The vinyl revival... are you guys buying?

glam_junkie

With so many albums coming out on vinyl these days, just wondering if many others on this site have been buying?

Prior to the past few years there was only a few bands bothering with vinyl so it was lot easier to keep up to speed, and get all album you wanted. Now it seems far more difficult (ok ....impossible) to buy everything you want.

I've been keeping up with every hardcore superstar, sister, crashdiet release on vinyl
Trying to fill giant holes in backyard babies collection.

The you have everyone like buckcherry, h.e.a.t, hollywood burnouts, toxicrose all releasing some random vinyl, then reissues of stuff like pretty boy floyd, blackboard jungle,....

It definitely make collecting a more expensive excercise. (f**k you shit aussie dollar!)

I used to love vinyl ... gatefold sleeves, picture discs, coloured vinyl ... but I no longer have a record deck so, for me, vinyl is a nostalgia trip only ...

Definitely not. Never liked vinyl - the sound or the inconvenience. I don't know if I just had poor record players, but I never knew bands actually had a rhythm section until I heard my first CD (or even tape).

Weak sound; big annoying, impractical thing too. I kinda hate the things. ;)

With so many albums coming out on vinyl these days, just wondering if many others on this site have been buying?

Prior to the past few years there was only a few bands bothering with vinyl so it was lot easier to keep up to speed, and get all album you wanted. Now it seems far more difficult (ok ....impossible) to buy everything you want.

I've been keeping up with every hardcore superstar, sister, crashdiet release on vinyl

Trying to fill giant holes in backyard babies collection.

The you have everyone like buckcherry, h.e.a.t, hollywood burnouts, toxicrose all releasing some random vinyl, then reissues of stuff like pretty boy floyd, blackboard jungle,....

It definitely make collecting a more expensive excercise. (f**k you shit aussie dollar!)

I got the Santa Cruz singles if that's what you wanted to ask ;)

But not the W.E.T. one because it was a bad business decision from the label to print it on crappy picture disc.

Nah. I still have all my old LPs from back in the day in a crate in the closet but I'm not getting back on the vinyl collecting train. I don't have any place in my house where I'd be able to set up a turntable/etc. to listen to 'em anyway.

I pick up the obscure vinyl now then, especially the one that I know I wont find on cd format e.g. the Ana Black that I found a couple months ago. My most recent purchase was a Wrathchild (UK) which was autographed.

I'm surprised there's so few people into vinyl on here considering so many 80s hard rock albums never made it to cd and are only found on vinyl.

I've always purchased a bit of vinyl (no to the extent of my cd collecting), mainly 2nd hand at fairs and 2nd hand stores, but generally only if in great condition and reasonably priced.

I generally buy for 3 separate reasons:

1 - to make my collection of a particular artist complete (eg crashdiet, hardcore superstar, bon jovi) and these usually stay sealed / mint if purchased new.

2 - just some of my favourite 80s /90s albums for nostalgia sake just to throw on the turn table occasionally. generally more common stuff like britny fox, shotgun messiah, skid row, warrant, etc...

3 - other items that are just interesting. bands i never heard but looks cool, or maybe a signed album, pic disc, some thinging with a historical significance,...or something like that.

I would have to say that in terms of physical items they are much more interesting than cds, but yes Geoff..... the inconvenience of them is a MAJOR drawback for sure.

Not for me at the moment but I do have fond memories of vinyl. Maybe once the kids are older but knowing how I am I would want to collect everything, which would be fun but oh so expensive! Then there's the reality, which is why do I need 3 versions of my fav CDs (CD, digital and vinyl)?

As per the other thread I think I would pickup LP covers to use as art/framing etc. Love the big art.

Vinyl is cool as there are fools around to pay big cashos for it.

