White Widdow - Silhouette

Stefan

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds really good, although sound could be a little ''thicker''.....

Agree, like louder/crunchier guitars.

Sounds really good, although sound could be a little ''thicker''.....

Agree, like louder/crunchier guitars.

Exactly, and also bigger sound. Just a little more delay / reverb on guitars, vocals and drums. I was hoping it's because of low youtube quality but I think the album will be like that

I think Crossfire was a step in the right direction in that regard, the new album seems to be a bit of a step back again. Not talking songs here, purely sound

I can't wait to get my grubby hands on this one.

Easily one of my fave new bands of the past ten or so years.

• My Little Pony

Nice!

When you say 'perfection' what are you implying? Because those drums annoyed me. The toms are too hot.

Nice!

When you say 'perfection' what are you implying? Because those drums annoyed me. The toms are too hot.

Im implying i like it. A lot.

A couple of weaker moments on the album but overall its another winner.

I can't stop playing this silky aor anthem!!! I'm already drifting in my subaru impreza wrx waiting for the summer...

I listened to all 3 songs, and musically they are great.

Unfortunately they are waaaay to AOR for me and that kills them.

I'm not saying they should be different, obviously many here really like them, and if you described a band as a cross between Roxus and Harem Scarem I'd be sure that I'd be into them, but I thinki it's just been too many years since Roxus and for me that sound (keyboards and harmonies) just won't cut it any more.

I'd love to hear the songs with a heavier production and edge.

Anyway, like I said, everyone here is a fan, so enjoy.

Royal AOR, the damage is done! Personal sound, killer pre-choruses/choruses/ some mighty mighty solos and drum patterns and lyrics that thrive on Social Darwinism :tumbsup:

I really hated it when I had to leave my desk in order to visit the nearby wine cellar. Of course, WW's s/t was spinning in my car through the course. :wub:

I am

First instinct is I prefer this to 'Crossfire.' Probably not as good as the first two, but all four are great so it's no sore point.

I was thinking today as I heard this that they've kind of gone the reverse of how bands who were alive and well in the early 80's and 90's went. If I stamped a year on what each album sounds like, it'd go a little like this:

1986 - Silhouette

1987 - Crossfire

1988 - Serenade

1989 - s/t

To me, each album sounds "more vintage" (and that is NOT a critisism at all) than the one before. 'Living for tonight,' in fact, is probably the oldest sounding tune they've ever done.

Anyway, to the rest of the album... it's real nice. 'Smile for the camera' is probably the weakest on it for me, but I love the rest. 'Last chance for love' will give my favourite track of the year a run for it's money. 'Game of love,' 'Waited' and the first two are other gems too. Overall, really great disc. Probably in my top 3 at the moment, and likely to contend for top spot this year.

If I had to level one small critisism at it, it'd be what a few of you dudes have said already, that it's a bit "thinner" than before. I adore their vintage AOR vibe, but I also loved the ballsier edge of the first two - I guess technically more "melodic hard rock" than pure AOR. But regardless of exactly what style they're doing, I do like the punchier production of the debut. :)

Just like many tunes on Crossfire, Silhouette seems to have grabbed on to that sound from Harem Scarem's debut....I love it!

I am

First instinct is I prefer this to 'Crossfire.' Probably not as good as the first two, but all four are great so it's no sore point.

I was thinking today as I heard this that they've kind of gone the reverse of how bands who were alive and well in the early 80's and 90's went. If I stamped a year on what each album sounds like, it'd go a little like this:

1986 - Silhouette

1987 - Crossfire

1988 - Serenade

1989 - s/t

To me, each album sounds "more vintage" (and that is NOT a critisism at all) than the one before. 'Living for tonight,' in fact, is probably the oldest sounding tune they've ever done.

Anyway, to the rest of the album... it's real nice. 'Smile for the camera' is probably the weakest on it for me, but I love the rest. 'Last chance for love' will give my favourite track of the year a run for it's money. 'Game of love,' 'Waited' and the first two are other gems too. Overall, really great disc. Probably in my top 3 at the moment, and likely to contend for top spot this year.

If I had to level one small critisism at it, it'd be what a few of you dudes have said already, that it's a bit "thinner" than before. I adore their vintage AOR vibe, but I also loved the ballsier edge of the first two - I guess technically more "melodic hard rock" than pure AOR. But regardless of exactly what style they're doing, I do like the punchier production of the debut. :)

Good analogy but I would have gone back even further -

Silhouette 1985 (thinking Magnum/Streets/Van Zant/Icon type sound)

Serenade 1986

s/t 1987

Crossfire 1988/9

Crossfire is the most commercial for me. Serenade is punchy, but fluffy song wise so sounds earlier to me.

I love the new album to be honest. :)

I am

1986 - Silhouette

1987 - Crossfire

1988 - Serenade

1989 - s/t

I would also add that Nietzschean pre-chorus of "Damage Is Done". Killer modern melodic track with a smoking lead that goes on forever.

I can't stop playing this silky aor anthem!!! I'm already drifting in my subaru impreza wrx waiting for the summer...

I'm not saying they should be different, obviously many here really like them, and if you described a band as a cross between Roxus and Harem Scarem I'd be sure that I'd be into them, but I thinki it's just been too many years since Roxus and for me that sound (keyboards and harmonies) just won't cut it any more.

I'm with you on this one....I've just never been able to get into these guys. I think with a tad little heavier production these guys could fall more into my tastes.

I agree too though that they do sound good and the album is put together well. I think this is the perfect example of an album that I would rate highly if I were reviewing it even though I personally don't care for it....if that makes any sense.

I am

1986 - Silhouette

1987 - Crossfire

1988 - Serenade

1989 - s/t

I would also add that Nietzschean pre-chorus of "Damage Is Done". Killer modern melodic track with a smoking lead that goes on forever.

That one is a good one too... stood out for me. Not a "typical" tune - very nice.

I am

1986 - Silhouette

1987 - Crossfire

1988 - Serenade

1989 - s/t

That one is a good one too... stood out for me. Not a "typical" tune - very nice.

God it plods though. I like it but its prob the weakest tune for me.

As in a 7.5 weak....not filler.

I'm with you on this one....I've just never been able to get into these guys. I think with a tad little heavier production these guys could fall more into my tastes.

I agree too though that they do sound good and the album is put together well. I think this is the perfect example of an album that I would rate highly if I were reviewing it even though I personally don't care for it....if that makes any sense.

Having said what I said, I was clicking around the other night and came across the Hard Rock Show.

This is a little Aussie show which is OK, but can be very long winded in their reviews etc so I tend not to be able to be bothered with it.

When I clicked over they were reviewing this album. Didn't know the band was Australian, which I was surprised at.

They interviewed the band who seemed pretty cool, and then played this song again (above)

Aside from a few moments of cringe, I enjoyed it more.

I think if I pound it into my head a few more times I'll be able to like it, but doubt I'll be able to for the rest of the album.

Surrender My Heart really is one of the strongest (if not THE strongest) tracks on the album. That pre-chorus is pure (insert amazing word here). By the way, the blonde girl in the video is the singer's girlfriend, I kid you not

Surprising really given he looks like death warmed up ;)