1983 - Best Albums

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need to rate these to check but for me -

Frontiers > Midnight Madness > Pyromania

at the very least in 1983.

You'd sit across the dinner table and look at me with a straight face and tell me that there are more great songs on 'Midnight Madness' than there are on 'Pyromania???' Don't make me throw my asparagus in your face. ;)

I get that most "AOR nuts" would probably agree with you re-'Frontiers.' But 'Midnight Madness?' Yeah, it's a cool disc, but track for track it's a world away from 'Pyromania,' imo, of course. :)

As for the first great album ever, no need to think too much into it, people. Purely to the individual, what is the first album (in terms of release date) that you personally love? I'd shoot myself if people started answering with cliche rubbish like The Beatles or Zeppelin, unless it's an album you genuinely love personally. :lol: ... if I ever create a thread on the subject. ;)

• My Little Pony

It's an interesting thought - if you're talking about an album being ahead of its time in terms of writing, overall sound, etc. (as well as influencing what came after), then you'll probably find that no two people come up with the same answer :)

Montrose's debut, maybe? (I did think of the first Van Halen album, but then I remembered what a debt it owes to Montrose.) Something by the Beatles? Or Zeppelin?

I agree that Boston's first album is head and shoulders above anything else around at that time (as well as for many years after.)

The Sex Pistols' one and only album? Regardless of whether or not you like punk, there was nothing else to compare it to back in the 70s, and it directly influenced a whole bunch of bands that came afterwards (as well as managing to outrage most of 'the establishment' :)) Could it be considered 'great'?

God help me - 'Bat Out Of Hell', maybe?

No, I wasn't thinking which album had the most influence, rather which album was truly the first great example -- has all the necessary elements -- of a particular genre. I was thinking we should split up genres. One for AOR, Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, and Sleaze. I'll start a thread next week as to not upset some folk. ;}

• My Little Pony

Pyromania and Sirens are not "pop metal" you must be confused with Poison.

Pyromania certainly is. It was the first.

Savatage, definitely not.

As much as I hate to say it but if you're talking breakthrough and 1983 it wasn't pyromania, it was quiet riot's Metal Health.

There are a million bands you can cite as the 'first' but the main point to remember is success. A sound or genre only breaks through once it's a commercial success and metal health was the one... imo.

Of course there are a million bands in the 70s and you can never look past the best one ever.... Queen!

You guys are all getting crazy. My simple question is just, in your collection, and according to you, what is the first truly great album ever recorded, date-wise?

The Quiet Riot album is a decent hard rock album, but would anyone on this entire forum actually consider that a truly great CD? I doubt it.

• 3 weeks later...

AC//DC - Flick of the Switch

Axe - Nemesis

Def Leppard - Pyromania

Dio - Holy Diver

Fastway - S/T

Helix - No Rest For The Wicked

Krokus - Headhunter

Loverboy - Keep It Up

Motley Crue - Shout at the Devil

Quiet Riot - Metal Health

Y & T - Mean Streak

That's a damn fine list right there. I'd only add Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind (my number one of the year).

One of my absolute favorite years of all-time for music. I'll post my top-ten from 1983 another time after I give it serious consideration. It will actually be a bit difficult to whittle down to just ten.

My freshman into sophomore year of high school, and boy did I buy a LOT of cassette tapes that year. And, luckily, saw a TON of live shows here in Portland, Oregon (and the short time I lived in San Diego), including Def Leppard, Motley Crue, Ozzy, Quiet Riot, Iron Maiden, Night Ranger, Black N' Blue and too many more to list right now. Thankfully I still have the majority of my original ticket stubs, so I probably could post them all if put to the test :)

• 2 months later...

Had another listen to some 1983 albums ... and came up with:

Def Leppard: Pyromania

Iron Maiden: Piece Of Mind

Ozzy Osbourne: Bark At The Moon

Mercyful Fate: Melissa

Motley Crue: Shout At The Devil

Thin Lizzy: Thunder & Lightning

Satan: Court In The Act

Blue Oyster Cult: The Revolution By Night

Heavy Pettin: Lettin’ Loose

MSG: Built To Destroy

Twisted Sister: You Can't Stop Rock 'n' Roll

Orphan: Lonely At Night

Bryan Adams: Cuts Like A Knife

Marillion: Script For A Jester's Tear

Headpins: Line Of Fire

.... that's it, I'm not changing it again ... :)

• My Little Pony

Had another listen to some 1983 albums ... and came up with:

Headpins: Line Of Fire

My one complaint from the Headpins show last Saturday was they didn't play "Mine, All Mine." I love that song!

• 1 month later...

My Top 6 best of 1983 (in alphabetical order)

Def Leppard - Pyromania
Dio - Holy Diver
Iron Maiden - Piece Of Mind
Kiss - Lick It Up
Marillion - Script For A Jester's Tear
Y & T - Mean Streak

Not many to choose from in my collection for 1983, so I could only manage a Top 5, as I didn't want to pad out the list with anything that only received an average rating from me. However, I'll have a read through these threads later on to see what else people like that I don't have.

