1990 - best albums

Glen

Nightrain, how do you rate Spread Eagle. Considering you obviously have a love for the gunners and gave skid row debut 100 this should surely be one of your favourites? Playing it today and as usual it blew me away!

'Back on the bitch' and 'Through these eyes' are two all-time classics. :wub:

I honestly cannot remember much about that album........must be 20 years since I listened to it.

I seem to remember it starting out strong but tailing off ??

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nightrain, how do you rate Spread Eagle. Considering you obviously have a love for the gunners and gave skid row debut 100 this should surely be one of your favourites? Playing it today and as usual it blew me away!

'Back on the bitch' and 'Through these eyes' are two all-time classics. :wub:

I honestly cannot remember much about that album........must be 20 years since I listened to it.

I seem to remember it starting out strong but tailing off ??

Yeah, I don't think that overall it'd rate too well but I do love those two songs. It's definitely a cut above their 2nd disc, that's for sure.

• My Little Pony

Really like that Electric Angels disc

Hmm. I only have their unreleased album, and I don't necessarily love it. Should I track down the debut?

Really like that Electric Angels disc

Hmm. I only have their unreleased album, and I don't necessarily love it. Should I track down the debut?

I need to dig it out and have a listen - remember it being good but not listened in an age

Well I'm intrigued with Electric Angels, i probably have heard it 2-3 times but haven't spin it since, i'm assuming it's decent but my two homework will be to investigate Spread Eagle and that :)

Looked on the main pages and apparently I've heard the Electric Angels disc, but can't for the life of my think what it's like. I'm assuming it was MP3's or a CDR I heard, as I definitely don't own the CD. I'll need to seek this one out, I think, out of curiosity.

Just checked out these two discs today :

SPREAD EAGLE - s/t - 82.3%

ELECTRIC ANGELS - s/t - 80%

Spread Eagle is clearly a poor man's Skid Row and couple of three songs are influenced (or probably ripped) GNR's Appetite.

I like someone's description on the mainpage, if Skid Row is East Coast's answer to GNR then Spread Eagle is LA Guns :)

Electric Angels is more of Quireboys rock n roll style, enjoyable album although plodded with 3-4 weaker tracks, not sure if you enjoy it Geoff but I guess it's worth checking out

That's pretty low for spread eagle, probably what I would score it but I would struggle to score my favourite cds more than 90, am just more harsh!

Skid Row debut was so slick and well produced. I guess calling it a poor man's version is right but that's what makes it better. It's edgy, aggressive and dangerous... Skid row wanted to be ;)

Oh hell, BLUE TEARS is probably my favorite from 1990 even if I didn't discover it until sometime later that decade.

Just an awesome collection of super-catchy, hook-laden tunes that were stolen from the cassette recorder Jon Bon Jovi and Richie Sambora used to record their jam session with Joe Elliott and Phil Collen one late 1987 evening when the two bands happened upon the same hotel in the same town while criss-crossing the USA in support of Slippery When Wet and Hysteria.

Yep, I easily love it that much!

Oh hell, BLUE TEARS is probably my favorite from 1990 even if I didn't discover it until sometime later that decade.

Just an awesome collection of super-catchy, hook-laden tunes that were stolen from the cassette recorder Jon Bon Jovi and Richie Sambora used to record their jam session with Joe Elliott and Phil Collen one late 1987 evening when the two bands happened upon the same hotel in the same town while criss-crossing the USA in support of Slippery When Wet and Hysteria.

Good call bro, probably fall around 85% but still a great disc as I recall.

So 'Big Game' is better than Blue Tears now? Stop it, man. Stop it! :lol:

Blue Tears is my most highly rated melodic rock / AOR / glam album so far, coming in at 96%. Yeah, for me that's just what music is about. Absolutely love that disc.

I started 1990 even though I far from finished 1989. Damn I love a lot of these releases. But I am having a ton of trouble finding a 90+ disc. This is ludicrous to me. I loved these releases back in the day. I am having trouble wrapping my head around this.

Blue Tears is my most highly rated melodic rock / AOR / glam album so far, coming in at 96%. Yeah, for me that's just what music is about. Absolutely love that disc.

96% for Blue Tears??? ....... Wow...... I love it but not that damn much......

I gave it a 84% which is pretty respectful for a solid year in music.

Blue Tears at 96% ? what beer are you drinking man ? whatever brand it is, you better change it asap :D

Blue Tears at 96% ? what beer are you drinking man ? whatever brand it is, you better change it asap :D

Home brew at the moment, and I have about 120 more bottles in the garage, so I will not be changing anytime soon. ;) And what on earth are you heckling people about high ratings for??!!! ;)

I know no one else would rate this album that high but this one has a real special place for me. Before I delved deeper in the scene, Bon Jovi and Def Leppard were two of my favourite bands, and I agree with Gener8tr (what's the extra "t" there for, man?) in that this is the perfect mix of the two and when I heard it for the first time I actually thought Jesus killed me and brought me to Heaven.

So there's no denying it's just musically perfect to me - hooks like no one's business, and even the weakest song - 'Crush' - when I heard it again I just couldn't rate it low because the chorus is too huge; hooks too majestic. I just loved everything about the hooks on this disc. But the main reason it scored so high for me, of course, is the lyrics. I still get chills down my spine from 'Blue Tears' and 'Innocent Kiss' every time without a doubt. And at least 3 or 4 other songs give me chills on and off too.

If you asked me what my perfect subject matter for a melodic rock CD could be, lyrically, it would be this album. It's sentimental, real songs about these guys growing up and their life experiences. It always makes me think of my youth and summer holidays, and being young and the good and the bad times... it's just pure awesome to me. It just takes me to where I want an album to take me.

RIP. glad I saw them.

Good album for sure...not sure I'd reach 96% but its a goodie.

I reckon there will be few in this year which will hit 90%

Extreme's Ponrnografitti in second (although this one did not age well)

Whaaaaat?? You're killing me, Smalls...

But I think I know what you're talking about. I admit, I probably spin III Sides more.

This is by far the best release listed, still listen to this one to this day. One of the best discs ever produced seen them live in concert on this tour Nuno is a God on guitar.