FM - Indiscreet 30

Stefan

Received my copy yesterday.

It's REALLY GOOD!

The re-corded tracks are perhaps a half-step lower in the vocal department, but overall a nice redux.

Backed.. I don't really care much for the bonus tracks, but the actual full album is done really well. Mr. Overland still sounds brilliant. They don't beat the originals, just freshen them up, beef up the sound and bring them up to date. Very enjoyable listening to these tracks again with a new spin.

Ive listened to it and i still dont see the point. Not one song improves on the original.

Y'all know how oldschool I am (I don't hide it), and I'm normally firmly planted in your camp concerning the re-recording of classical songs, Glen, but something about this one I like a lot.

Like I mentioned above... I'm listening to this one as a 48 year-old, and not an 18 year-old. It just seems to "fit" with me now.

Where did you guys hear the full album?? I'm particularly curious about ''Love Lies Dying'' really wondering how they did that one

I purchased my copy from the band's site. Love Lies Dying sounds great. The entire album is a bit more "subdued" than the 1986 release, but tastefully done and a bit more "mature" I suppose.

Where did you guys hear the full album?? I'm particularly curious about ''Love Lies Dying'' really wondering how they did that one

I purchased my copy from the band's site. Love Lies Dying sounds great. The entire album is a bit more "boring" than the 1986 release, ......tastefully done but just "dull" at the end of the day.

corrected ;)

But it isnt and sounds really flat compared to the amazing debut.

Compare 'that girl'.....there really is no comparison

But you've probably lived with the original album for years. From my point of view, I like the sound of the newer production, and I've not got any problem if the performance isn't an exact duplicate, because I don't have that over-familiarity with the music.

Yeah fair enough but i just expect anyone to hear that the original version is light years better.

To each their own

Screw the old version. I also lived with the old versions and I'm glad they put them to rest. New thingie is da bitch! I'm glad that the band reserved its artistic vision to almost a perfection here.

I find it pointless to mention specific tracks, I love them all-the dynamic range is amazing, they already belong to my phenotype! Overland is a serotonin pharma, spreading pheromones and marking his terriory like a prime example of alpha male :tumbsup: . They gave me an idea to refurbish my FM tattoo logo and be ready for their Athens gig on next March.

The new versions aren't bad at all and definitely interesting to hear if you're familiar with the original album. I especially like that they added a guitar solo to ''Love Lies Dying'' as I always thought that was the only thing keeping the track from being perfect - still prefer the original version for the sound though. Going back and forth between the two albums I think I figured out the main reason for my liking the original versions more: Steve Overland's voice. He's still a very good singer but 30 years is a long time and I just prefer how his voice sounds on the originals, how he ''oversang'' some parts, that's what gave these tracks their energy that I fell in love with and one of the first things I think of when I hear ''FM''

The new versions aren't bad at all and definitely interesting to hear if you're familiar with the original album. I especially like that they added a guitar solo to ''Love Lies Dying'' as I always thought that was the only thing keeping the track from being perfect - still prefer the original version for the sound though. Going back and forth between the two albums I think I figured out the main reason for my liking the original versions more: Steve Overland's voice. He's still a very good singer but 30 years is a long time and I just prefer how his voice sounds on the originals, how he ''oversang'' some parts, that's what gave these tracks their energy that I fell in love with and one of the first things I think of when I hear ''FM''

Exactly. The vocal delivery is a different league.

I admit I forgot what's the original like but I hear this thing this morning and I say it's a fine album but songwise, I think 'Tough It Out' is a better album.

Me too, they upped their game on the second record. On a side note - If they re-recorded the Tough It Out album they'd look REALLY old...

I admit I forgot what's the original like but I hear this thing this morning and I say it's a fine album but songwise, I think 'Tough It Out' is a better album.

Me too, they upped their game on the second record. On a side note - If they re-recorded the Tough It Out album they'd look REALLY old...

