Eclipse - Monumentum

Stefan

You're going to have to post the two links you're listening too, as you have the wrong version of one of the songs, surely. 'Battlegrounds' is pure nordic pirate pillage rock when it comes to the chorus. 'Downfall of eden' is great, catchy melodic rock. Nothing nordic or "piratey" about it at all.

Hahaha, it makes you wonder when/where are they going to put in rest their Nordic warriors and write a wintry song like CoT "Winterlands". With or without disciplinarian homoeroticism!

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both Downfall of Eden and Battlegrounds are low lights on each album.

Downfall of Eden...Meh, it's like any number of Ten songs when Gary Hughes lost the plot.

Agree with Kouros this is the first Eclipse album where I noticed crappy lyrics.

Some great tracks on here but quite a few fillers as well. Definitely their weakest of the recent albums but still lots better than most in the genre. Martenson spread too thin!

Mmm bit harsh. I'll reserve judgement til ive heard the whole thing but whilst i would agree Eden will be a lowlight its hardly a filler.

All the other 6 tracks ive heard are very good to great imo

Have heard the entire album and I like it. It's not on the level of "Bleed and Scream" or "Armaggedonize" (the deluxe version of which is maybe the best album I've ever heard) but it's still good. I like "Downfall of Eden" and "Born to Lead" but there's nothing here that rises to the level of "the Storm", "Breakdown" or numerous other tracks from the last two. There's a sameness as others have mentioned.

I'm gonna say 7/10, maybe 8/10.

* - I *love* "Battlegrounds". The acoustic version. Don't like the original nearly as much.

I rated 'Jaded' and 'Killing Me' a 10, so yeah backed on those two being the best tracks here.

As of 'Eden', well I like it too, deserved a 9.25, for me the worst track is probably 'Black Rain', and i think 'Hurt' is not as good as the rest, but this album is a true monster, well worth the purchase!

My least favourite track is actually 'Vertigo.' Really nothing going on in that chorus. The rest of the album is great. Funny people are calling this one of their weak albums, as I initially like this better than their others. Consistency wise, for me it's probably their best. At the moment. Very early days. I will get back to that later.

As for poor lyrics, to me it's just Martensson by numbers. If the lyrics are poor here, odds are if you look into previous albums they're probably not much different. ;)

My least favourite track is actually 'Vertigo.' Really nothing going on in that chorus. The rest of the album is great. Funny people are calling this one of their weak albums, as I initially like this better than their others. Consistency wise, for me it's probably their best. At the moment. Very early days. I will get back to that later.

As for poor lyrics, to me it's just Martensson by numbers. If the lyrics are poor here, odds are if you look into previous albums they're probably not much different. ;)

Ha ha if Vertigo is your worst track you are doing something right eh??

Yep. Initial ratings has that at a 7.75 and the rest is at least an 8... so there's not much in it. For me, this is probably their most consistent album. So many chunky, awesome riffs.

Yep. Initial ratings has that at a 7.75 and the rest is at least an 8... so there's not much in it. For me, this is probably their most consistent album. So many chunky, awesome riffs.

I agree it's a pretty consistent album. I'm not sure if it's really consistency or "sameness" though. I do wish they would've pushed the envelope a little bit and did something that I didn't expect. I look at a song like Breakdown from the last album...That song was one of my favorites from that album and just had a different feel to it. I also quite liked Live Like I'm Dying a lot which also was a bit of a change up.

I guess Hurt is meant to be something different and the song is okay....Although it does have some cheesy lyrics in a couple spots that sorta hold it back a little bit for me. I guess another song that maybe was meant to be a little different is Black Rain....I can't make up my mind if I really like that song or not. I like the heavy feel and the riffage...something is holding it back a bit for me though.

The rest of the album is basically pure Eclipse which is all just fine with me. These guys strength is melodic hard rock and it shines through in songs like Never Look Back, Killing Me, Jaded, For Better Or For Worse, etc.

Still a strong album but also still don't feel like it's as strong as their last release.

I do think that possibly Erik is stretching himself a bit thin. I mean...I look at some of those Nordic Union songs and if he had saved a few of those for this album it could've made this an epic album. Maybe it's not fair to say that though...I don't know.

Good album though and few bands do melodic hard rock as well as these guys.

Having just heard this my favourites would be downfall of eden, born to lead, never look back and jaded , all brilliant songs for sure

But there are a few not doing much for me , for better or for worse for instance is pretty boring

Its been mentioned a lot but the amount of times i was listening to this and another eclipse song from another album jumped into my head, the similarity in songs is really striking at times , but if the songs are good ,who cares really

• My Little Pony

They've basically been copying songs since 'Are You Ready To Rock'...........that's why its still their best (and most original) album

:)

That's how I've felt, and I wonder how long they can carry on before people get bored.

