1982 - Best Albums

Oh how we split our sides laughing ;)

I respect peoples opinion but my gripe is the list is not complete.

Surely even for Geoff Asia and Toto would score above 45% ??

Both are classics to me.

I respect peoples opinion, unless their opinion is stoopid.

I know mate, but you'll get there one day. Just smarten up a bit. One day someone may respect you. Well, maybe... especially if you lose that christianity thing.

Anyway guys, I 100% admit that these lists are incomplete. You mention some awful artists there, Glen, and I could mention early Y&T and Van Halen, who would probably both rate above 45% too... amongst many others. But what am I meant to do? In a world of a billion albums, is it really in my best interest to listen to albums I know without an element of doubt that I will not like? I've done it more than enough in the past, obviously, and I need to cull this filthy habit.

Yes, I could create bigger lists with 100+ albums rated from 30-55%, but why? Why even bother? I did print the lists from 1980-1983 admitting it was not my thing. If any of my lists from 1984 are incomplete in y'all's eyes (well, except for Karpetface as we really don't care what he says anyway, do we?) then please feel free to get stuck into me. I have stated countless times that 1984 is where it starts for me, and the basic fact is I just don't like pre-1984 music as a whole. I just had to get them out the way quick, but I can assure you that from 1984 onwards I will have nice, full and extensive lists. ;)

I couldn't give a monkeys what you rate and what you post, but if you decide to post a top 10 or whatever from a given year, make it a true top 10.

Also, is the Asia debut awful? I do not think so. A great AOR album highly regarded by many fans of this tiny genre.

So too with the Toto-IV album. Most would agree it is a classic west coast album

Even for you I would guess that both would easily score above 60% - for most here probably above 85%.

So why Sinner @ 43% and JVZ @ 51% but not these 2 - makes no sense to me.

But you carry on..........

The reason why Sinner and JVZ were rated was because they were there to be rated. I actually don't know why Asia wasn't... I always thought I owned that one, lol. But apparently not. I know I had it on cassette all my life, but apparently never got the CD. But that's all I can do anyway, just rate what I have.

But yeah, maybe I'll try to get the MP3s of the Asia one to rate, because, yeah, for it's time it had some good songs. But Toto... definitely not for me.

The reason why Sinner and JVZ were rated was because they were there to be rated. I actually don't know why Asia wasn't... I always thought I owned that one, lol. But apparently not. I know I had it on cassette all my life, but apparently never got the CD. But that's all I can do anyway, just rate what I have.

But yeah, maybe I'll try to get the MP3s of the Asia one to rate, because, yeah, for it's time it had some good songs. But Toto... definitely not for me.

Oh I see - sorry I assumed you owned (in some format ;)) just about everything.........

as you were.

Yeah I have a bit of a soft spot for the Asia album as it was one of the first cds I ever bought - the second album was pretty good too.

It is why, ideally, I don't really want to bother posting any of these lists until I have actually rated every single bit of media I have. I'm coming to an end with the CDs, but after that I still have boxes full of CDRs and masses of MP3s to get through. I do know there will be stuff I miss until I have gone through everything, but I also assume that most of anything worth mentioning will have been covered once I finish my CDs. But as highlighted here, there will always be exceptions to this.

I truly have no issue with that first Asia album (and only said the two albums you mentioned were shit because I couldn't remember what you said and couldn't be bothered to scroll back up, :lol: ) as I also owned it very early on and always loved a couple of songs from it. But that'd be my fear for it. That in it's entirety I'm not sure I loved more than half of it. But I will make a point to rate it. I might even still have the tape...

• 6 years later...

lol, I thought I'd gently come here to post what I believe will be my final version of 1982 in summary, but I remembered not what a fuss had been caused in the past. Haha. Anyway, I think for the pre-1984 stuff I'll leave the ratings out, so as not to cause anguish. 1984 and beyond I'm confident with my ratings. 

But I am trying to really get my music into order, and I have 1979-1984 in order, hoping to get through a lot more in 2023. High hopes. But as I go through, I was thinking to revisit these threads and pen my final thoughts as I complete a year. 

