Where's everyone buying from these days?

DaHun72

Seems like buying and trading has died as there's very little chatter about it.

For those of us still buying music in physical formats can you post where you're getting your fix?

Most of mine these days are online via Japan (cdjapan) or eBay to find the version/pressing I want.

No more stores that I feel the need to support locally since Realm of Kaos here in Melbourne closed up a while ago. I do check out JB HiFi from time to time but can't remember the last time I purchased a CD from them.

I guess we all speculated but it feels like 'that ' time has fully set in where the physical format and all that came with its popularity has gone and digital has taken over......

I've bought more CDs than ever this year but roughly three quarters of them have been back catalog stuff at Goodwill thrift shops for a buck or two apiece.

It used to be from NEH, but that massive shipping hike from a few years ago has me shopping elsewhere. 90% of the time I get my stuff through Ebay.

I buy lots of new stuff (vinyl only) from EMP. (They are Centrury Media's distributor)

Yesterday I got the 2 Sixx AM releases from them (there was an offer for free shipping when I've ordered it so it was like getting them from a physical store!).

Their shipping is very cheap, at least for Europe.

http://www.emp-online.com/lis_sixx%3a%20a.m._bandbrand/

For the same reasons (and for more extreme sounds) I use the well establish mailorders of

osmose productions

http://www.osmoseproductions.com/index.cfm

season of mist

http://shop.season-of-mist.com/

hammerheart records

http://hammerheartstore.com/

These 3 always send freebies.

And also earache (sometimes the updates on their ebay store are more frequent)

http://webstore.earache.com/

For bigger orders (3+ vinyls) I use high roller recs because of his flat rate of approximately 17 euro for 15-17 lps! (the one I frequently use)

http://www.hrrshop.de/nwobhm-en_1

Seems like buying and trading has died as there's very little chatter about it.

For those of us still buying music in physical formats can you post where you're getting your fix?

Most of mine these days are online via Japan (cdjapan) or eBay to find the version/pressing I want.

No more stores that I feel the need to support locally since Realm of Kaos here in Melbourne closed up a while ago. I do check out JB HiFi from time to time but can't remember the last time I purchased a CD from them.

I guess we all speculated but it feels like 'that ' time has fully set in where the physical format and all that came with its popularity has gone and digital has taken over......

Well Radical Records in Dandenong is still going, this year will be their 29 year in business. Then is Arthur Akron of Frozen Tears fame has a stall at Carribeen Market on Sundays and his down Geelong way on Saturday.

And course there is the two Dixons stores, recently has been getting a few new titles, it was only a couple weeks ago I was able pick up the new Hardline. cd.

• My Little Pony

The folks in the Melodic Mafia group on FaceTubes often talk about buying new Rock Candy releases in store. Most stores in my area stopped carrying CDs, and even when they did they never had anything from our genre, save AC/DC and Guns & Roses.

• My Little Pony

Mostly eBay for me..also MBM ....there is also a guy in Russia who calls himself Tokyo Music that I pick up cds from...

And he's trustworthy?

• My Little Pony

Mostly eBay for me..also MBM ....there is also a guy in Russia who calls himself Tokyo Music that I pick up cds from...

And he's trustworthy?

Slow shipper but they have always shown up....

But are they official releases?

Still buy everything in physical cd format,almost all the new releases I preorder from Amazon,for older discs I use Ebay mostly but also Discogs & Musicstack depending on if I can find it and then value wise.

Amazon, Ebay, MusicBuyMail and Medimops ..... physical CD's only ....

And he's trustworthy?

Slow shipper but they have always shown up....

But are they official releases?

You mean are they boots? He does sell older rare stuff that I believe are boots but I'm pretty sure the newer stuff is not booted because often my order will show up with cds in digipak form. I have never heard of anyone booting digipaks.....they are all silver pressed and I rarely see "for sale in Russia only" on them....considering how good most of the prices are I cannot complain....

I'm pretty sure the newer stuff is not booted because often my order will show up with cds in digipak form. I have never heard of anyone booting digipaks.....they are all silver pressed and I rarely see "for sale in Russia only" on them....considering how good most of the prices are I cannot complain....

There are most certainly bootleg digipaks. Also, the low-cost pressings out of Eastern Europe and South America (the subsidized releases that are NOT supposed to be sold out of territory) frequently come in cheap, flimsy digipaks.

I'm pretty sure the newer stuff is not booted because often my order will show up with cds in digipak form. I have never heard of anyone booting digipaks.....they are all silver pressed and I rarely see "for sale in Russia only" on them....considering how good most of the prices are I cannot complain....

There are most certainly bootleg digipaks. Also, the low-cost pressings out of Eastern Europe and South America (the subsidized releases that are NOT supposed to be sold out of territory) frequently come in cheap, flimsy digipaks.

I did not know about bootleg digipaks, seems like a lot of trouble when normal boots are so much easier...as for Eastern Europe and S.A. releases, I do not have a problem with them but to each their own I guess...if paying extra for official Western Europe releases works for you then so be it...

My ebay purchases have dropped off with increased shipping rates to AU.

Wowhd has free shipping and a few good deals.

Are they still South American pressings eg. Icarus?

Second-hand/charity shops

eBay (provided the P&P isn't ridiculous)

Amazon

Direct from bands/labels

I get mine from Media Markt (similar to Best Buy in the US) in Switzerland. If they don't have what I want I'll order it online 99% of the time from cede.ch

Amazon I rarely use for physical CDs cause it takes longer to be shipped from Germany to Switzerland but if I can wait for a CD or it features the Autorip option I'll get it from them. I can only remember 2 CDs I ordered from Amazon in the last 5 years or so

Also ebay quite often and a friend recently told me about the market place on discogs which I've used and am happy with it

• 3 weeks later...