1989 - best albums

Glen

I still remember my deep disappointment when Big Game came out. The weakest of their albums , though I loved 'If my mind is evil'. The world just didn't need another cover of radar love.

Yeah, it's a terrible album. It was actually my first brush with White Lion, and really gave me a bad view on them. I always loved 'Little Fighter' and 'Living on the edge.' They're excellent songs, but even the sound/style and production of the good songs make them sound worse than their other stuff.

Anyway, how Mr Nightrain manages to hand out 9's for the rest of the garbage on that CD... wow. I'd love to see a detailed review of the album, if you have one, Mr Nightrain. How on earth did you reach that score for such a horrid disc?

I was incredibly disappointed with big game when it came out because I loved and played pride so much leading up to its release.

After pride how could they write and lead off the new album with goin home tonight? Then after the monster little fighter have a track like broken home. Then there's baby be mine. I was heartbroken, would skip those tracks all the time.

Funny thing is age does weird things to you. I must have managed to hear them enough that I now don't mind them at all and think this is a great disc, probably their second best.

No one's talked about cry for freedom. For me probably their best song. Great mood, vibe and build up. Love it!

Agree Geoff, production is not great but I think that's what helped make white lion's sound. Pride was pretty bad, as was fight to survive. Probably got it right for mane attraction but for some reason that album never sat with me as well as the predecessors.

Shame we never got more music out of vito!

No probably about it, they definitely got it right with 'Mane Attraction.' That is one of my favourite sounding albums from the era. I agree that the debut was crud sounding, and 'Pride' wasn't great either, but when you have songs like that it's hard to argue. The problem with 'Big Game' is that a bad production was only made to sound worse by the bad songs on it. Just such a thin, thin sound...

Jeezers Christ, mate! To each their own, but far out man, they are some serious high ratings.

Every song on Skid Row's debut perfect? Wow, do we disagree there!! ;) I rated it 85% and had to be generous on a few tracks to give it the score I felt it deserved. Great album, but perfect? Yowser...

Anyway, ratings aside (because for the most part they're at very least 10% higher than what I'd give them), a few things that stand out:

You like Fahrenheit that much??? Better than Vain? PBF, FM, Melidian, DaVinci, Treat etc etc. You honestly think that disc is better than all those classics? Wow.

Anyway, to each their own and I obviously disagree with the majority of what is there, as you will with my list, but two albums that really shock me are Mr Big's debut and White Lion's 'Big Game.' Two very weak albums, imo, that would be very, very low on my list, and not close to most those classics.

Anyway, cool list, mate. Interesting read.

Firstly @ Nightrain.....yeah very cool list and amazed how you knocked that out so quickly (Im about one third done, so will be a few more weeks before I post my final list).................BUT

Have to agree with Geoff here. That Skid Row rating is a bit weird.

Dont get me wrong here, because it ranked very highly with me too, and its a great album, but how can it be 100% perfect with tracks like 'Piece of Me', 'Rattlesnake Shake' and 'Here I am' - 3 very good rockers but hardly 10/10 song material?? You question 'The Threat' on Slave, but its better than all 3 of those?? Or am I missing something??

Geoff has singled out Mr Big and White Lion, and to a degree I'd agree (esp about White Lion), but Tesla is also puzzling me. Am I the only one that thinks that album is a bit hit and miss. For sure its got some great tracks like 'Hang Tough', 'Love Song', 'Flight To Nowhere' etc, but I found myself really struggling through tracks like 'Heaven's Trail', 'Lazy Days', and a lot of tracks panned out around 8-8.5. I was quite surprised as in my mind a had it down as a classic, but hey it aint all that.....I'm not absolutely happy with my rating and I might need to re-visit but its currently around 82%.

Also LA Guns as good as Giant. Wowser with a capital W. Ive got at least 15% between those 2 and that was being pretty kind to LA Guns ;-)

@ Geoff........you included Melidian as a classic. You might be surprised when you rate that.......bookended by 2 pretty average tracks which heavily distorts the rating on a 9 track album. Most other songs were consistently good, but again could only manage 83%. The only truly world class song on that album is 'Livin Under the Gun' which I scored a 9.75.