As viewers, I'd suggest that to not take it as personally as some seemed to in the past, just remember this is just my personal thoughts on the year. I'm certainly not an expert, and definitely not stamping this down as facts and ordering everyone to hear the year the same as I heard it. Just my thoughts on the music in 1982 that I put my ears to. No cause for alarm. ;)

1    .    Motley Crue     -    Too Fast For Love
2    .    Night Ranger     -    Dawn Patrol
3    .    KISS     -    Creatures Of The Night
4    .    Survivor     -    Eye Of The Tiger
5    .    Stranger     -    Stranger
6    .    Santers     -    Racing Time
7    .    Wrabit     -    Tracks
8    .    Franke & The Knockouts     -    Below The Belt
9    .    Scorpions     -    Blackout
10    .    Coney Hatch     -    Coney Hatch

11    .    Asia     -    Asia
12    .    Toto     -    Toto IV
13    .    Aerosmith     -    Rock In A Hard Place
14    .    Headpins     -    Turn It Loud
15    .    Head On     -    Washington Battery
16    .    Johnny Van Zant     -    The Last Of The Wild Ones
17    .    Jefferson Starship     -    Winds of Change
18    .    Vow Wow     -    Warning From Stardust
19    .    Tony Carey     -    I Won't Be Home Tonight
20    .    Icehouse     -    Primitive Man

21    .    Vandenberg     -    Vandenberg
22    .    Mama's Boys     -    Plug It In
23    .    Sinner     -    Wild 'N' Evil
24    .    Riot     -    Restless Breed
25    .    Raven     -    Wiped Out

And my favourite songs of the year (in the future I'd prefer to have one song per artist but the two Crue songs were so far ahead of the pack I felt it only fair to do it in this manner)-

1. Motley Crue     -    Piece of Your Action  
2. Motley Crue     -    Live Wire 
3. KISS     -    I still love you
4. Asia     -    Heat of the Moment
5. Night Ranger     -    Don't Tell Me You Love Me 
6. Santers     -    Mistreatin' Heart
7. Toto     -    Africa

On 2/27/2015 at 5:29 AM, Glen said:

Here's my short list for 1982 - God only knows how I will decide on my top 5, but I've starred the 5 contenders -

1. 707 - Megaforce
  2. Alliance Alliance
  3. Asia Asia *
  4. Balance In For The Count
  5. Gillan Magic
  6. Grand Prix Samurai
  7. Hughes/Thrall Hughes/Thrall
  8. Iron Maiden – Number Of The Beast *
  9. KISS Creatures Of The Night
  10. Magnum Chase The Dragon
  11. The Michael Schenker Group Assault Attack
  12. Michael Stanley Band MSB
  13. Motley Crue Too Fast For Love
  14. Neal Schon and Jan Hammer Here to Stay
  15. Night Ranger Dawn Patrol *
  16. Aldo Nova Aldo Nova
  17. Queen Hot Space
  18. REO Speedwagon Good Trouble
  19. Rainbow Straight Between the Eyes
  20. Shooting Star – 3 Wishes
  21. Spys – s/t
  22. Survivor Eye of the Tiger *
  23. TNT TNT
  24. Toto Toto IV *
  25. Triumph Never Surrender
  26. Uriah Heep - Abominog
  27. Whitesnake Saints and Sinners
  28. Y and T Black Tiger

I dearly love those 5 albums......and for those of you that have not heard Eye of the Tiger album, 'that' song is probably the worst track.....killer album.

Then you have arguably the best west coast album of all time - Toto - IV

Arguably the greatest metal album of all time - Number of The Beast

Arguably Night Ranger's best album

and Asia's finest moment - the classic AOR debut.

Ye Gods...............

Totally love how you added 707's "Megaforce" and Shooting Stars "3 Wishes," couple of my favorite albums. On another list was Headpins "Turn it Loud," another real gem. Their next one though, in '83, "Line of Fire," is fantastic!  

• Like 1