Santa Cruz - s/t

Stefan

I think it's a decent release but couple of miles worse from the debut, but depends on your take on the modern approach, well I personally despise it and hate that drums pattern. I think i throw a generous 74% but I can see it's dropping down and such a shame they take the wrong turn

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the debut. Sure I don't spin it every month because I have a stack of CD's collecting up new and used that I need to listen to. When I have my PC on shuffle I always like it when a song from the debut comes on. Very solid IMO and Nothing Compares To You is a favorite.

This new one...well not a lot to add to the sentiments above. These guys are angry about something, modern, aggressive and while I do enjoy parts of pretty much each song I almost equally dislike something in each song. I agree with Nightrain, too bad they ventured so far from their debut. But Dynazty did something similar, and now their latest release I like it...just not how I like their debut.

I was hoping for them to have a "Crazy Lixx" style on their second album, but went a little more heavy.

• 3 weeks later...

Overall I think its a great album. Not as good as the debut though.

That said, I hear nothing modern on it. It's heavier no doubt, but it has more in common with heavier Skid Row than it does with anything "modern".

I think modern is a term thats thrown around too much these days, with very little actual modern sound to something.

Also, fuck is just a word, it really does not make a difference how many times its used. Just as it doesnt matter that every song probably contains words like "and" "the" and god knows how many other words. I mean lets go back to the 80s and think how many songs on a single album contained either the word "rock" or "love" or a combination of both. Its all just words.

dont agree mate - the fucks turned me right off this. Its not like its subtly done or anything - its mofo this mofo that....really unnecessary and almost done to shock more than anything else.

Just sounds really juvernile to be honest.

As for the songs, the first 2 songs to hit you tube were by far the best songs on the album which is always a bit of a disappointment.

The ballad is awful imo.......really really weak chorus.

Their debut was pretty good, but missing something, this is quite a step backwards for me.

Its interesting as this band are billed to appear at Rockingham in October which is replacing the old Firefest gigs - I doubt that crowd will react well to loads of f bombs in songs / between songs. We'll see.....

The trio of 'Bye Bye Babylon,' 'We are the ones to fall' and 'Wasted and wounded' is my favourite moment on any album this year so far. Love those 3 songs.

As for the swearing, I seriously just don't even notice it. Non-issue for me. If you can listen to a christian album and listen to them babble about Jesus song in song out, then this should be no issue.

Which ballad do you dislike, Glen? 'Bye bye Babylon' is close to my favourite on the disc... hypnotic and delicious. And 'Can you feel the rain' could have been better, and has a similar kind of "stagnant" feel like the first song on the album, but otherwise, I really dig the song. Although again definitely flawed, I really like the chorus. I love what they were trying to do more than what they did do, but it's still good. I assume that's the song you don't like?

Anyway, looks like I'm the only one, but I definitely prefer this new disc to the debut, easily.

Can you feel the rain

Yeah, it's sketchy, but I do like what they're trying to do with it.

• 4 weeks later...

This is a great album to my ears. My remedy and bye bye Babylon are a couple of my favourite songs from this year so far, and almost all of the other tracks are great too. Just really heavy, melodic and catchy. I hadn't heard their previous album before listening to this, and have done since, but can't get into it as much as this one

Yep, said it from the moment I heard it and it only increases everyday - the new one absolutely crushes the debut.

Great riffs.....some killer hooks.....aggressive, loud with some melody. This is excellent rawkin' stuff.........

• 5 weeks later...

I keep forgetting how young they are. Great riff, see now I have to get this after I convinced myself not to! Ffs.