EDIT: Changed this to a Top 6 list by adding Def Leppard which I had listed against 1984 by mistake.

My Top 5 best of 1983 (in alphabetical order)

Dio - Holy Diver

Iron Maiden - Piece Of Mind

Kiss - Lick It Up

Marillion - Script For A Jester's Tear

Y & T - Mean Streak

Not many to choose from in my collection for 1983, so I could only manage a Top 5, as I didn't want to pad out the list with anything that only received an average rating from me. However, I'll have a read through these threads later on to see what else people like that I don't have.

Nice to see some love for Script. Remains one of my fav albums.

At the moment it looks like this for me;

1. Def Leppard - Pyromania - 86

2. I-Ten - Taking A Cold Look - 77

3. Stan Bush - Stan Bush - 76

4. Charlie - Charlie - 74

5. Dokken - Breaking The Chains - 71

6. Eric Martin - Sucker For A Pretty Face - 71

7. Heavy Pettin' - Lettin' Loose - 70

8. Journey - Frontiers - 68

9. Grand Prix - Samuri - 62

10. Lita Ford - Out For Blood - 59

11. 220 Volt - 220 Volt - 42

• 1 year later...

Just tying up the last of the "insignificant years" as 1984 is where it all starts for me. Although, as I have noted before, 'Pyromania' is probably the first really great album ever released ,imo;

1. Def Leppard - Pyromania - 86
2. Rick Springfield - Living In Oz - 80
3. Motley Crue - Shout At The Devil - 80
4. Aldo Nova - Subject - 78
5. Night Ranger - Midnight Madness - 78
6. I-Ten - Taking A Cold Look - 77
7. Stan Bush - Stan Bush - 76
8. Ratt - Ratt - 74
9. Steeler - Steeler - 74
10. Charlie - Charlie - 74
11. KISS - Lick It Up - 73
12. Loverboy - Keep It Up - 72
13. Dokken - Breaking The Chains - 71
14. Eric Martin - Sucker For A Pretty Face - 71
15. Ozzy Osbourne - Bark At The Moon - 71
16. Heavy Pettin' - Lettin' Loose - 70
17. Survivor - Caught In The Game - 70
18. Quiet Riot - Metal Health - 68
19. Quarterflash - Take Another Picture - 68
20. Journey - Frontiers - 68
21. Stryper - The Roxx Regime Demos - 68
22. Grand Prix - Samuri - 62
23. Lita Ford - Out For Blood - 59
24. Sinner - Fast Decision - 48
25. Zebra - Zebra - 44
26. 220 Volt - 220 Volt - 42
27. Chameleon - Balance - 25

lol, you take the time rate shite like Chameleon, but not classic AOR like Sir Michael or Wildlife (I prefer this to most FM)??

Get a grip man.

Def Lepp at 86% as well?? Mmmm. I like the album but the best song by a mile is Photograph and that's prob a 9/10??

All this going to prove (80-83) that people should definitely not be allowed to give albums any kind of markings/% as they have obviously gone completely bat shit crazy ;)

lol, you take the time rate shite like Chameleon, but not classic AOR like Sir Michael or Wildlife (I prefer this to most FM)??

Get a grip man.

Def Lepp at 86% as well?? Mmmm. I like the album but the best song by a mile is Photograph and that's prob a 9/10??

Like I said, mate, can only rate what I have. I don't own the Wildlife album though I would accept it's donation - MP3 is fine. And who on earth is Sir Michael? Jackson?

And FYI, 'Too late for love,' 'Foolin' and 'Comin' under fire' (as well as 'Photograph') are all easily over 9/10... imo, of course.

Get a grip man.

Like I said, mate, can only rate what I have. I don't own the Wildlife album though I would accept it's donation - MP3 is fine. And who on earth is Sir Michael? Jackson?

And FYI, 'Too late for love,' 'Foolin' and 'Comin' under fire' (as well as 'Photograph') are all easily over 9/10... imo, of course.

haha, Thriller is a good album after all......Bolton of course. Both his early albums plus The Hunger are excellent albums in my book.

Wildlife is an interesting album - the production is terrible (you'd hate it lol) - but I prefer the songs to most FM actually. I saw them live in this guise as well - brilliant they were - raw energy back in the day.

I have absolutely no idea how to get MP3s across to anyone :(

Ah, see there's another one. I did own the Michael Bolton CD for a long time, and liked it a lot, but I ended up trading it because it was highly sought after by my trading partner at the time, and the stuff I got in return for that was far rarer and harder to get than that was... though I never really saw it after that, I guess.

That's one that'd be filed away in the CDRs to be rated. Maybe I'll comb through them all one day and select the ones I have good memories of. I should really get those MP3s though...

Each to their own I say. Sure I think it's stoopid that Geoff doesn't get the stuff from 84 and older, and that he doesn't like non-english vox and so on but in the end we're all different.

I for one enjoy his little early 80s lists, a nice quick read coz I sure as shit ain't gonna be reading the modern rock ones!