Anyways, massive effort Nightrain, and yeah I bet it was fun re-visiting all those discs. One thing is for sure (no matter who rates what what) is that 1989 was a pretty killer year for our genre(s).

Jeezers Christ, mate! To each their own, but far out man, they are some serious high ratings.

Every song on Skid Row's debut perfect? Wow, do we disagree there!! ;) I rated it 85% and had to be generous on a few tracks to give it the score I felt it deserved. Great album, but perfect? Yowser...

Anyway, ratings aside (because for the most part they're at very least 10% higher than what I'd give them), a few things that stand out:

You like Fahrenheit that much??? Better than Vain? PBF, FM, Melidian, DaVinci, Treat etc etc. You honestly think that disc is better than all those classics? Wow.

Anyway, to each their own and I obviously disagree with the majority of what is there, as you will with my list, but two albums that really shock me are Mr Big's debut and White Lion's 'Big Game.' Two very weak albums, imo, that would be very, very low on my list, and not close to most those classics.

If we all like the same things, then the world will be a boring place, right ? :)

Now, about SKID ROW's debut, to me every song is a classic and stood the test of time. As a band, they got the skill, got the look, and commercially successful too. The debut album is very nostalgic to me because there are certain albums that you like in the past and spun it hundreds of times, and probably without playing those CDs, you can sing along to the lyric and melodies and even remember the solo. Couple years ago, SKID ROW came to Indonesia to perform the second time with Johnny Solinger and they play the whole debut album and even without Bach, those songs are just fantastic and still good as ever :D

Yes I think FAHRENHEIT is a very enjoyable album and rated better than the rest you mentioned, I don't see a problem with that mate. If you think VAIN and PBF is better than FAHRENHEIT, then probably you haven't meet the persons who rated both albums below 70% or 60%, and beside those are different genre :D

Anyway, IMO it's a wonderful AOR album and very consistent, no fillers in sight, but it's quite light so probably not in the same league as FM, SIGNAL, or DA VINCI, but maybe comparable to OUTFIELD, DRIVE SHE SAID, STAGE DOLLS, MICHAEL MORALES

WHITE LION's Big Game is a fantastic album and it's slightly rated lower than Pride but slightly better than Mane Attraction because I think Mane is too polished and have too many ballads which doesn't really bring the real Vito's playing to the front. However, I love all three :D

The rating of 'Big Game' didn't come instantly in the first or two spins but after many spins throughout the years. I always love Vito Bratta's melodic playing and consider him one of the biggest talents in hair metal realm, shame he quit playin' too soon. This album weaker points are 'Dirty Woman' and 'Broken Home' indeed but 'Dirty' has great verse and riffs and 'Broken Home' still better than many other ballads ever made, a bit too sappy but not bad by any means. The strong point beside the two tracks you mentioned, the anthemic 'Goin Home Tonight' (wonderful riffs and awesome sing-along chorus) and 'Don't Say It's Over' is awesome too. 'Radar Love' is a superior cover and a very interesting song, especially the guitarwork, and 'Cry For Freedom' is also great emotional track.

MR.BIG is maybe an acquired taste, they're huge in Asia, especially in Japan and also in Indonesia. During my teenage years, I've been exposed a lot to their first three albums and one of the reason I maybe rated this album high is that, but I always like skillful musician and Eric Martin is one of my most fave singers out there. Paul Gilbert is unquestionably great and Billy Sheehan bass play is admirable. I admit throughout their entire career, they do have lots of fillers but the debut could be the strongest, I haven't re-rate the second but I think might be close. Songwise, I think 'Merciless', 'Blame It On My Youth', and 'Take A Walk' are the weaker parts but still good (7.5 or 8) and what's not to love about 'Addicted To That Rush', 'Big Love', 'How Can You Do What You Do', 'Anything For You', and 'Rock And Roll Over', they're perfect tunes :)

I was incredibly disappointed with big game when it came out because I loved and played pride so much leading up to its release.

After pride how could they write and lead off the new album with goin home tonight? Then after the monster little fighter have a track like broken home. Then there's baby be mine. I was heartbroken, would skip those tracks all the time.

