1989 - best albums

Glen

I defo think 'Organised Crime' will be right up there. There's not a sniff of a dull moment ('Mr Heartache' isn't that bad) but there's a bundle of gems on it. I dunno, we'll see. Who knows. Some great discs on the list.

• My Little Pony

Done re-rating 14 albums, still a long way to go, and don't know when to post the whole list but at least top 50 first :D

How on earth do you get the time?

And money. Don't forget money.

I guess you bastards bought them as they were released. Consider yourselves fortunate.

Done re-rating 14 albums, still a long way to go, and don't know when to post the whole list but at least top 50 first :D

Stream the whole album on youtube while putting down the rating, that's the quickest way instead of pulling and playing those CDs one by one

I guess you bastards bought them as they were released. Consider yourselves fortunate.

hey buddy, just check out the full songs list on the main site and search on youtube. Old albums were fully uploaded, no need to buy them first haha

i got around 100+ cds of 1989 and probably same amount of every year, no way we can chase this project in time if we have to sit a full 45 minutes of every CD, and beside some albums were played to death so probably 10 minutes is enough for reminder and rate one :D

Stream the whole album on youtube while putting down the rating, that's the quickest way instead of pulling and playing those CDs one by one

Yeah but youve still listened to 14 albums - that could take me a week lol

• My Little Pony

haha i didn't do 14 albums in one day, that's crazy

started doing that probably 3 days ago :D

My job allows for me to play music all day, most days. I could burn off ten albums a day, no problem. However, I work with my dad, and I try to play music that he would appreciate, too. So most of this stuff I still have to listen on my own.

My job allows for me to play music all day, most days. I could burn off ten albums a day, no problem. However, I work with my dad, and I try to play music that he would appreciate, too. So most of this stuff I still have to listen on my own.

just wear headphone when you're blasting some death metal stuffs bro haha but then your old man will punch ya if he yelled 3 times and you didn't respond :D

• My Little Pony

just wear headphone when you're blasting some death metal stuffs bro haha but then your old man will punch ya if he yelled 3 times and you didn't respond :D

That's the thing, working on a construction site, I like to hear what's goings ons around me. And I have shitty headphones.

Can someone give a breakdown of their rating of each track from each of their favourite albums for 1989. Nah just kidding I love reading these lists but honestly I struggle to decide on favourite albums...just too many good ones.

and beside some albums were played to death so probably 10 minutes is enough for reminder and rate one :D

This is true. I only even thought about rating my collection due to what I can accomplish whilst at work, but it is very true that some albums only take a few mins because you know the songs inside out and it's only really in the CD player as a quick reminder more than anything else. Generally, the better the album, the quicker and easier they are to rate.

This is going to an eye opener.

This morning I was busy rating Giant - Last Of The Runaways.

I love this album as much as the next guy (or gal), but I was surprised to find that I could only find 4 songs on the album which deserved a mark of 9 or above (albeit 2 songs were a straight 10).

Extremely consistent album and really great playing but not that many deadset killers.

IMHO of course.

Interesting.

This is going to an eye opener.

This morning I was busy rating Giant - Last Of The Runaways.

I love this album as much as the next guy (or gal), but I was surprised to find that I could only find 4 songs on the album which deserved a mark of 9 or above (albeit 2 songs were a straight 10).

Extremely consistent album and really great playing but not that many deadset killers.

IMHO of course.

Interesting.

That happens with me on basically a daily basis. very surprising a lot of the time.

Rated Dangerous Toys and Workforce this morning.

Both pretty weak albums if I'm honest.

I havent listened to the Dangerous Toys debut in like 15 years, and it hasnt aged well. I love the song 'Scared' but nothing else really stands out on the album. When compared to modern day sleaze like Crashdiet or Hardcore Superstar it really is pretty average.

I havent listened to the Dangerous Toys debut in like 15 years, and it hasnt aged well. I love the song 'Scared' but nothing else really stands out on the album. When compared to modern day sleaze like Crashdiet or Hardcore Superstar it really is pretty average.

I could have told you that. ;)

I rated Boysvoice's (first two) and Boulevard's two albums today... not really good news for either. No-one topped 80%. It's funny looking back at all those albums in detail how few actually live up to the memories you have of them, when you scrutinise them. Brass Kitten also went very averagely, but that wasn't a real surprise to me, bar a couple of fantastic songs.

I could have told you that. ;)

I rated Boysvoice's (first two) and Boulevard's two albums today... not really good news for either. No-one topped 80%. It's funny looking back at all those albums in detail how few actually live up to the memories you have of them, when you scrutinise them. Brass Kitten also went very averagely, but that wasn't a real surprise to me, bar a couple of fantastic songs.

Oh I know 'Into The Street' will rate very highly for me - I listen to that regularly and aside from one maybe 2 tracks it is brilliant throughout imo.

1989 is surprising me tho (shouldnt really I suppose)....I really thought I would have about 20 albums over 90% but its looking more and more likely that it won't happen.

Still a lot of (supposed) gems to go so we'll see how it pans out.

Its making me realise just how great 2009-2014 has been.

I guess if you're only focusing on 1 or 2 genres (AOR or glam), every single year will be almost impossible to have 20 albums marked over 90%, but if you stretch a bit to other genres like metal, prog, etc, I think it's very possible. I like some classic heavy metal and thrash and I believe more than 30 albums in the 80s decade will be in the 90% territory, so divided by 10 years, it's possible to have at least 3 metal albums in my top 20.

What are you guys doing with cover numbers? Rating or not?

Example : Lillian Axe - My Number

One of my favs on that album but not their song