Albums you consider essential

• 2023 Gold Donors

Inspired by Glen's great "ten songs to describe your musical taste" thread, i thought it would be interesting to see what you guys think are three albums you consider essential (all killer, no filler) albums.

Three Albums that i can spin from start to finish would be -

Lynch Mob - Wicked Sensation (surprise, surprise)

Europe - Prisoners In Paradise

Dokken - Back For The Attack

Looking forward to getting some new leads based on your choices.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Inspired by Glen's great "ten songs to describe your musical taste" thread, i thought it would be interesting to see what you guys think are three albums you consider essential (all killer, no filler) albums.

Three Albums that i can spin from start to finish would be -

Lynch Mob - Wicked Sensation (surprise, surprise)

Europe - Prisoners In Paradise

Dokken - Back For The Attack

Looking forward to getting some new leads based on your choices.

Yes, Dokken for sure. I have to think about this.

• My Little Pony

If we're talking about albums that are all killer, no filler, there'll be quite a few. But essential albums are another matter. Probably a few of those, too. I'll need a minute.

• 2023 Gold Donors

If we're talking about albums that are all killer, no filler, there'll be quite a few. But essential albums are another matter. Probably a few of those, too. I'll need a minute.

Yeah, you're right. I have quite a few i consider essential, but there might be the odd filler on them. I was aiming the thread more towards all killer, no filler.

don't mean to attack your personal fave bro, but in 'Wicked Sensation', are you really liking tracks such as 'Dance of The Dogs', 'Rain' or 'She's Evil But She's Mine' as much as the rest ? coz IMHO they're weak by a considerable margin compared to the better tunes such as 'Wicked Sensation', 'Sweet Sister Mercy', or 'No Bed of Roses' and I might consider them fillers :)

• 2023 Gold Donors

don't mean to attack your personal fave bro, but in 'Wicked Sensation', are you really liking tracks such as 'Dance of The Dogs', 'Rain' or 'She's Evil But She's Mine' as much as the rest ? coz IMHO they're weak by a considerable margin compared to the better tunes such as 'Wicked Sensation', 'Sweet Sister Mercy', or 'No Bed of Roses' and I might consider them fillers :)

I see where you're coming from, but yeah, absolutely love those songs you mentioned.

They might not be the best songs on the album, but i certainly don't consider them weak.

I know i might be a bit biased due to my love of the album.

I see where you're coming from, but yeah, absolutely love those songs you mentioned.

They might not be the best songs on the album, but i certainly don't consider them weak.

ha ha, my favourite coaster ;)

Ive said this may times before but imo there are only 3 truly killer songs on that album - River of Love, No Bed Of Roses and Through These Eyes..................most of the rest range from 7.5 to 8.5.

The middle 3 songs as NT suggests are weak.

Overall I scored it 78%

If I had to chose only three it'd be really boring, but it'd be these three;

Cauterize - So Far From Real
Kane Roberts - Saints and Sinners
Cauterize - Disguises

• My Little Pony

Electric Boys - Funk-o-Metal Carpet Ride (Bob Rock version)

Wall of Silence - Shock to the System

Extreme - III Sides to Every Story

But I'm not sure why we're limiting this to three. I could go on for a minute.

• 2023 Gold Donors

ha ha, my favourite coaster ;)

Ive said this may times before but imo there are only 3 truly killer songs on that album - River of Love, No Bed Of Roses and Through These Eyes..................most of the rest range from 7.5 to 8.5.

The middle 3 songs as NT suggests are weak.

Overall I scored it 78%

Haha. That's the second time you've called my favourite disc a coaster you cheeky bugger!

But seriously, i think it has quite a consistent feel throughout the whole album.

As for those three songs, i think "rain" is a great ballad. "She's evil but she's mine" reminds me of a particular girl in my life (the memories it evokes are a big part of my love for this album). As for "dance of the dogs", how can you not love a song with the chorus "dance, bitch, dance"?

the top 10 from every year I consider essential

Ha, my brother from another mother, you are looking for semantics here. Apparently essential is meant for an album that no one could miss it.

Like the other day, a dude told me that if it wasn't for black sabbath, manowar wouldn't exist. :tumbsup: Well, screw you dude (insert rant here). The less I care for the sabbs. Actually I'm bored of all these circular/first cause arguments. None is valid and all suck.

Here are 5 older releases...

Aerosmith - Rocks

Oh, yes - FANTASTIC album!

Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime

Guns n' Roses - Appetite For Destruction

Van Halen: Fair Warning

When I think essential I think of those handful of discs that in the wall of music we all have are the disc (s) that get grabbed regularly, the go to discs no matter what.

For me it would be these:

Spread Eagle-S/T

Warrior Soul-Last Decade Dead Century

Y&T-Open Fire

Metal Church-S/T

Enuff Z Nuff-1985

I am certain I will recall a couple others but those are always go to choices that always deliver.

• My Little Pony

Actually I'm bored of all these circular/first cause arguments. None is valid and all suck.

Especially yours. ;}

Actually I'm bored of all these circular/first cause arguments. None is valid and all suck.

Especially yours. ;}

Buddy, let's be serious on this. :tumbsup:

The OP apparently was referring to albums considered by many influential or essential or genre defining and thus the rest should pay respect to them etc.

Personally, I care the less for this notion. Surley, I'm always interested in what inspired my favorite artists to play or what are their current playlists ( I even don't care about the hype factor that is usually associated with these playlists) and always, especially in the digital age, try to find and listen to them. Actually, I have the opinion that this is a good way to create some new music.

But and this is a big one, please don't tell me, for example, that I have to like/love Hendrix because inspired Yngwie to take a guitar. I don't! On the other hand I love Blackmore, his other major influence.

Guide me, surely, but let me decide for myself.

• 2023 Gold Donors

The OP apparently was referring to albums considered by many influential or essential or genre defining and thus the rest should pay respect to them etc.

I don't know where you got that from mate.

I thought i made it clear that i was interested in your choices for all killer, no filler albums.

Nothing's been mentioned about "influential" or "genre defining".

It's not that deep of a topic man.

• 2023 Gold Donors

Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime

Guns n' Roses - Appetite For Destruction

Van Halen: Fair Warning

When I think essential I think of those handful of discs that in the wall of music we all have are the disc (s) that get grabbed regularly, the go to discs no matter what.

For me it would be these:

Spread Eagle-S/T

Warrior Soul-Last Decade Dead Century

Y&T-Open Fire

Metal Church-S/T

Enuff Z Nuff-1985

I am certain I will recall a couple others but those are always go to choices that always deliver.

You guys get it.

Great choices BTW.

Harem Scarem - s/t

Dream Theater - Images And Words

Queensryche - Operation:Mindcrime

Waltham - s/t

Great Big Sea - Up

Lillian Axe - Poetic Justice and Love & War