MRFAU

melodicrock

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• My Little Pony

Holy shit, Geoff. You're comparisons of Imperial to Metric are what make no sense. They are two different measuring systems. In Canada many of us still use Imperial for measuring some things. If you ask me my height, and weight, and cock size, I'll tell you 6'4", 230 lbs, and 3" respectively. But all distances and speeds are measured in Metric.

Metric does make a whole lot more sense.

In Imperial you have an inch. Twelve inches make a foot. Three feet equal a yard. And there are 1760 yards in a mile. Simple. Right?

In Metric we use metres. 100 centimetres, or 1000 millimetres fit inside a metre. Because that makes sense. Also 10 millimetres equal one centimetre. And then 1000 metres make up one kilometre.

Holy shit, Geoff. You're comparisons of Imperial to Metric are what make no sense. They are two different measuring systems. In Canada many of us still use Imperial for measuring some things. If you ask me my height, and weight, and cock size, I'll tell you 6'4", 230 lbs, and 3" respectively. But all distances and speeds are measured in Metric.

Metric does make a whole lot more sense.

In Imperial you have an inch. Twelve inches make a foot. Three feet equal a yard. And there are 1760 yards in a mile. Simple. Right?

In Metric we use metres. 100 centimetres, or 1000 millimetres fit inside a metre. Because that makes sense. Also 10 millimetres equal one centimetre. And then 1000 metres make up one kilometre.

It'd be the same worldwide; people still using imperial measurements for some stuff. In Australia most people refer to their height in feet and inches. Even I admit that I have only ever in my entire life heard people refer to the size of surfboards in feet and inches, and do so myself. And old people certainly still use it a lot.

I understand it is still used in some circumstances, but I still think it is very stupid and illogical. It's seeing it used where it's not needed that annoys me.

Oh, and 3"? You seriously trying to get away with that? I've heard it's struggling to hit 1". Just what I've heard...

I get all that and it may be "simple" but it's just so stupid. What kind of logical sense does that make at all? It makes sense to people because it's been around since the dawn of time, but essentially, it's just random numbers. A different mood in the start, and an inch could have been 2.51cm, or 2.63cm. And it would have just been accepted through the years but still made no sense.
And honestly, 2.54cm is pretty big. What term do you use for a lot of stuff that is less than one inch? Fractions? Could it seriously be more stupid? And could metric not be more basic, straightforward and logical? No.
I agree that one day the world will all be metric, and it'll be a sensible day.
Anyway, who's the band, Andrew? :lol:

@ Geoff........

Loads of things in the UK are in metric, but people still dont know what it is and 'refer' it back to old talk lol.

That's just a fact.......like it or not. lol

What is a metre anyway?? Who the hell decided that was the best way of measuring things??

Well here is what a metre is -

Since 1983, the metre has been internationally defined as the length of the path travelled by light in vacuum during a time interval of 1/ 299 792 458 of a second.

That makes a lot of sense eh??

Metric is more based on scientific measurements or measurements in maths but that doesnt mean it makes more sense in everyday life for people to visualise what that measurement refers to. It might be easier to divide by 10 but the imperial system was designed (way back - probably around Roman times or earlier) for the common sense approach - so you could visualise things more easily - that;s why people still relate back to imperial to get a better understanding..........

Consider this -

If you hold your hands out straight in front of you, arms locked. Turn your palms toward each other as if to say “it was about this big”. The distance between them is a foot. If you stick your index finger and thumb out so they are parallel to each other they are an inch apart...or close to. The length of an average forearm is about a foot, and your actual foot (in a shoe) is about a foot (roughly speaking). The length of the top part of your thumb is about an inch. These are units we can easily visualize because we see them every day.

Metric is easier in science to 'calculate' things - for example when machines need to work in certain ways etc, but stinks when you try to visualise something 'in your brain'........for example if I was to say something was 4 feet wide you could easily visualise this as 4 times the width of your outstretched arms........say to someone about 120cms and 'our brains' have a far more diffcult time comprehending this.

Same with weather - farenheit was easier to comprehend cos 0 was cold and 100 was hot. Made more sense to the brain that 37 is hot and -15 or something is cold.

So there you go.

Imperial will always be easier to comprehend because most things you want to measure in everyday life you need to be able to visualise - doesnt matter how you need to multiply things up, whether in tens or 12ths - when do you ever do that?? What difference does it make??

You still manage to comprehend 12 hours in the morning and 24 hours in a day - easy right??

;-)

@ Geoff........

Loads of things in the UK are in metric, but people still dont know what it is and 'refer' it back to old talk lol.

That's just a fact.......like it or not. lol

What is a metre anyway?? Who the hell decided that was the best way of measuring things??

Well here is what a metre is -

Since 1983, the metre has been internationally defined as the length of the path travelled by light in vacuum during a time interval of 1/ 299 792 458 of a second.

That makes a lot of sense eh??