Funny thing is age does weird things to you. I must have managed to hear them enough that I now don't mind them at all and think this is a great disc, probably their second best.

No one's talked about cry for freedom. For me probably their best song. Great mood, vibe and build up. Love it!

Agree Geoff, production is not great but I think that's what helped make white lion's sound. Pride was pretty bad, as was fight to survive. Probably got it right for mane attraction but for some reason that album never sat with me as well as the predecessors.

Shame we never got more music out of vito!

Hey mate, I wrote the above and haven't read your comment but weird that it's almost the same. Yeah you're right about playing that album again after so many years, maybe we missed Vito too much, or maybe those songs do have their own magic :)

Firstly @ Nightrain.....yeah very cool list and amazed how you knocked that out so quickly (Im about one third done, so will be a few more weeks before I post my final list).................BUT

Have to agree with Geoff here. That Skid Row rating is a bit weird.

Dont get me wrong here, because it ranked very highly with me too, and its a great album, but how can it be 100% perfect with tracks like 'Piece of Me', 'Rattlesnake Shake' and 'Here I am' - 3 very good rockers but hardly 10/10 song material?? You question 'The Threat' on Slave, but its better than all 3 of those?? Or am I missing something??

Geoff has singled out Mr Big and White Lion, and to a degree I'd agree (esp about White Lion), but Tesla is also puzzling me. Am I the only one that thinks that album is a bit hit and miss. For sure its got some great tracks like 'Hang Tough', 'Love Song', 'Flight To Nowhere' etc, but I found myself really struggling through tracks like 'Heaven's Trail', 'Lazy Days', and a lot of tracks panned out around 8-8.5. I was quite surprised as in my mind a had it down as a classic, but hey it aint all that.....I'm not absolutely happy with my rating and I might need to re-visit but its currently around 82%.

Also LA Guns as good as Giant. Wowser with a capital W. Ive got at least 15% between those 2 and that was being pretty kind to LA Guns ;-)

@ Geoff........you included Melidian as a classic. You might be surprised when you rate that.......bookended by 2 pretty average tracks which heavily distorts the rating on a 9 track album. Most other songs were consistently good, but again could only manage 83%. The only truly world class song on that album is 'Livin Under the Gun' which I scored a 9.75.

Anyways, massive effort Nightrain, and yeah I bet it was fun re-visiting all those discs. One thing is for sure (no matter who rates what what) is that 1989 was a pretty killer year for our genre(s).

Hey Glen, SKID ROW's debut got 100% because of the added intangible value, let's call it one of those albums you'll bring when you're stranded on the island

I'll intend to give one perfect score for each year so in a decade, I'll have 10 perfect albums with me :D

Like I said, I haven't re-rate Slave To the Grind, but those 3 tracks you mentioned, yes i love all of that and yes I can give them 10/10 with no problem. Now, 'Slave To The Grind' has the potential to be 1991 winner but I probably think HAREM SCAREM might claim the spot, although I'm predicting at least 90% for Slave and maybe a solid 95%

Now, TESLA's Great Radio Controversy is a 13 tracks album so with my technique, you get to drop 1 weakest track to count the strongest 12 and I did drop 'Lazy Days'. For me, TESLA's great songs are worth a 10, I don't hesitate, like 'Hang Tough', 'Lady Luck', 'Love Song', 'Paradise', but couple of songs I gave a 9 like 'Yesterdaze Gone' and 'Heaven's Trail'. Also remember, our rating technique is a bit different because I also count the factor of musicianship, production, and also replay value.

LA GUNS and GIANT is a different genre but both have around 4 fillers although those tracks I don't mind giving a 7 and not below that. And also LA GUNS have 13 tracks and get to drop 1 filler so that's the better value I guess for 'Cocked and Loaded'.

