent on some BBQ and beers in a single Saturday night and today, probably that amount will only gets your kids couple of toys and candies correct ?

Having kids surely will double up our expenses but then most of us here lived with kids since probably digital age hasn't really started and that didn't stop us from collecting. Reducing the amount of spending and limiting the collection is the best way but for me, digital is not really the solution to replace CD. For me, the portability and accessibility of MP3/streaming is an excellent alternative to build up a different mix of playlist and play them anytime anywhere but the satisfaction really came from spending a dedicated 45-60 minutes in front of stereo set playing the CD.

And beside, buying CD is the most optimal way to support the artist financially, because i heard that at Spotify, artist will only get around $4.000 for a million stream, that's quite crazy because no way our kind of bands will get that kind of stream a year, at least if they get $1.5 / CD, they will only have to sell like 2500-3000 CD to get that amount, much more reasonable number to achieve :D

My advice is to occasionally check out the price at Amazon UK, musicbuymail, AOR heaven sale, and also CD Japan, for me spending $25 on CD Japan (maybe $30 for new users but after a while, you'll get a redeemable points so you'll get free shipping) is really worth it because of the superior physical quality of CD, booklet, and also the bonus tracks. Hopefully you'll build up your CD slowly and probably inherit them to your kids buddy, who knows that in 15-20 years from now, all those digital collection will be gone. I mean, external hard drive won't last and as of now, searching for those 2005-2010 albums are already getting harder and harder.

Bro, btw, you contradict yourself with stamp/cd collectors analogy (different demographics + resources)!

I'm following your strategy since 2011 :tumbsup: . And I still have the majority of them sealed. I've opened only a couple ones in order to read the lyrics (btw, it seems that this is an ancient sport-no one is uploading lyrics anymore from "our" genre) or to upload/listen the bonuses! It really serves me well! I cannot wait to redeem my millions of points to get the latest White Widdow (and Cry Of Dawn and Indiscreet 30 which I missed the 1st time due to an error from their part).

As for kids, there's always the Jean-Jacques Rousseau option! :D

Yeah sorry dudes, I'm just not there anymore. Yes, there was a time when the point and biggest enjoyment of my life was catching the train all over Sydney and finding the coolest and rarest CDs that I could find, in pawn shops and 2nd hand CD shops. And even trading via the mail and then online... finding bargains on sites like Schmankerl that no one seemed to know about... Yeah, it was all good fun. Even buying and selling on ebay.

But I guess times change. Without a single change, I love the music exactly as much as I always did, but I don't love the CD as much as I did anymore. Simply put, it's become a worthless (in terms of monetary value to anyone else in the world) plastic case that sits in my garage taking up a heap of space.

I keep trying to stress that having kids hasn't forced me to stop my CD collecting habits. It's just not important at all to me anymore since kids arrived. It's not like I stopped buying CDs because I had kids. In fact, I am 100% certain that even if I was still single I would be in exactly the same place I am now. I always got a lot of joy in buying risky CDs, knowing that if the album was shit I could probably sell it for a good price on ebay, or trade it for something good. That's all gone now. All you're doing now is buying a near-obselete item that you can't even give away anymore, let alone try and recoup some costs.

And the practicality of MP3 compared to CD, especially when I need to carry around my music in a bag to and from work... carrying a USB stick sure beats the hell out of a bag full of CDs. Or trying to have the right CDs in the car at the right time, compared to just having it all there, all the time, on a USB stick.

It is sad, but everything just fell in a bundle and there's just no appeal to me anymore in CDs.

And George, seriously. Buying CDs are keeping them sealed? What are you actually doing, mate?? :(

So youre saying you now purchase MP3s for every album. I cant believe that for a second given how many millions youve rated this year.

At least Spotify is legit even if it does pay small amounts.

try grooves inc.

http://www.grooves.land/

just did a quick search and most stuff from peoples 'best of 2016' lists (nordic union, defiants, reckless love, first signal, bulletrain, etc....) are available on there for about $US14. Spend $50 and shipping is free. And if you cant find a 10% discount voucher for their site... you aint looking or you just need to wait a week or 2.