Yeah, the debut is a great disc but 'Tough it out' is far better.

ha ha we had this chat before - was it about 3% better by your ratings ;)

For the record I agree that Tough it Out is better - in fact I rated it the 3rd best release of 1989 it is that good.

Tough it Out was 92% I think - Indiscreet is still an excellent album and would comfortably rate 85% I reckon.

Doesn't change the fact that the re-record was pointless :)

Haha! Correct you are. 3% better. Okay, let me put it this way. The debut is very consistent - nothing weak on it. 'Tough it out' has weaker fillers than anything on the debut, but the best tracks are much, much better, imo. Two very fine discs, though.

Fillers?? :unsure:

Just 'Feel so good' and 'Obsession.' Neither is horrendous, but like I say, weaker than anything else on the two albums.

Just 'Feel so good' and 'Obsession.' Neither is horrendous, but like I say, weaker than anything else on the two albums.

wow, just goes to show how good this album is when you pick out 'Feels so Good' - great song imo.

Obsession is probably the weakest song but its still very good imo.

ha ha we had this chat before - was it about 3% better by your ratings ;)

For the record I agree that Tough it Out is better - in fact I rated it the 3rd best release of 1989 it is that good.

Tough it Out was 92% I think - Indiscreet is still an excellent album and would comfortably rate 85% I reckon.

Doesn't change the fact that the re-record was pointless :)

Over generalization :tumbsup: . For example, I didn't own a copy of it on cd, but now I've ordered the expensive DCD Japanese version. So not pointless for me.

And there are still much more things in Love Lies Dying except, of course, the solo.

I can't even explain rationally , for the moment, due to an overflow of serotonin, how much I prefer the new version of my beloved Hot Wired. 25th of March is near!

I just cannot wait. I've opened an expensive wine, despite the killing Celcius, to accommodate my spotify party with my beloved Hotwired...that harmony goddammit...and the shadowy bassline...Gawd, give mercy on my Ibanez bass + Marshall...

Also why no 'Dangerous' in the bonus tracks??

Buddy, this is easily the best post I've read since ages! Apologies for not commenting on this earlier. I don't know if there are any copyright issues on this (don't get me started on the whole copyright thingie) but I hate the fact that my expensive Japanese version doesn't come with it (and no, I didn't buy the R.Candy version). Probably in my top 5 all time favorite songs.

:doh::doh::doh:

wow, just goes to show how good this album is when you pick out 'Feels so Good' - great song imo.

Yeah Feels So Good is a 8.75 and Obsession is a 7.5, definitely the latter is the weakest but the score tells it's still a good one

I also favor 'Tough' around 4% over 'indiscreet' but yeah, both albums are essential.

Checked out the original recording of 'Indiscreet' the other day, I can relate to the fine soaring vocal compared to the re-recording as mentioned by Glen, but maybe the new one offers a beefier guitar and also production, vocal is still pretty great too, so I guess not bad to own both of them, but if I have to pick one, I'll go with the original.

Yeah Feels So Good is a 8.75 and Obsession is a 7.5, definitely the latter is the weakest but the score tells it's still a good one

I also favor 'Tough' around 4% over 'indiscreet' but yeah, both albums are essential.

Checked out the original recording of 'Indiscreet' the other day, I can relate to the fine soaring vocal compared to the re-recording as mentioned by Glen, but maybe the new one offers a beefier guitar and also production, vocal is still pretty great too, so I guess not bad to own both of them, but if I have to pick one, I'll go with the original.

Buddy, I only agree on the Tough thingie.

After careful consideration and repeated listens I've come to the following conclusion: I'd say the weakest track on Tough It Out is ''Does It Feel Like Love''. It's not bad by any means but I can't find anything I'd consider ''special'' about it.

Every other track has something (or multiple things) I really like whether it's the cool, typically 80s vibe of the verses in ''Obsession'' (you know, something you could totally hear in a movie like ''The Secret of my Success'' LOL) or the absolutely badass solo in ''Feels So Good'' that keeps those tracks from being considered ''fillers'' by me