I'll try to finish the top 100 and I like to count how many albums above 90% and how many below 80%, and the average rating of the top 100, and anyway thanks Glen for bringing this idea, it's very fun to revisit all those albums and get the idea of what albums I can just sell and what albums I'll keep :D

I still remember my deep disappointment when Big Game came out. The weakest of their albums , though I loved 'If my mind is evil'. The world just didn't need another cover of radar love.

hey Pete, oh I think you're very wrong there, 'Radar Love' is far superior compared to Golden Earrings but then it depends on the age I guess :D

anyway, why don't you try rating these albums using the standard technique, just do 2-3 albums per day, it's fun :)

@ Nightrain.....yeah I only rate the top 12 too, so that might prop the score up slightly for Tesla, but not by much. Heavens Trail a 9/10....mmm, I will re-listen to this album at the end, cos as I said I wasnt entirely sure I got it right first time, but that is a weak arsed song imo....i think I gave it a 6 lol!! Just pretty average with no discernable hook.

By the way I too include all those other factors in each song's rate....got to really otherwise the whole score would be flawed.

On a side note, Blame It On My Youth from Mr Big was always one of my favs ;-)

• My Little Pony

Wow... just, wow. So many numbers tossed around, and opinions that claim all other opinions are wrong. It's why I believe rating albums with numbers is the wrong way to go about it. Nobody agrees with anyone on everything. But one thing you boys need to know is both "Heaven's Trail" and "Lazy Days, Crazy Nights" are staples at a Tesla show.

That's why I don't put %'s to albums. I used do it to over on the main pages, but found myself asking the question why? in the end. A completely pointless exercise and a waste of my valuable listening time was my answer. All in alI, I know what albums I prefer, and can tell you (in my opinion) which is better than the other, without having to put points against them. Anyways, to those that have to get so anal about it, carry on ;)

Wow... just, wow. So many numbers tossed around, and opinions that claim all other opinions are wrong. It's why I believe rating albums with numbers is the wrong way to go about it. Nobody agrees with anyone on everything. But one thing you boys need to know is both "Heaven's Trail" and "Lazy Days, Crazy Nights" are staples at a Tesla show.

Yeah, but the whole 'disagreeing' thing is pretty relaxed. Im just interested in what people think about individual albums and what songs they rate off those albums.

If I just stuck mine in 'some' order it would probably be OK, but not accurate. Tesla would have been up there for start, but having re-visited it that would have been way off the mark.

Also I get to re-listen to a load of albums Ive not heard in an age and discuss them on here........its all good with me :-))

That's why I don't put %'s to albums. I used do it to over on the main pages, but found myself asking the question why? in the end. A completely pointless exercise and a waste of my valuable listening time was my answer. All in alI, I know what albums I prefer, and can tell you (in my opinion) which is better than the other, without having to put points against them. Anyways, to those that have to get so anal about it, carry on ;)

:tumbsup:

I loved great radio even tho I still skip some songs. Lots of tracks and some true classics and a lot of diversity.

Agree with nightrain, mane attraction has too many ballads, the epic songs don't come close to lady of the valley or cry for freedom and who wants to hear vito do blues even tho the sentiment is right?

All that said white lion never released a bad cd.

I remember saving most of my pay when I was working/studying and bought a monster amp and speakers. Mane attraction was one of the cds I first listened to on it and the whole family shit itself at the beginning of warmongering. Give it a go, nice and loud ;)

@ Nightrain.....yeah I only rate the top 12 too, so that might prop the score up slightly for Tesla, but not by much. Heavens Trail a 9/10....mmm, I will re-listen to this album at the end, cos as I said I wasnt entirely sure I got it right first time, but that is a weak arsed song imo....i think I gave it a 6 lol!! Just pretty average with no discernable hook.

By the way I too include all those other factors in each song's rate....got to really otherwise the whole score would be flawed.

On a side note, Blame It On My Youth from Mr Big was always one of my favs ;-)

I didn't really dig Heaven's Trail at first but that song is essential in maybe every Tesla's concert and then after a while, you really appreciate it and you can hear the crowd always cheer when they play the intro.

