1983 - Best Albums

• My Little Pony
Def Leppard's Pyromania was one of the first albums to help solidify my love for Pop Metal. I'm interested to know what else I need.

KIX - Cool Kids

Europe - Europe

Genesis - Genesis

Night Ranger - Midnight Madness

Helix - No Rest for the Wicked

Saxon - Power & the Glory

Def Leppard - Pyromania

Savatage - Sirens

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My essentials (in alphabetical order)

Asia - Alpha

Michael Bolton - s/t

stan Bush - s/t

Def Lep - Pyromania

dio - Holy Diver

Dokken - breaking the Chains

Eric Martin - Sucker

I-Ten - Taking a Cold Look

Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind

Journey - Frontiers

Marillion - Script

Aldo Nova - Subject

Ozzy Osbourne - Bark

preview - s/t

Shy - Once Bitten

Survivor - Caught in the Game

Thin Lizzy - Thunder

Wildlife -s/t

Y & T - Mean Streak

Amazing year!!

Not so much for me. Waysted -Vices always stood out to me as an amazing album.

Alaska The Pack

Alcatrazz No Parole From Rock 'N Roll

Def Leppard Pyromania

Dio Holy Diver

Fastway Fastway

The Joe Perry Project Once A Rocker, Always A Rocker

Kix Cool Kids

Motley Crue Shout At The Devil

Twisted Sister You Can't Stop Rock 'N' Roll

Van Halen 1984

Waysted Vices

Y and T Mean Streak

Yes 90125

ZZ Top Eliminator

Zebra Zebra

I think this will be a pretty average year for me (all starts in 1984 for this guy) but we'll see how I go. So far I only have these rated... not sure if I'll even ave a big list for this year:

1. Charlie - Charlie - 74

2. Eric Martin - Sucker For A Pretty Face - 71
3. Grand Prix - Samuri - 62
4. Lita Ford - Out For Blood - 59
5. 220 Volt - 220 Volt - 42

Van Halen -1984 is my pick

It was release in December 1983 here in Canada.

Def Leppard - Pyromania is a close second

Here ya go kiddo. Classic after classic

Aldo Nova - Subject

Orphan - Lonely At Night

Storm - Storm II

Michael Bolton - S/T

Spys - Behind Enemy Lines

Arcangel - S/T

Loverboy - Keep It Up

Journey - Frontiers

Rick Springfield - Living In Oz

Marillion - Script For A Jesters Tear

Toronto - Girls Night Out

Wildlife - S/T

Zebra - S/T

Def Leppard - Pyromania

Blackfoot - Siogo

Wrabit - West Side Kid

Survivor - Caught In The Game

Demon - The Plague

Saga - Heads Or Tales

Lisa Price - Priceless

Eric Martin Band - Sucker For A Pretty Face

Cobra - First Strike

.38 Special -Tour De Force

Coney Hatch - Outa Hand

Preview - S/T

HYTS - S/T

i-Ten - Taking A Cold Look

Billy Idol - Rebel Yell

Kansas - Drastic Measures

Le Roux - So Fired Up

ZZ Top - Eliminator

Bryan Adams - Cuts Like a Knife

Axe - Nemesis

Metallica - Kill'Em All

Raven - All For One

Motley Crue - Shout at the Devil

Def Leppard - Pyromania

Accept - Balls to the Wall

Dio - Holy Diver

Black Sabbath - Born Again

KISS - Lick It Up

Twisted Sister - You Can't Stop Rock N Roll

Off the top of my head, and in no particular order, some standouts from 1983 are:

Def Leppard: Pyromania

Iron Maiden: Piece Of Mind

Ozzy Osbourne: Bark At The Moon

Mercyful Fate: Melissa

Motley Crue: Shout At The Devil

Thin Lizzy: Thunder & Lightning

Y&T: Mean Streak

Blue Oyster Cult: The Revolution By Night

Toyah: Love Is The Law

The Police: Synchronicity

Twisted Sister: You Can't Stop Rock 'n' Roll

ZZ Top: Eliminator

Bryan Adams: Cuts Like A Knife

Marillion: Script For A Jester's Tear

Def Leppard - Pyromania

KISS - Lick It Up

Off the top of my head, they're the only decent releases I can think of from this year. I don't think Motley Crue and KISS would crack 80% for me... probably not even close. But Pyromania would crucify this entire year by probably about a 20% margin to album number two, in my opinion. Leagues upon league ahead of anything else mentioned in this thread, imo.

Just looked further up and noticed Journey's 'Frontiers' - that would actually be in the top 10 of this year! :lol:

Def Leppard - Pyromania

KISS - Lick It Up

Off the top of my head, they're the only decent releases I can think of from this year. I don't think Motley Crue and KISS would crack 80% for me... probably not even close. But Pyromania would crucify this entire year by probably about a 20% margin to album number two, in my opinion. Leagues upon league ahead of anything else mentioned in this thread, imo.

Just looked further up and noticed Journey's 'Frontiers' - that would actually be in the top 10 of this year! :lol:

and rightly so because aside from one or 2 weaker moments on the second half the album is fucking awesome.

And has a production to die for despite being released in 1983 ;-)

Def Leppard - Pyromania

KISS - Lick It Up

and rightly so because aside from one or 2 weaker moments on the second half the album is fucking awesome.