So yeah... new releases are available for about $AUD17 shipped mate.

Still LOVE scrounging and even though I have to up music to my phone for listening I will NEVER go digital. I can't wrap my head around spending hard in Benjamin's on intangible objects.

And I agree with the Youtube statement for finding new and unknown bands I know I spend a great amount of early morning hours scouring there for bands to share, even though you all don't like them. :)

• My Little Pony

I pay Sky a monthly amount to watch TV.

I now pay Spotify a monthly amount to listen to music

Simple and easy to me :)

You pay to watch TV? I knew there was something odd about you. ;}

What u dont?

• My Little Pony

What u dont?

Well, I don't watch TV.

What u dont?

Are you serious? Is that an odd thing these days? To watch TV for free? I have watched TV for free for 37 years so far, and intend to for the rest of them. Paying to watch TV? Jeez there's some loonies out there.

What u dont?

Are you serious? Is that an odd thing these days? To watch TV for free? I have watched TV for free for 37 years so far, and intend to for the rest of them. Paying to watch TV? Jeez there's some loonies out there.

Lucky u mate.

So how exactly does Aussie TV fund themselves....presumably advertising every 5 mins.

In UK we have BBC for which you pay a licence fee.

And many other forms of provider from streaming services which all charge to Sky which charge also.

So what is the Aussie magic formula for free TV?

Yeah, we have ads but we still have Tivo and I assume there are a million other like-minded devices now, which allow you to watch the show at any time, so you can obviously fast forward the ads. Since we have had kids, we haven't watched "live TV" once, so watching shows delayed is just life as I know it. Seamless. And free. ;)

I don't watch live TV either, but you still have to pay if you want access to top shows, movies, sports etc.

Unless some clever person in the UK can advise me otherwise :)

I don't watch live TV either, but you still have to pay if you want access to top shows, movies, sports etc.

Yeah, during footy season I pay for an app for 6 months which allows me to watch the Rugby League. And that suits me. I'd like to watch surfing comps and tennis a bit more, I guess, but I really don't care that I miss out on it as I wouldn't have the time to watch it anyway. All the cricket and a some of the tennis is on free-to-air.

As for movies, haven't watched a movie on TV since I was a kid. Just not a thing at all. And same as above with TV shows. I am sure all the better shows are on Pay TV, but I don't have time to watch the ones I want to watch on free-to-air, let alone those ones, so I just don't even consider it.

Yeah, during footy season I pay for an app for 6 months which allows me to watch the Rugby League. And that suits me. I'd like to watch surfing comps and tennis a bit more, I guess, but I really don't care that I miss out on it as I wouldn't have the time to watch it anyway. All the cricket and a some of the tennis is on free-to-air.

As for movies, haven't watched a movie on TV since I was a kid. Just not a thing at all. And same as above with TV shows. I am sure all the better shows are on Pay TV, but I don't have time to watch the ones I want to watch on free-to-air, let alone those ones, so I just don't even consider it.

Wait til your kids grow up ;)

Wait til your kids grow up ;)

Yeah, truth is, I used to watch a hell of a lot. Then we had kids and I didn't and guess what - didn't miss it one single bit. In fact, loved not having to watch so much. So I say bring it on. ;) As long as I get to see 'Survivor' and the footy, that's really all I care about. The rest is just a bonus.

For the record, I have seen more 'Paw Patrol,' 'Go Jetters' and 'Peppa Pig,' via my three year old, than any of my own shows in the last year or so. :lol:

Peppa Pig is awesome. Always made me laugh

Haha, I was saying that to my wife only two days ago. It is freakin' hilarious. Seriously makes me laugh too.

You can always download the tv shows for free....I have been getting in the habit of downloading the entire season of a show and then watching it over several days which is the best way to watch anyway considering many shows continue the same story line/lines for the entire season...

• My Little Pony

You can always download the tv shows for free....I have been getting in the habit of downloading the entire season of a show and then watching it over several days which is the best way to watch anyway considering many shows continue the same story line/lines for the entire season...

Or, even more annoyingly, multiple seasons.