Metric is more based on scientific measurements or measurements in maths but that doesnt mean it makes more sense in everyday life for people to visualise what that measurement refers to. It might be easier to divide by 10 but the imperial system was designed (way back - probably around Roman times or earlier) for the common sense approach - so you could visualise things more easily - that;s why people still relate back to imperial to get a better understanding..........

Consider this -

If you hold your hands out straight in front of you, arms locked. Turn your palms toward each other as if to say “it was about this big”. The distance between them is a foot. If you stick your index finger and thumb out so they are parallel to each other they are an inch apart...or close to. The length of an average forearm is about a foot, and your actual foot (in a shoe) is about a foot (roughly speaking). The length of the top part of your thumb is about an inch. These are units we can easily visualize because we see them every day.

Metric is easier in science to 'calculate' things - for example when machines need to work in certain ways etc, but stinks when you try to visualise something 'in your brain'........for example if I was to say something was 4 feet wide you could easily visualise this as 4 times the width of your outstretched arms........say to someone about 120cms and 'our brains' have a far more diffcult time comprehending this.

Same with weather - farenheit was easier to comprehend cos 0 was cold and 100 was hot. Made more sense to the brain that 37 is hot and -15 or something is cold.

So there you go.

Imperial will always be easier to comprehend because most things you want to measure in everyday life you need to be able to visualise - doesnt matter how you need to multiply things up, whether in tens or 12ths - when do you ever do that?? What difference does it make??

You still manage to comprehend 12 hours in the morning and 24 hours in a day - easy right??

;-)

lol, in a nutshell because it's not going to go anywhere; At the end of the day, you are used to a stupid illogical way of measurement and that's what you know. And I am used to a sensible, logical system of measurement and that's (thankfully) what I know. That's just how it is.

Oh, and please don't get into the weather or you're really going to infuriate me. If it is one degree above 0 it is one degree. It's not 4,687 degrees, or whatever the first idiotic measurement in fahrenheit is. I don't understand how anything can be more simple than celcius compared to fahrenheit. 37 degrees celsius is hot because it's 37 degrees above 0. Not 100 - that's just fucking stupid. Is the world on fire? No. Because it would be if it was 100 degrees, for fuck's sake. Sorry mate, I know you're brought up on this so like I said, it's not all your fault, but surely you can see how stupid it is? What is so wrong with calling it how it is?? 10 degrees is 10 degrees above 0. How can something be more basic?

Anyway, not sure if I've just lost too much interest to care, but not sure what you mean by the 12 and 24 hour comment, but yeah, sure. ;)

• 1 month later...

News coming... a few issues holding things up. Like a venue :)

I hear Homebush, in Sydney, is free. ;) Or all the other venues in Sydney too... and especially on the NSW Central Coast. They'd all be absolutely perfect for it!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

MELODICROCKFEST AUSTRALIA 2016

May 13-14, 2016 @ The Elephant & Wheelbarrow; St. Kilda, Melbourne
FRIDAY MAY 13 (from 5pm)(Acoustic/Electric):
($35)
Kaato (full band set)
Vanishing Point (full band set)
Tonk (full band set)
Paul Laine (unplugged)
Black Majesty (exclusive unplugged set)
The Radio Sun (unplugged)
+ Special Guest/s to be announced!
SATURDAY MAY 14 (from 2pm):
($65)
Eclipse
Paul Laine
Mitch Malloy
BB Steal
White Widdow
The Radio Sun
Serpentine Sky
Teargas
VENUE: Elephant & Wheelbarrow - St. Kilda; Melbourne
Friday $35
Saturday $65
2-Day Ticket Deal $89
(prices include GST)
VIP Weekend Pass $225
(100 only)
VIP details to follow next week.
Initial ticket sale all via PayPal.
Tickets on sale 10am (AEST) Wednesday December 9 (and sent out in late January)

Wowser, would love to somehow make that Saturday night. I will look out for random cheap flights to Melbourne from now until then and hope for the best. But they always sting you with the return flight and then there's a night's accommodation too. It could be a mountain far too high to climb, but I'd love to catch that night of action.

What kind of line-ups are we looking at for BB Steal and Teargas? And what kind of setlist for Teargas? Having seen them perform a full set live at the time of their 3 song debut (?) EP, I would go on record as saying that they would arguably have had the best set of unreleased songs of any Australian artist I know of. By christ they had some killer songs, which never made it to the studio. :(

• 3 months later...

Wowser, would love to somehow make that Saturday night. I will look out for random cheap flights to Melbourne from now until then and hope for the best. But they always sting you with the return flight and then there's a night's accommodation too. It could be a mountain far too high to climb, but I'd love to catch that night of action.

What kind of line-ups are we looking at for BB Steal and Teargas? And what kind of setlist for Teargas? Having seen them perform a full set live at the time of their 3 song debut (?) EP, I would go on record as saying that they would arguably have had the best set of unreleased songs of any Australian artist I know of. By christ they had some killer songs, which never made it to the studio. :(

Hi Geoff,

I guess I'm in a reliable position to answer your questions! ;-)

We are doing this show (and another one or two) for our reunion. We are very much representing the "Crazy"-era of the band. The core three original members are featured - myself, Kyle Ross on lead guitar, and Steve Cox on bass. Longtime drummer Luciano Alvaro (played on A Dark Obsession and with me in Moments Apart) will be with us, and our friend Anth Nekich is the newcomer on rhythm guitar.