I do remember the first half being far better than the second. I was actually pretty impressed with some of the stuff on the album, but compared to it's peers, it was really quite great for it's time of release.

I've never really considered 'Pyromania' against it's peers from the same year either, and seeing that in writing just blows my mind. It's like they recorded an album from the future compared to what the rest of their peers were doing at the time. Really brings a new dimension to my appreciation for how influential and groundbreaking they actually were. For some reason, I always thought the album was released in 1984... :lol:

• My Little Pony

Def Leppard - Pyromania

KISS - Lick It Up

I do remember the first half being far better than the second. I was actually pretty impressed with some of the stuff on the album, but compared to it's peers, it was really quite great for it's time of release.

I've never really considered 'Pyromania' against it's peers from the same year either, and seeing that in writing just blows my mind. It's like they recorded an album from the future compared to what the rest of their peers were doing at the time. Really brings a new dimension to my appreciation for how influential and groundbreaking they actually were. For some reason, I always thought the album was released in 1984... :lol:

Yeah, me, too. I'm always surprised to see it's 1983. If it was released in '84, it would make sense. It's just one year, but it makes all the difference.

Another great one! My favorite lp from S. America, one great from the Dutch metal masters, favorite Rainbow, 2nd favorite from Anvil, some of my nwobhm favorites (with my all time favorite track from that era), young maestro, 2 of my favorite Europe tracks, the debut of a killer French band, etc...

825.jpg

5502.jpg

BLACKFOOT_SIOGO.JPG

36770.jpeg

4182.jpg?0409

4345.jpg

9406.jpg

JOURNEY13.JPG

MOORE14.JPG

MSG3.JPG

QUEENSRYCHE_Q.JPG

32023.jpg?0720

5196.jpg

4167.jpg

EUROPE1.JPG

43389.jpg?1635

11669.jpg

10650.jpg

1410.jpg?2331

1906.jpg

25139.jpg

4869.jpg?1552

1303.jpg

4192.jpg?0213

455.jpg?2630

2907.jpg?3316

310.jpg

12163.jpg?4023

3804.jpg

3042.jpg?3834

38116.jpg

1406.jpg

4161.jpg

4256.jpg

1492.jpg

Ha ha, you know I never realised that 1984 was released in 1983 !

This has been debated for awhile.

Some say the release date was 1/9/84..... actually Amazon and Wiki both have that date.

But I am looking at my original cassette of 1984 right now and it says 1983 Warner Bros. Records.

So I am also confused.

edit: more debate here: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=525078

Actually I think it was released Jan 1984.

It's know to be a 1983 release

Actually I think it was released Jan 1984.

It's know to be a 1983 release

The cd I have says 1983.

Off the top of my head, and in no particular order, some standouts from 1983 are:

Def Leppard: Pyromania

Iron Maiden: Piece Of Mind

Ozzy Osbourne: Bark At The Moon

Mercyful Fate: Melissa

Motley Crue: Shout At The Devil

Thin Lizzy: Thunder & Lightning

Y&T: Mean Streak

Blue Oyster Cult: The Revolution By Night

Toyah: Love Is The Law

The Police: Synchronicity

Twisted Sister: You Can't Stop Rock 'n' Roll

ZZ Top: Eliminator

Bryan Adams: Cuts Like A Knife

Marillion: Script For A Jester's Tear

Thank you, kourosofsteel3 - I'd forgotten about MSG's 'Built To Destroy' and Satan's 'Court In The Act' ...

Def Leppard - Pyromania

KISS - Lick It Up

Yeah, me, too. I'm always surprised to see it's 1983. If it was released in '84, it would make sense. It's just one year, but it makes all the difference.

Yeah, it's kind of like Def Leppard actually released the first great album of all time. :lol: imo, of course. I :lol: but I feel like it might actually be a fact for me.

That'd be an interesting idea for another thread - what everyone believes is the first truly great album ever released? I think I have mine sorted. ;)

Def Leppard - Pyromania

KISS - Lick It Up

Yeah, it's kind of like Def Leppard actually released the first great album of all time. :lol: imo, of course. I :lol: but I feel like it might actually be a fact for me.

That'd be an interesting idea for another thread - what everyone believes is the first truly great album ever released? I think I have mine sorted. ;)

imo it was :

Boston - s/t - 1976

I truly excellent AOR album and at least 5 years ahead of its time imo....there was probably nothing to properly compare to it until 1981.

• My Little Pony

Def Leppard - Pyromania

KISS - Lick It Up

imo it was :

Boston - s/t - 1976

I truly excellent AOR album and at least 5 years ahead of its time imo....there was probably nothing to properly compare to it until 1981.

Are we talking our genre, or just first greatest album of all genres?

It's an interesting thought - if you're talking about an album being ahead of its time in terms of writing, overall sound, etc. (as well as influencing what came after), then you'll probably find that no two people come up with the same answer :)

Montrose's debut, maybe? (I did think of the first Van Halen album, but then I remembered what a debt it owes to Montrose.) Something by the Beatles? Or Zeppelin?

I agree that Boston's first album is head and shoulders above anything else around at that time (as well as for many years after.)

The Sex Pistols' one and only album? Regardless of whether or not you like punk, there was nothing else to compare it to back in the 70s, and it directly influenced a whole bunch of bands that came afterwards (as well as managing to outrage most of 'the establishment' :)) Could it be considered 'great'?

God help me - 'Bat Out Of Hell', maybe?