Christmas break 2014

Ken

It's a little late to post but got the flu 3 weeks ago and still haven't been feeling that great. Plus I wanted to hit some local shops before I posted this but didn't get to many. My trip is from Pittsburgh to Rochester, NY, and hitting the shops in Erie & Buffalo as well. Stops included goodwill stores, pawn shops, used cd stores, etc. anything were I could find a deal as I have a few extra days off from work to visit family out of town. I'm posting this for 2 reasons. To remember what I found on this trip and how bad it actually was. This is what found for about 20 hours of searching. Not including my drive from Pittsburgh to Rochester.

2 cassettes.

Luis Cardenas: Animal Instinct

Galleyboys: S/T

Ya. That's it for about 20 hours of searching. Totally dead out there. What did I pass on?

CD - Great White: Shot in the Dark (original press)

CD - Helix: Back for Another Taste

CD - Doro: True at Heart

What have I found since? Not much.

Saint: Too Late for Living (free with repeat performer card)

Krank! Get Up and Go (1999 Indie, female vox)

Sidewinder: Free Wheeling (Peoria AZ)

I think this is the trend to be honest. Cds aren't selling as much and as a result no one, especially the older ones have stores that want to stock them. It's just going to get worse. In Australia I've pretty much given up trying to grab some semi decent stuff at places that used to have them. Shame as I really miss the hunt!

I haven't set foot in a CD store in about 3 years now. Maybe longer. I am not sure if they even exist anymore. I know there was one I was trying to go to at least a couple of times a year when it was open, but about 3 years ago I went there and it was gone. To me, that was the day the (day of buying in-store) music died.

It's not something that even crosses my mind anymore because I just know the whole scene is dead. I did lend it a thought the other day - a melancholy thought, actually. They were good times, but it truly feels like a lifetime ago. Probably about 15+ years ago, my last good CD trek.

I live in the Buffalo area, on the Canadian side and there is nothing around these parts when it comes to cd's. It has been getting worse and worse every year. I used to go hunting for cd's at least once a month if not every week at one time. My last hunt was during the Christmas break and it was my first since the past summer. I found about 25 cd's, mostly junk.

I used to travel hundreds and even thousands of miles to find cd's to sell just to make more money to go even further away and find more cd's...those days are done, I don't even leave Niagara Falls anymore to go looking for cd's.

• My Little Pony

I've never once been on a proper hunt. I don't even know of any decent stores in the Greater Vancouver area.

It wasn't a trip for the hunt but a visit family Christmas break. It was one on the worst shopping experience ever. I know CD hunting is going to be a waste of time these days. Really, all I find anymore is maybe a new release used.

It's not like I only look for CDs, I search for sports stuff, maybe a few autographs, who knows what you'll find.

There used to be a couple of great second-hand stores locally, but they've long gone - nowadays, I get most of my CDs online or from charity shops (which throw up the odd gem every now and then, like the Bon Jovi promo that I picked up for 50p and sold on for about £30 :))

In Southend, the closest thing we have to a 'proper' second hand store is one of those 'game exchange' places, that sells games, DVDs, consoles, mobile phones and CDs - and they ask stupid money for things (£8.00 for a second-hand AC/DC CD? When you can pick it up for less than that NEW?? I think not!)

The good old days of spending hours going through the racks are - sadly - a thing of the past.

• 11 months later...

Another Christmas time for CD shopping. Only had two days as I had to head back home. I started another job just two weeks ago.

Alias: S/T (1990) $5

New Religion: S/T $5

Poison: Something to Believe In (single, box cover) $5

Scorpions: MTV Unplugged (Tour edition, 2CDs, DVD, Bonus CD) $18 new

Kix: Live in Baltimore (CD+DVD) $17 new

Jon Bon Jovi: The Very Best of 1980-1983 (Japan) $5

Bon Jovi: Crossroads (2 CDs + B-Sides Rarities) from Crossroads Box Set $10

Roughhouse: S/T $5

Whitesnake: Live in '84 Back to the Bone (CD+DVD deluxe edition) $11

Van Halen: Live Tokyo Dome in Concert (2 CDs) $12

Def Leppard: S/T (Book cover limited edition) $10

Judas Priest: Fuel for Life DVD Holland pressing $5

The Karate Kid DVD $2.50

And for myself for Christmas

Vice: Hot...Just Looking at You

Vice: No No Naughty

Taylen Storm: S/T

Demon Doll has been releasing some great stuff.

Oh well, another year to add to the collection.