Setlist I'll keep a secret, but it's exclusively material we played live from 2002-2005.

Really looking forward to playing at Melodic Rock Fest and dusting off some really old songs. Come say g'day if you make it to the show - we'll be on early!

Hi Geoff,

We are doing this show (and another one or two) for our reunion. We are very much representing the "Crazy"-era of the band. The core three original members are featured - myself, Kyle Ross on lead guitar, and Steve Cox on bass. Longtime drummer Luciano Alvaro (played on A Dark Obsession and with me in Moments Apart) will be with us, and our friend Anth Nekich is the newcomer on rhythm guitar.

Setlist I'll keep a secret, but it's exclusively material we played live from 2002-2005.

Really looking forward to playing at Melodic Rock Fest and dusting off some really old songs. Come say g'day if you make it to the show - we'll be on early!

Thanks mate... as I mentioned in the other thread I just replied to; would love to see some kind of recording of these songs available for the interested public. ;)

I did actually try very hard to make attending this gig happen for me, but in end I just had to pull the pin. The ticket prices are incredible value, and I had some really cheap accomodation lined up too, literally just around the corner from the venue. The part that raped me was the cost of getting there and back - it was just going to end up stupid, and with a 3 week overseas holiday coming up with the wife and 2 kids; plus my wife still being on (unpaid) maternity leave until July... it was just going to be way too much to try and make this happen.

Shame, as I originally thought I might be able to get $100 return flights... but even then, when I read the fine print, they were to and from Avalon, which would have been another huge mass of money to get to and from too, I am sure. Not that those $100 return flights ever re-appeared on my searches after my initial search. After that it was all far more expensive flights, at unmanageable times of day too.

Yep, I tried, but maybe next time; if the location gets changed to Sydney. ;)

Hi Geoff,

Thanks mate... as I mentioned in the other thread I just replied to; would love to see some kind of recording of these songs available for the interested public. ;)

I did actually try very hard to make attending this gig happen for me, but in end I just had to pull the pin. The ticket prices are incredible value, and I had some really cheap accomodation lined up too, literally just around the corner from the venue. The part that raped me was the cost of getting there and back - it was just going to end up stupid, and with a 3 week overseas holiday coming up with the wife and 2 kids; plus my wife still being on (unpaid) maternity leave until July... it was just going to be way too much to try and make this happen.

Shame, as I originally thought I might be able to get $100 return flights... but even then, when I read the fine print, they were to and from Avalon, which would have been another huge mass of money to get to and from too, I am sure. Not that those $100 return flights ever re-appeared on my searches after my initial search. After that it was all far more expensive flights, at unmanageable times of day too.

Yeah I know what your saying...We're in the same position but going to go anyway. The ticket prices for MRFAU are great but by the time we look at accommodation and flights, it's going to be an expensive weekend. Still the line-up is great and I am excited to be going regardless of the cost. It's a real shame Mitch pulled out, not the biggest drawcard for most people but for me I had been playing all of his albums since the line-up was announced trying to become more familiar with his work after his debut. His second album is surprisingly much better than I remembered. Can't wait to see BB Steal, Teargas and of course White Widdow and Serpentine Sky...and The Radio Sun and Paul Laine and Eclipse. So yeah pretty much the whole line-up. Are Vanishing Point good live these days, does anybody know? Also Kaata and Tonk - both I am unfamiliar with - any songs worth checking out on Youtube to get me interested?

Hi Geoff,

Hi Geoff,

Yeah I know what your saying...We're in the same position but going to go anyway. The ticket prices for MRFAU are great but by the time we look at accommodation and flights, it's going to be an expensive weekend. Still the line-up is great and I am excited to be going regardless of the cost. It's a real shame Mitch pulled out, not the biggest drawcard for most people but for me I had been playing all of his albums since the line-up was announced trying to become more familiar with his work after his debut. His second album is surprisingly much better than I remembered. Can't wait to see BB Steal, Teargas and of course White Widdow and Serpentine Sky...and The Radio Sun and Paul Laine and Eclipse. So yeah pretty much the whole line-up. Are Vanishing Point good live these days, does anybody know? Also Kaata and Tonk - both I am unfamiliar with - any songs worth checking out on Youtube to get me interested?

I completely understand that Geoff. Ah, families, financial responsibilities - wasn't really a concern back when Teargas had its run, but it most certainly is now - hence why we're only doing these couple of shows then calling it a day again.

I'll see you there JC_AOR - make sure you get there early on the Saturday, or you'll miss us. Haha!

stupid distances in your country ;)

Firefest/Rockingham is half way across the country from me but I can still drive there in 3 hours for £20.