My biggest excitement is to speculate which titles will go on demand really soon after the release, buy 10-20 of them and let ebay do the business. There are some highly collectible vinyl labels out there (sorry, no names-business secret :D )

I'm happy to say that I succeed in the last titles I did this. Actually I still have copies from some of these albums which I regularly sell on ebay at Xmas. And I'm thrilled to write down that these listings never stay for more that half an hour. Having them on "buy it now" + FREE reg. shipping ( :tumbsup: ) are major selling points, apparently.

Gawd, I love to exploit the first order desires of these wantons.

I pick up the obscure vinyl now then, especially the one that I know I wont find on cd format e.g. the Ana Black that I found a couple months ago. My most recent purchase was a Wrathchild (UK) which was autographed.

stop finding all the cool stuff!!

I think I asked again but never got an answer : is this the vinyl?

I have a m/m copy for sale.

a036f059ca2e78764e2a7559de761154_full.jp

Vinyl is cool as there are fools around to pay big cashos for it.

My biggest excitement is to speculate which titles will go on demand really soon after the release, buy 10-20 of them and let ebay do the business. There are some highly collectible vinyl labels out there (sorry, no names-business secret :D )

I'm happy to say that I succeed in the last titles I did this. Actually I still have copies from some of these albums which I regularly sell on ebay at Xmas. And I'm thrilled to write down that these listings never stay for more that half an hour. Having them on "buy it now" + FREE reg. shipping ( :tumbsup: ) are major selling points, apparently.

Gawd, I love to exploit the first order desires of these wantons.

I don't have enough money to buy what I want, let alone extras.

I have done it once or twice, but really just to spit the postage (and sell the 2nd copy off to pay for mine)

Yeah, i see lots (even recent vinyl) can be costly quite quickly as they are pressed in small numbers. But i think the area of rock you are looking might be a bit different to the areas of rock I look.

I'm happy enough to wait for a good price though instead of paying massive $.

I still have all my old vinyl but I have not bought 1 since the 80s and I no longer have a phonograph anyway...I much prefer my 5 cd player so that my lazy ass does not have to get up for hours...lol

Maybe you could try mp3? You could listen for weeks without getting up ;)

I recently acquired a stereo system for the shed so have set up a 5cd player out there, with double tape deck, graphic equalizer, and added my turn table, Speakers that are the size of a small apartment.

Sure beats playing music thru a PS3 and a pair of bookshelf speakers, which is all I have inside at the moment due to my music retreat being taken over by nurseries and kids bedrooms.

I do love browsing the vinyl section at record stores - always exciting to see what cam be found. I love the big album covers and the sound but they are just so inconvenient and expensive. Still pick up the odd rarity and I like 7" singles with picture sleeves as well, but if it's on CD that's what I prefer.

I've never owned any vinyl at all. It has always seemed cumbersome & impractical. But I don't agree about sound quality at all. I think CDs are the best compromise. I have a friend with a very high end home stereo setup that has both a very high end CD player & turntable. Back to back comparisons of the same album on each format... vinyl just sounds better. It took him quite a while to get me to admit it lol.

I do love browsing the vinyl section at record stores - always exciting to see what cam be found. I love the big album covers and the sound but they are just so inconvenient and expensive. Still pick up the odd rarity and I like 7" singles with picture sleeves as well, but if it's on CD that's what I prefer.

I also sometimes find obscure stuff on vinyl for $5-10 that would cost 10 times that if lucky enough to find the cd version. Especially a lot of that late US 80s hard rock bands that never made it big, but were on the verge... so their cds are highly sought after but the vinyl no so much for some reason. On the other hand I see some that are the other way around... the vinyl going for more than the cd. It's hard to work out sometime.

Im not saying my preference for general listening is vinyl... cd is just far too convenient, but I've always just a niche for vinyl in my collection.

I don't bother with vinyl anymore and I don't even own a record player. It took me a good few years to swap over from vinyl to CD back in the day, which was purely down to the fact vinyl had a much nicer, warmer sound compared to CD (and with a good stereo system, still does to this day). I don't think i'll ever go back though. I still have a fair few of my old vinyl hanging about and occasionally I get them out and have a flick through.