2015...... the year of garbage?

I'm not saying everything I've heard this year is bad but damn. I know I've heard a good 40 to 50 releases this year already and less than a dozen have been any good at all. What's with all the mediocre to bad music coming out??

What happened to QUALITY over QUANTITY?

Beats me. I stopped payin' attention to new sh*t ages ago. (shrugs)

Beats me. I stopped payin' attention to new sh*t ages ago. (shrugs)

I don't blame you. I guess it's because anybody and everybody can create music nowadays via the computer. They can record and self produce their own "music".

Problem is...... 80% of them are unlistenable to just plain flat out terrible. And they wonder why record sales are so bad..... how about trying to sell some GOOD music!! :lol:

2015 so far is extremely slow with good releases. Other than Revolution Saints and Eclipse nothing has really stood out and got me excited. Those are actually the only two cd's I've bought so far this year...quite the drought and I'm thirsty for new music.

Disagree on the assessment of 2015 thus far. 3 months in and there are (IMO) several excellent releases:

In no particular order:

Revolution Saints

Eclipse

Serious Black

A Life Divided

Ordan Ogen

I didn't say everything is garbage..... I said "less than a dozen have been any good at all". Of course I love the Rev. Saints and Eclipse. But more crap releases than good ones IMO.

Ive only bought 3 so far - Rev Saints, Eclipse and Soto. I love all 3 though. RS and Eclipse match up to most stuff from last year so id call that quality over quantity eh?.

A load im looking forward to though -

Night Flight Orchestra

Tremonti

Destine

Degreed

Wigelius

Dan reed Network

Just to mention a few....

still think it will be a great year for new music.

I think it'll be a bad year, in fact it'll be the worst in the last 5 years and I said it from the beginning.

The top 20 will be full with 80% stuffs and no surprise if only 4 or 5 CDs are worth 90% :D

I think the fact that just about every crap album gets it's own topic on the forum nowadays makes it seem like there is an awful lot of shit being released in 2015 but really there is probably just as many great and not so great albums being released in comparison to the last five years or so. In years gone by we mostly only discussed the better albums. Take a look at the sleaze glam section for example, tons of shitty new bands with their own topics in there. I'm not claimig to be the judge of whats good and what isnt, but in my view we do start topics for albums that are dreadful a lot more than we used to.

Haha, fair point, Justin, but only to a degree. The threads on shitty bands only really stay on the main page for a day or two, and then quickly fade into oblivion. Generally, it's only the threads on the good releases, or popular bands within the genre that have any longevity. I don't mind so many threads because at the end of the day everyone has different tastes in music so you never know your luck - might be something good posted you'd not heard before.

As for 2015, I think it's slow, but it is only April. I think it's pretty much on par with any other recent years in terms of quality releases. So far, I have really enjoyed:

Care Of Night - Connected
Issa - Crossfire
Eclipse - Armageddonize
Santa Cruz - Santa Cruz
And these are all quite good too:
Revolution Saints - Revolution Saints
Papa Roach - F.E.A.R.
Hit The Lights - Summer Bones
Falling In Reverse - Just Like You
One gem per month is a decent strike rate. Aside from Wigelius and Destine, though, there's nothing at all on the horizon that I can think of that truly interests me.

As for 2015, I think it's slow, but it is only April. I think it's pretty much on par with any other recent years in terms of quality releases.

Yup. Last year was pretty slow for top releases (for me at least) until after the mid-year mark, after which the selection improved immensely.

There's no guarantee that 2015 will pick up in the same vein, but it's happened before.

As far as new topics being posted about every release under the sun, IMO this is a GOOD thing. I've encountered plenty of music that I would not otherwise have considered or been aware of. As the Geoffadillo says, the ones that are of no interest slide down and fade into oblivion and the ones that are actually good get discussed and bumped up. The threads sort themselves out in that regard.

Yeah I see what you mean Geoff and Dan about the threads sorting themselves out and yeah I agree that it is a good thing to be inclusive of all bands within the genres, good and bad. I guess what I'm trying to say is that 2015 only looks bad at a glance because of a large number of bad releases but amidst these is a handful of very good / excellent releases eg Care of Night, Eclipse and Rev Saints. Three months in and it's not looking too bad. Definitely no worse than the last few years.

Age Nielson's Shanghai'd is very good too.

that's so last year ;-)

Holy crap, time flies, that was last year.

Well, my comment still stands, it is very good...just not relevant to this thread! LOL

Some great releases so far this year in all genres, with lots to come, so looks like another good year for me.

'Shangheid' was only a Japanese release last year, with the Euro release being 2015, so may pop up in quite a few peoples end of years lists this year

• My Little Pony

Ive only bought 3 so far - Rev Saints, Eclipse and Soto. I love all 3 though. RS and Eclipse match up to most stuff from last year so id call that quality over quantity eh?.

A load im looking forward to though -

Night Flight Orchestra

Tremonti

Destine

Degreed

Wigelius

Dan reed Network

Just to mention a few....

still think it will be a great year for new music.

Do we know that new Dan Reed album is a DRN album? I must have missed that distinction.