Dan Reed Network - Fight Another Day

Stefan

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw the guys at their last live gig here in Portland a couple days before they started recording the new album and they sounded as good as ever. It was odd not seeing Blake behind the keyboard, but Rob Daiker is a very talented musician and fits-in well as he's been buddies with Reed and Pred for at least the past 20 years or so. Besides playing keys, he's also a fantastic singer and guitar player.

DRN is one of my favorite bands of all-time. Being from my hometown of Portland, Oregon, I was lucky enough to see them live MANY times back in the day (1988 forward), and they ALWAYS put on incredible shows. And naturally they received a good bit of local attention on the radio, etc. back then... Shame they weren't better known throughout the rest of the USA.

All that said, I sincerely hope the new album is a genuine DAN REED NETWORK collaboration and not simply DAN REED with the NETWORK playing the part of a back-up band (I think y'all know what I mean). I'm anxiously awaiting samples from this one.

Couldn't have said it better myself and I am a massive DRN fanboy. Drove down on New Year's Eve to see the network and the Cherry Poppin Daddies at the Rosland theatre supporting The Heat tour and loved every second. I even have two different copies of Breathless on cassette (different covers slightly).

Amazing band and follow all the off shutes like Generator aka Slowrush.

Really looking forward to the album in June..Could be one of the highlights of the year for me

Saw this thread and checked out two of their music videos on Youtube, sounds a lot like 80s radio / pop music (kinda ''tech'') and not enough rock for my taste. Any songs or albums of theirs that incorporate more AOR elements?

DRN is pretty much a "funky rock" band, so you won't find much hard rock / heavy metal crossover.

If you're looking for an AOR vibe, try these:

Dan Reed's recent solo album certainly suggests he's a long way from releasing anything truly great, but good luck to y'all. I know for sure this won't do much for me, considering that even in their prime they didn't. Four nice ballads is about all I got from these guys...

Dan Reed's recent solo album certainly suggests he's a long way from releasing anything truly great, but good luck to y'all. I know for sure this won't do much for me, considering that even in their prime they didn't. Four nice ballads is about all I got from these guys...

4 ballads - no shit eh. Would never have guessed :whistle:

• My Little Pony

Haha. Right? None of us saw that coming.

Haha. Right? None of us saw that coming.

Yep, if you sit on your perches long enough and wait (as you evidently have) the time to swoop will come your way. So now feel free to ignore the billion posts I reference great hard rock songs inbetween, and wait for the ballad one again. 'Cause you know it'll come around again, even if it is... well, how long's it been now? A year? Happy waiting, you massive tools. ;)

Dan Reed Network in a nutshell - bland, rather poor funk band with 2 ballads on each of the first two album which were thankfully completely voice of funk, and therefore quite nice.

PS @ Geoff....me thinks the time to wait wont be that long ;)

Not long, at all.

No i could have swooped on the Company of Wolves comment but i didnt ;)

PS @ Geoff....me thinks the time to wait wont be that long ;)

Not long, at all.

No i could have swooped on the Company of Wolves comment but i didnt ;)

So every time I like a ballad it's a thing? And every time I like a non-ballad it didn't happen? You do realise how gay you two are being, don't you?

Karpet, why do you hate everyone except Jamiroquai? I don't understand why you don't like one single artist apart from Jamiroquai???

Glen, why do you love that Soto album so much? Russ had all the quotes for it. Why do you like such a shit album? And why do you only listen to Journey and that Soto album and not a single other CD ever? Do you realise other bands have released other music?

Yep, that's exactly how gay you two are. ;)

Dont be in denial Geoff. You know what we are saying is true.

:)

I've never denied I like ballads... if they're good songs. I don't need to be one of you tuff boyz who like all your metal hard, like all that really rough shit on the Dan Reed Network albums. I mean, that shit is real badazz. Like proper fucking metal. And I think you're really hardcore because you like really heavy stuff like that, and not the ballads. Seriously, it impresses me more than I could ever let you know. I idolize people who think ballads are shit and only real heavy shit is awesome. It is sooo impressive.

I love ballads, and on bad albums (like the Dan Reed Network albums) it was a very common occurrence (like on Vicious Rumours' 'Welcome to the ball') where the ballad was the one saving grace on an otherwise shit album. But it's generally always on shit albums where the ballad truly stands out.

If you can show me one great album that I have praised where I favour the ballad over the rest of it, my balls are yours and I'll even pay for the postage.

Just dwelling on one part of what is only a tiny percentage of the whole picture is so dumb and annoying. It is just plain stupid. Imagine we all just ignored Karpetface completely because of his religious beliefs. Sure he's a dumb fuck in that regard, but it doesn't mean every single other aspect of him is fucked... just that, and most the other parts. ;)