1989 - best albums

Glen

new ratings today

#45 - GREAT WHITE - Twice Shy - 85%

#57 - STEVE LUKATHER - Lukather - 83.7% (better than I thought)

#60 - BLACK SABBATH - Headless Cross - 83.2%

#79 - MORTAL SIN - Face of Despair - 78.3%

#96 - BLUE MURDER - s/t - 71.6%

Haha luckily JamesEagle isn't around anymore, that's his #1 album

and yeah I never get to like it much except for a few songs

I love John Sykes and his vocal but definitely prefer WHITESNAKE 1987 songwise which is quite similar but more melodic, consistent, and fun :D

Yeah, he's close to spot on. Here's what I did:

Blue Murder - 74%

Nothin' But Trouble - 73%

I actually quite like the sound and style of the discs and think they're adequate ratings. There just aren't the truly great songs on either disc to lift it any higher than that. I would have been slightly surprised by how close the follow-up rates to the debut, but in hearing them back to back, I wasn't as surprised.

The Bad English disc is very frustrating too. Without 'Ready When You Are,' 'Lay Down' and 'Rocking Horse' it's an easy 90%+ disc. With those 3 scraps of shit the score of this album is dragged to a place where one part of me feels like it doesn't belong, and the other part of me thinks... well, dudes, it's your fault. Why'd you put these 3 pieces of shit on such a masterpiece?

That comment is a bit harsh on 'Ready When You Are'....I actually really like that song and Schon's solo is rocking. The other 2 are poor though, but luckily I dropped one to rate the best 12 only.

My 3 absolute favs off this disc are 'When I See You Smile', 'Restless Ones' and 'Price of Love'.....all 3 are brilliant tracks and Price of Love really resonated with me lyrically now I'm a bit older and been married 10 years.

Also just a shout out to the production on this - great stuff and a challenger for best job of 1989.

I have 5 faves I can't separate, and they would be 'Forget me not, 'Tough times don't last,' 'Ghost in your heart' (my favourite of the bunch), 'Restless ones' and 'Don't walk away.' By christ I love those songs.

And yeah, 'Ready when you are' is just a slab of pure nothingness to me.

I have 5 faves I can't separate, and they would be 'Forget me not, 'Tough times don't last,' 'Ghost in your heart' (my favourite of the bunch), 'Restless ones' and 'Don't walk away.' By christ I love those songs.

Ha, as I was listening to 'Dont Walk Away' I thought to myself, I bet Geoff loves this song!

Its a good ballad, but a bit simplistic for me........a nice mellow end to the album though.

Ha, as I was listening to 'Dont Walk Away' I thought to myself, I bet Geoff loves this song!

Its a good ballad, but a bit simplistic for me........a nice mellow end to the album though.

Yeah, I dunno, it's just one of those songs that got me immediately and has never, ever left. Waite's voice, his vocal delivery in those really hooky verses and then that simple, but (to me) perfectly delivered chorus. Yeah... that's a piece of art to me, that song. Pure and simple.

Yeah, I dunno, it's just one of those songs that got me immediately and has never, ever left. Waite's voice, his vocal delivery in those really hooky verses and then that simple, but (to me) perfectly delivered chorus. Yeah... that's a piece of art to me, that song. Pure and simple.

Love the album. 'Tough Times Dont Last' is my pick of the bunch. Excellent song.

• My Little Pony

Love the album. 'Tough Times Dont Last' is my pick of the bunch. Excellent song.

"Tough Times Don't Last" used to be my favourite, but now it's a toss up between "The Restless Ones" and "Don't Walk Away."

• My Little Pony

Oh, and there's not a damn thing wrong with "Rockin' Horse." That song gets massive in the choruses. Especially near the end.

Deary me, biggest 'disappointment' of the rating process so far. I sat down with the Dalton - Injection disc thinking it was a defo contender for top 10. Man was I wrong. This disc has not aged well, and the production was a pile of shite...honestly the snare drum sounds like a cymbal !

Anyway I still really like the song 'Love Injection' and there are 3 quality rockers in the middle part of the album which held the score up, but man there were some fillers....in particular 'Heart Broken'....that song is pretty lame, almost embarrassing. I gave that song a 4/10 out of kindness.

The last song made me laugh too - with chorus lyrics 'I'll wake you up, when it's time to make love'.....that's just wrong innit?? I'll try that on the wife next time and wait for the volley of abuse lol.......

'Heartbroken' at 4/10 is a bit harsh man, musically it's still good and I still gave that a 7.75 and the whole score for this album is 80%. Way down below but still worth to keep :)

well the lyric is probably meant for newly wed or for those who's started dating :D

• My Little Pony

The last song made me laugh too - with chorus lyrics 'I'll wake you up, when it's time to make love'.....that's just wrong innit?? I'll try that on the wife next time and wait for the volley of abuse lol.......

well the lyric is probably meant for newly wed or for those who's started dating :D

I always assumed it was referring to an elderly couple taking an afternoon nap to rest up before.

I remember referring to that lyric in a thread on this very forum an age ago. Haha, I love that shit. It's hilarious. I will actually get around to rating Dalton's albums in the next two weeks, I believe. Will see how I go. I can imagine 'Heart broken' won't go too well for me, but definitely not as low as 4/10, lol.

or for those who's started dating :D

Me currently. :tits:

alright man :D

I always assumed it was referring to an elderly couple taking an afternoon nap to rest up before.

now that's probably right :D

With regard to 'Heart broken,' it's the trumpety kind of keys that kill it a bit. And the fact that the dude's voice is not very strong, highlighted particularly in the ballads. But I still don't mind the tune. The harmony vocals in the chorus are its biggest saviour, lol.

new ratings :

HARLOT - Room With A View - 84.3%

SARAYA - s/t - 79.2%

SHOTGUN MESSIAH - s/t - 77%

AFTER HOURS - s/t - 75.5%

HEAVEN (NOR) - Take Me Back - 73.8%

MARSHALL LAW - s/t - 73.2%

Yeah, what Geoff said. That shotgun Messiah album is a classic. Cmon Nightrain, charge that hearing aid!

Haha classic is maybe what you 'used' to think, but try it out again today and you can hear some patchy songs. Overall a 77% reflects a good album but not great. Guitarist is a killer, no doubt, but songwise not so consistent :D