Blame It On My Youth is among the weak songs for me but it's still an 8/10,

but then it makes me wonder, if you like it, then what's the low point on that album for you ? :D

Rating can comes with numbers or simply just stars, but rating has been done since ages ago and not just in music, but also movie, books, hotels, cars, almost everything. It's an interesting matter because we can see how people measure something and see if we have the same taste or not, or sometimes it's important because we have so many music, we might missed something good and this project is an eye-opener I guess :)

I dropped 'Lazy Days' not because it's bad but i consider it's the lowest on the album and i prefer other tracks (it's still an 8 though :)

Haha for me, I see it this way mate. I've been listening to albums for over 20 years (same here for all of us) and throughout these years there are at least 100-150 albums per year, which means there are more than 3000-4000 albums and maybe more in the span of 1975 - 2015 and no way I'll remember every single song on every single album. With this project, I will have the record of every song and I'll have the statistic of my own top 50 or top 100 on every year, and I get to listen to albums that I once missed.

I also once owned around 2.400 CDs but soon I think it's too much and I realized that maybe 30% or more of these are rated below 75% and I only listen to it once or twice a year so instead of piling up CDs, I'll try to sell and squeeze it down slowly to top 50 of every year (or only ratings above 80%) and maybe I'll keep around 1.500 CDs (or 2.000 CDs max) in the end. That means I get to free up room in my cabinet and raise several thousand bucks if a CD averagely priced at $10 and I can spend it to buy the top 30 in the next upcoming years or maybe just spend something on a good vacation :)

And beside you only spend 2-3 seconds to write down a number on each song and you only do it once, not everytime you spin an album, so that's worth the time I guess, and some albums only required the first 2-minutes of it because you still remember it vividly so I can rate couple of albums in the lunch time, and another two after work. Sometimes in the weekend, I have time to spin couple of albums at home and another two in the night before bed so rating 100 albums won't take too much time for me.

A few things

@ Glen - Yeah, in my mind Melidian is a classic but albums surprise me on literally a daily basis – ones I thought were sure 90’s don’t even scrape it. So I won’t be surprised if this is the same, but yeah, in my mind it’s near-flawless. One thing I can say for sure is that I love those last two songs, so I might be okay on this one. ;)

@ Nightrain - some crazy thoughts on White Lion, lol, but to each their own. I guess there's got to be someone with some crazy opinion somewhere in the world. ;) 'Big Game' better than 'Mane Attraction' and only "slightly better" than 'Pride' - I can honestly say that's an opinion I have never heard, nor did I think I would ever hear. We speak of "vibes" on albums. I think that's the main thing I dislike about 'Big Game.' Aside from the bad songs and bad production, it just has a really bad vibe, imo. Just don't like it at all.

As for 'Blame it on my youth,' like Glen, it is actually one of my preferred songs on that Mr Big CD. :lol: AS for the weakest songs on the disc, here's my list - 'Addicted to that rush,' 'Wind me up,' 'Merciless,' 'Take a walk, 'Big Love' and the horrendous '30 days in the hole.' I love 'Anything for you,' 'Had enough,' 'How can you do' and 'Rock n' roll over' and 'Blame it on my youth' is the "bridge track" In the middle of the good and the bad songs. I couldn't see this album topping 60-70% for me, to be totally honest.

I'm not sure how the Tesla one will rate for me, or most their discography. I'll wait and see before I comment too much, but I don't mind 'Heaven's Trail.' I actually always kind of really dug that tune, to be honest. Just a cool groove/swagger, and I like the lyrics too. I think it'd rate pretty good for me. One of the songs I kind of "grew up with," musically.

As for rating albums, like I said in another thread, I really don't care what other people do but I don't see why it's an issue for anyone if a few nerdy guys here like rating their albums. As Glen & Nightrain have noted, it's an awesome way to plow through your collection and hear timeless albums you just haven't had the time to hear for way longer than you should have. And yeah, I think I know what albums I prefer to others but I also don't trust my memory for shit, and I love the idea of having it all catalogued for reference at any time, rather than just making guesses with myself everytime the question comes up.

Basically, I just like having stuff organised and that's the main thing. I just want a complete registry of all the music I have. And it is genuinely fun to me, to go through my entire collection rating stuff. Sure that means I have issues, but I actually really enjoy it and it adds an element of something to look forward to in my working day.

Im intrigued by the Mr Big debut now so that is next on my list.

I like 'Wing Me Up' and 'Big Love' so I reckon it might rate OK with me.....we'll see. Will report further tomorrow.

@ Nightrain - some crazy thoughts on White Lion, lol, but to each their own. I guess there's got to be someone with some crazy opinion somewhere in the world. ;) 'Big Game' better than 'Mane Attraction' and only "slightly better" than 'Pride' - I can honestly say that's an opinion I have never heard, nor did I think I would ever hear. We speak of "vibes" on albums. I think that's the main thing I dislike about 'Big Game.' Aside from the bad songs and bad production, it just has a really bad vibe, imo. Just don't like it at all.

Well if you never heard of that fact before and you only hear it today then praise Jesus you finally learn the truth here, i'm happy for you man, I don't even realize I've been used by God above to open some eyes :D

now seriously, talking about bad songs and bad production, I assume you got rid of this album years ago and haven't spun it since and maybe you play couple of songs out of youtube which is maybe a badly-encoded MP3s. In my opinion, the production is very good but I got a Japanese copy so i'm not sure if it's different than US album, and not too polished like 'Mane' and I suggest you try pickin' up a copy and spin it again, and who knows you can scrap the old note and put a big score on this Big Game mate :)

The three 'famous' fillers here still packed with great verses, and I agree the choruses are patchy but after a while, it got stuck in your head and don't mind em at all oh and love the riffs and solos so that should boost the score a bit, but let's forget those three fillers and say you rate them 6 (which I think should deserve at least 7 or 7.5 for the great verse and riffs), I think the rest are easily a 9 or 10, so I don't see a low rating with this one. Consensus on the main page is 8.3 (35 people) and I'm a fan of Vito so a 9 is reasonable but way below that means you need to explore it further :)

As for 'Blame it on my youth,' like Glen, it is actually one of my preferred songs on that Mr Big CD. :lol: AS for the weakest songs on the disc, here's my list - 'Addicted to that rush,' 'Wind me up,' 'Merciless,' 'Take a walk, 'Big Love' and the horrendous '30 days in the hole.' I love 'Anything for you,' 'Had enough,' 'How can you do' and 'Rock n' roll over' and 'Blame it on my youth' is the "bridge track" In the middle of the good and the bad songs. I couldn't see this album topping 60-70% for me, to be totally honest.

If 'Addicted To That Rush' is weak then you sure have personal hatred towards the band, or maybe towards Van Halen because Paul is heavily influenced by Eddie on this song, and this is one of their biggest singles and a solid 9 or 10 is warranted :D

'Blame' is an 8/10, and I guess 'Wind Me Up' and 'Merciless' got 7.5 from me. 'Take A Walk' maybe 7.75 because of the patchy chorus but the riffs are awesome. 'Big Love' is a great song, at least 8.25 or 8.5 and maybe better if they can improve the chorus. I can understand if you hate '30 days' because you don't like classic rock and it's a Humble Pie cover, but for me, well it fits the album and I think it's a great song and consider it a nice bonus.

Again, if this is only 70% or below, then you're not talking sense mate or maybe you're rating the top songs way too low

Im intrigued by the Mr Big debut now so that is next on my list.

I like 'Wing Me Up' and 'Big Love' so I reckon it might rate OK with me.....we'll see. Will report further tomorrow.

If you like 'Wind Me Up' and 'Big Love' then I think you'll rate this pretty good because the killers are awesome here :)

new ratings today :

#30 - WHITESNAKE - Slip of The Tongue - 88%

#70 - LEATHERWOLF - Street Ready - 78%

#89 - ALEXA - s/t - 70%

Wow, that leatherwolf is waaaay say to low! Killer album. It destroys skid row, Mr. Big etc. Shattered you've rated it so low. It's a perfect blend of hard rock and metal.

Hm I'm not a huge fan of LEATHERWOLF right from the start mate, and my initial rating was even lower than that maybe 75%, their top song is 'Thunder' here but then the rest mostly between 7.5 to 8.5 and replay value for me not that high although I respect the musicianship, but 78% is still considered a good metal album and I might keep it but if the price is high, I'll sell it :D

btw why don't you make your own list John, at least your own top 20 or top 30 and see if I can revisit some of your high-rated albums

and by the way, just in case some of you find it hard to listen to some obscure albums, beside youtube and spotify, you can check out mp3li.org, they have surprisingly complete collection of almost every song :D