W.A.S.P. - Golgotha

Stefan

• 1 month later...
  • My Little Pony

I don't think I've ever listened to WASP before. Is this really that good, bearing in mind I don't have their catalogue to compare it to?

I don't think I've ever listened to WASP before. Is this really that good, bearing in mind I don't have their catalogue to compare it to?

Huh? Never listened to W.A.S.P.? Wow..... you're missing out. Not really a bad disc in their catalog. Always a consistent band. My favorite is probably The Last Command. Awesome discography.

• 4 months later...

Came here to hear the samples again now that the album is out but they've pretty much all be removed.

Anyone have it yet and can offer a comparison to other WASP albums?

I don't know I've always felt the new W.A.S.P. albums - despite the first track released always instantly making a good impression - lack something that the older albums had. Don't get me wrong I have no problem listening to it, Blackie's voice still sounds good, instruments are all there etc. I don't know if it's the songwriting or the production is too modern and becomes boring after a while but I can never listen to a full album of theirs whereas I have no problem sitting through ''The Headless Children'' in its entirety or one of their other early albums. There's songs on all old releases I don't particularly like but the bad tracks are fewer and less boring than they've been on more recent albums.

Must admit this didn't have any longevity with me.

I like the songs but they do tend to be very similar after awhile

Wow, basically my thoughts in a nutshell! All sounds kind of ''samey'' maybe it's a lack of diversity in the lead guitar department as well

All sounds kind of ''samey''

Yep yep!

Lord knows I love me some W.A.S.P. and I'll buy anything Blackie puts out, but he's been in a rut since the late 90s/early 2000s.

The last album where he really stretched his creative muscles was K.F.D., but that sucked. Since then he's basically been ripping himself off and cannibalizing his own past goods...and while sometimes it's worked, sometimes it hasn't.

Helldorado was a throwback to the "Animal" and debut album era.

Unholy Terror and Dying For the World were throwbacks to the Headless Children era.

The Neon God was warmed up, lame ass Crimson Idol leftovers -- and the only reason that bloated saga was stretched out over two CDs was cuz Blackie had two albums left on his contract to Sanctuary Records and he wanted to get the fuck out of Dodge.

Since then, Blackie's gone back to the Headless Children well for three albums running. Dominator, Babylon, and now Golgotha have a couple of decent tracks each but quite frankly if you've heard one of those albums you've heard'em all.

Had a good laugh around the time ''Babylon'' came out when Blackie said in an interview that the fans responded to them playing ''Crazy'' like it was an old classic

I was like duh... that's because they thought they were hearing ''Wild Child'' :D

I dont actually think W.A.S.P. have done a bad album, even KFD had some great moments, but have to say, all modern W.A.S.P. is good but not great. That said, this album is fucking brilliant and up there as one of my favourite albums of the year. Really did not expect something this good when I bought it. Probably the most "commercial" album they have done in their career, but it certainly has that classic sound.

• 3 weeks later...