I managed about 4 listens through of it before getting bored and moving on. It's more of the same sadly. I do like quite a lot of it though as I'll outline below, but there are other albums I'd rather be listening to right now.

So I really like the first half, up to and including Jaded which is by far one of my favourite songs by the band. A proper ripper of a chorus and the whole thing is just so hook-y :) Killing Me is also another track I really like, especially the female backing vocals (IS that Martina Edoff, can anyone tell me???)

I'm one of the few who like the Downfall of Eden, even if it does fall into the typical Gary More Celtic Rock period rip-off towards the end.

For better or for worse is probably... the worst song on there. It's got one of those choruses that really grate on me. That really flat way of just repeating the name of the song far too often. Reminds me of Wide open which I thought was one of the worst on the previous album too.

The rest is a bit meh.

I reckon it's probably their best since Are you ready to rock and a massive improvement over the previous release which I thought was a boring derivative mess (I don't think I'll ever forgive that horrible Jelly Roll "homage").

I'm one of the few who like the Downfall of Eden, even if it does fall into the typical Gary More Celtic Rock period rip-off towards the end.

Isn't Glen the only one who doesn't like 'Downfall of Eden?' ;)

Anyway, Gotthardonline mentioned 'Born to Lead' as one of his faves, and that's one of my faves too. It's actually my 3rd favourite song, after 'Killing me' and 'Downfall of Eden.' Killer tune, and with some more meaningful or relatable lyrics it'd possibly be the best song on here. I just don't like lyrics so pointless like 'Born to lead,' but it's otherwise a really great tune.

Obviously we're not into the genre for the quality of the poetry on offer. Just stated that they stood out on this album. It hasn't happened for me on any of the other Eclipse albums.

Also, as sad as it is to say as I used to enjoy doing it in my youth I haven't sat down and listened to an album with the lyrics for a loooong time.

It is a good album, quite a few fillers tho. I really like their style of heavy hard rock and Martenson is quite the capable vocalist now.

Isn't Glen the only one who doesn't like 'Downfall of Eden?' ;)

Anyway, Gotthardonline mentioned 'Born to Lead' as one of his faves, and that's one of my faves too. It's actually my 3rd favourite song, after 'Killing me' and 'Downfall of Eden.' Killer tune, and with some more meaningful or relatable lyrics it'd possibly be the best song on here. I just don't like lyrics so pointless like 'Born to lead,' but it's otherwise a really great tune.

DaHun72 said it right -

'Downfall of Eden...Meh, it's like any number of Ten songs when Gary Hughes lost the plot'

Spot on

Nah, Ten is basically dreadful these days. Eclipse is nowhere near there.

the quality of the music is not in question. It's the subject matter.

you defending this is quite beyond me actually. Really weird lyrics and a celtic like guitar solo....I never thought I'd see the day. :lol:

Nah, Ten is basically dreadful these days. Eclipse is nowhere near there.

the quality of the music is not in question. It's the subject matter.

you defending this is quite beyond me actually. Really weird lyrics and a celtic like guitar solo....I never thought I'd see the day. :lol:

Yeah it's not as bad as BAD Ten but imo not a good fit and I wonder why they went this route.

I hope they're not like Bon Jovi. Put a blues/countryish track on an album and it slowly took over their sound and subsequent albums.

Not much talk about this one yet today....

Pretty solid album from top to bottom. I do think it gets a bit "samey" in spots though and would like a bit more variation in song structures. I also still don't feel like this album has quite the "epic" feel I got from the last one.

That said though, still really like it and there isn't anything I get the urge to skip past.

I think a lot will pick up on the saminess...ive felt it for 3 albums now.

But you cant fault these guys really - they have churned out 4 great albums on the trot now....not many bands can claim that!!

Early favs would be 'Jaded' and 'No Way Out'

I was listening to Nordic Union the other day and was thinking how far superior the Eclipse album is. The funny thing about that album is, every time I hear it I think it's worse than the last time I hear it. The songs are so limp... with the exception of 'True love awaits you.' Every time I hear the album, that song gets better. Such a great hook and melody on an otherwise safe, one-dimensional album.

I was listening to Nordic Union the other day and was thinking how far superior the Eclipse album is. The funny thing about that album is, every time I hear it I think it's worse than the last time I hear it. The songs are so limp... with the exception of 'True love awaits you.' Every time I hear the album, that song gets better. Such a great hook and melody on an otherwise safe, one-dimensional album.

I know we've discussed this many a time, but I still don't get your hate for that album. Just sounds like every other Martensson album to me :lol: