1993 - Best Albums

strong candidate for the top ten position for me are DEF LEPPARD, ENUFF ZNUFF, HAREM SCAREM, MARK FREE, MR.BIG, and RED DAWN. AND B.JOVI.

I think ANNIHILATOR, GOTTHARD, SAVATAGE, SIC VIKKI, and MUD SLICK also probably can make a good contender

See, I fixed for ya, buddy!

I think we established the other day that 'Keep the faith' is actually from 1992...

strong candidate for the top ten position for me are DEF LEPPARD, ENUFF ZNUFF, HAREM SCAREM, MARK FREE, MR.BIG, and RED DAWN. AND B.JOVI.

I think ANNIHILATOR, GOTTHARD, SAVATAGE, SIC VIKKI, and MUD SLICK also probably can make a good contender

I think we established the other day that 'Keep the faith' is actually from 1992...

Correct, I believe the release date was November 3rd, 1992

Correct, I believe the release date was November 3rd, 1992

Yeah, I stand corrected. I just looked in the back sleeve of my vinyl copy (Greek pressing). Actually I didn't even list it in my 93 favorites. :christmas:

• 4 weeks later...

Geoff..... a 68% for BLACKFISH??

That disc is awesome and way closer to 85%

'The only one' is awesome, and 'If I' is very cool too. The rest of it isn't bad, but it's not great either, imo. It's actually a pretty average disc bar the one truly amazing song. Imo.

Looking through my rated albums, I find these to be the best from 1993.

1. Harem Scarem - Mood Swings - 77 %

Well, "everyone" seems to love this one, I prefer their first album and surprisingly "Higher". Might be alone to think so...

No, you are not alone. Both albums are better than Mood Swings, although I would have Mood Swings a lot higher than 77%.

Well, "everyone" seems to love this one, I prefer their first album and surprisingly "Higher". Might be alone to think so...

No, you are not alone. Both albums are better than Mood Swings, although I would have Mood Swings a lot higher than 77%.

Top 5 Harem Scarem albums;

1. Harem Scarem
2. Mood Swings
3. The Early Years
4. Believe
5. Higher

1. Harem Scarem
2. Mood Swings
3. The Early Years
4. Believe
5. Higher

There is no filler on 'Higher' and the hooks are better than Mood Swings.

1. Harem Scarem
2. Mood Swings
3. The Early Years ( + 2 tracks from 7"inch single under the name of "Minotaur")
4. Believe
5. Higher

Easy! :tumbsup:

Have to reassess the others in order to cement my opinion, because I really love Weight Of The World.

1. Harem Scarem
2. Mood Swings
3. The Early Years
4. Believe
5. Higher

'Lies,' 'Gone' and 'Reach' are weaker than anything on 'Mood Swings,' imo. I don't know of any filler on 'Mood Swings' at all. Maybe the silly version of 'Just like I planned,' but I never really considered that one of the album tracks, but more an interlude.

In terms of the hooks being better than on 'Mood Swings,' not sure what would make you say something like that, but to each their own. Love the band and both albums, but I rated 'Mood Swings' 89% and 'Higher' 83%, which is a solid gap when you get to the business end of ratings. For me, 'Mood Swings' is the much better album, but to each their own.

1. Harem Scarem
2. Mood Swings
3. The Early Years
4. Believe
5. Higher

'Lies,' 'Gone' and 'Reach' are weaker than anything on 'Mood Swings,' imo. I don't know of any filler on 'Mood Swings' at all. Maybe the silly version of 'Just like I planned,' but I never really considered that one of the album tracks, but more an interlude.

In terms of the hooks being better than on 'Mood Swings,' not sure what would make you say something like that, but to each their own. Love the band and both albums, but I rated 'Mood Swings' 89% and 'Higher' 83%, which is a solid gap when you get to the business end of ratings. For me, 'Mood Swings' is the much better album, but to each their own.

