Ted Poley - Beyond The Fade

Stefan

I just found this very cool clip on youtube;

Yeah, sure it's a pretty cool song... but very typical kinds of 80's standard hard rock song. But yeah, probably next on the list...

Yeah I like this one.

In fairness I just re-checked the track listing on the main site and yeah the second half was pretty weak - weird how the brain is blinded by remembering a few gems - but man there were a few gems.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, that's a very good one. Shows what a good/ballsy production job does for an artist. To be completely honest, he's had similar songs to this on a few of his recent albums, but they all sounded thin and quite weak. This one sounds great.

Yeah, sure it's a pretty cool song... but very typical kinds of 80's standard hard rock song.

Yeah...its what I like about it..& the album ;) lol :)

• 2 weeks later...

Business as usual.

Nice!!!

Good song, but the video is far from flattering.

And gener8tr, the thing that's missing is really obvious. I really like Ted Poley and have even met him and think he is a genuinely good and decent guy in our music scene. But let's be frank and call it as it is - his voice is nowhere near where it used to be in 1989-1993. The production on this new stuff sounds good to me, but as the hands of time have a nasty habit of doing, they catch up with us all and Ted's voice, purely due to his vintage, just isn't what it used to be. Same thing goes for 90% of the guys we still listen to who were around in that era... it's only natural. Just listen to Coverdale. But I'm guessing that's the thing that's missing for you. I know it is for me. I love this new stuff, but I can't not think of how amazing it'd sound with his voice circa 1989.

For the record, as I have said many times and still do, Ted Poley is my favourite vocalist from that era. So I really don't mean to be harsh... love the dude's work... but time catches up with us all.

yeah it's a natural process, I'm okay with that, and that song is very good and quite enjoyable, fits with his current vocal ability I guess. Probably not wise to compare it to the Danger Danger early era, it's a whole different time, I think it's better to compare it to his recent solo or maybe D2 Revolve.

And gener8tr, the thing that's missing is really obvious. I really like Ted Poley and have even met him and think he is a genuinely good and decent guy in our music scene. But let's be frank and call it as it is - his voice is nowhere near where it used to be in 1989-1993. The production on this new stuff sounds good to me, but as the hands of time have a nasty habit of doing, they catch up with us all and Ted's voice, purely due to his vintage, just isn't what it used to be. Same thing goes for 90% of the guys we still listen to who were around in that era... it's only natural. Just listen to Coverdale. But I'm guessing that's the thing that's missing for you. I know it is for me. I love this new stuff, but I can't not think of how amazing it'd sound with his voice circa 1989.

For the record, as I have said many times and still do, Ted Poley is my favourite vocalist from that era. So I really don't mean to be harsh... love the dude's work... but time catches up with us all.

Out of curiosity who do you think are among the 10% that still sound as good as back in the day?

Maybe Ronnie Atkins? Johnny Gioeli? Davy Vain? or Jeff Scott Soto?

Out of curiosity who do you think are among the 10% that still sound as good as back in the day?

Out of those 4 only JSS.......As much as I love Ronnie Atkins his voice is basically shot live.

Others who are close to how they sounded back in the day (and who I have seen live within the last few years) -

Jack Blades

Terry Brock

Dennis Churchill Dries

Paul Laine

Steve Overland

Joey Tempest

Danny Bowes

Harry Hess

Danny Vaughn

Eric Martin

John Waite (possibly.......although not seen him live to prove that point??)

Anyone else pretty much forget it.

Out of those 4 only JSS.......As much as I love Ronnie Atkins his voice is basically shot live.

Others who are close to how they sounded back in the day (and who I have seen live within the last few years) -

Jack Blades

Terry Brock

Dennis Churchill Dries

Paul Laine

Steve Overland

Joey Tempest

Danny Bowes

Harry Hess

Danny Vaughn

Eric Martin

John Waite (possibly.......although not seen him live to prove that point??)

Anyone else pretty much forget it.

James Christian

Thought that Kelly Hansen sounded as good with Foreigner when I seen em last year as he did with Hurricane back in '91 when I seen him...perhaps better,his working of the crowd is still first class :)

And Dave Meniketti still aint bad just not as good as in his pomp