Harem Scarem

Weight Of The World

Higher

Mood Swings

For me, 'Mood Swings' is clearly the better album, it's a classic and there's a reason why they re-recorded it. Looks like 'Just Like I Planned' is the score-swinger here and you can find it's replaced with an acoustic rendition in Mood Swings II. I dig both but slightly prefer the acoustic one

'Higher' and 'Weight' are both great albums indeed but IMHO modern day HAREM SCAREM are inferior to their classic era because even though both are consistent albums, it lacks the amount of 9/10 or 10/10 tracks as the first two albums did hence the replay ratio is like 3:1 for me if compared to the first two :)

The first is a perfect 100% and 'Mood' is a 93.2% from me and I haven't rated 'Higher' and 'Weight' but my guts tell me it should be around 82-87%

1. Harem Scarem
2. Mood Swings
3. The Early Years
4. Believe
5. Higher

Lies and Gone are 2 of my fav songs on that album.

In fact the last 4 songs are all excellent imo - one of the strongest ends to an album ever.

'Waited' is also my fav HS song.

Mood Swings is a great album - the first half is melodic perfection, the second half a bit weaker.

For a change the main site has the ratings about right............

s/t 9.44

Higher 9.27

Mood Swings 9.16

I reckon mine would be circa -

s/t 97%

Higher 95%

Mood Swings 90%

Oh, and for the record they re-recorded Mood Swings to re-obtain the recording rights, and for no other reason.

Cheers

1. Harem Scarem
2. Mood Swings
3. The Early Years
4. Believe
5. Higher

Lies and Gone are 2 of my fav songs on that album.

In fact the last 4 songs are all excellent imo - one of the strongest ends to an album ever.

'Waited' is also my fav HS song.

Mood Swings is a great album - the first half is melodic perfection, the second half a bit weaker.

In reality, 'Waited' is about the only song truly on par with 'Mood Swings.' 'Run and Hide' is another of my all-time HS faves, but a very different style to 'Mood Swings.'

I don't want to sound critical of 'Higher' because I like it a lot, but honestly, stuff like 'Saviour never cry,' 'Stranger than love,' Sentimental Blvd' and 'There was a time' is a complete different class of song compared to the stuff on 'Higher.' In terms of musicianship too, 'Mood Swings' is absolutely fantastic. 'Higher' is nice modern melodic rock, but a world away from where they were at, musically, with 'Mood Swings,'

Yeah those songs are all very good. Its elsewhere that the album doesn't quite reach the mark.....hook wise.

The thing about Higher is the perfect hooks. You could sing virtually every song after hearing it just once.

I dont ever feel the urge to sing any songs off Mood Swings - i always enjoy it while listening and then forget it all.

With Higher those hooks are glued in yr head

That is what i like about it and why it is a great melodic rock album.

• 3 months later...

Accept - Objection Overruled

Cathedral - The Ethereal Mirror

Fight - War of Words

Mercyful Fate - In the Shadows

Randy Rose - Healing

Savatage - Edge of Thorns

Shotgun Messiah - Violent New Breed

Winters Bane - Heart of a Killer

Type O Negative - Bloody Kisses

• 6 years later...

1. Harem Scarem - Mood Swings
2.  Poison – Native Tongue
3.  Helix – It’s A Business Doing Pleasure
4.   Quireboys - Bitter Sweet & Twisted
5.   Winger - Pull
6.   Mr. Big - Bump Ahead
7.   Arcade – Arcade 
8.   Anthrax - Sound Of White Noise
9.   Enuff Z' Nuff - Animals With Human Intelligence
10. Coverdale/ Page - Coverdale/Page

• 2023 Gold Donors

I probably could have added more, but I've left it at these "essential" (IMO) 11.

Harem Scarem - Mood Swings

Mark Free - Long Way From Love

Sic Vikki - Kiss Me In French

Winger - Pull

Talisman - Genesis 

Eyes - Windows to the Soul

Jeff Paris - Lucky This Time

Shotgun Symphony - ST

Vince Neil - Exposed 

Gary Hughes - ST

George Lynch - Sacred Groove

Edited by Darkstone

• 2 months later...

I did a whole podcast on this recently. I was shocked how good this year was. Everyone looks back and says Metal was done in 1991. Oh I don’t think so. Savatage - Edge Of Thorns, Lillian Axe - Psycho, Vince Neil - Exposed, Winger - Pull, Poison - Native Tongue. We covered these and many more. 

Listen here: 

Edited by metalmike76