Winger - Better Days Comin'

Stefan

LOL......

Pull is a great, great underappreciated and relatively unknown release. It took, to me, a relatively weaker sound that the band had and added some steroids. It also contained the most complete listening experience on a Winger album, for me at the time, as the first two had their moments but were very hit and miss. It is cliche to say now...but Warrrant did the same thing with their magnificent release "Dog Eat Dog"....another massive sounding record.

Based on Geoff's early review **how the hell did you get all the tracks anyway??!!**......I'm casually worried, as I wasn't a huge fan of their present stuff...with Karma being a nice record though.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glen, wasn't it you way back in this thread saying that there were already people hearing advances saying this was terrible? Seriously, there's no way in the world I'm going to be alone with my thoughts on this disc, I guarantee it. It's terrible, and that's coming from a long time, very proud fan of this band's work.

Glen, wasn't it you way back in this thread saying that there were already people hearing advances saying this was terrible? Seriously, there's no way in the world I'm going to be alone with my thoughts on this disc, I guarantee it. It's terrible, and that's coming from a long time, very proud fan of this band's work.

Cant remember mate.

I'll post some further thoughts in the fullness of time, but the bottom line is this obviously isnt as good as Pull or Karma, but on the other hand it isnt 'terrible' either and there are many songs which I really enjoy.

Cant remember mate.

I'll post some further thoughts in the fullness of time, but the bottom line is this obviously isnt as good as Pull or Karma, but on the other hand it isnt 'terrible' either and there are many songs which I really enjoy.

I guess Glen's been reading that some people are quite disappointed maybe because it's nowhere near Karma

OK, time for the REAL observation of the album now using Geoff's format ;)

1) Midnight Driver of a Love Machine - Great opener and really sets the tone for the album, could have been on Karma easily - 9.00
2) Queen Babylon - Absolutely killer track with Reb just blazing similar to a PC69 song though once the song kicks in it is totally a song that should have been on Pull. - 9.00
3) Rat Race - Track shows Reb with an "Erase the Slate" feel and totally kicks ass with an unusual upbeat rocker not normal for Winger - 8.75
4) Better Days Comin’ - Geoff hated it, I love it. The most unique song on the album with a acoustic flavor and a killer chorus. - 9.50
5) Tin Soldier - A lot prog more along the lines of the proggy stuff on Winger II (which I loved) with a hint of Thisconversationseemslikeadream, the song's meaning is the only thing I hear from IV - 8.00
6) Ever Wonder - Very moody but catchy song, again fits with Kips solo album type of song more and it will take a couple listens but cool & catchy - 7.75
7) So Long China - Stunning song, doesn't fit on any other Winger cd in my opinion, maybe a modern day S/T track - 9.75
8) Storm In Me - Very heavy, dark almost Pull-ish but not enough melody to fall there. Not the best track but not terrible. - 6.75
9) Be Who You Are, Now - If there is a turd on the album, it's this one. Slow, boring, trippy, wtf? - 5.00
10) Another Beautiful Day - Very heavy, killer riff & chorus, heavier song for IV maybe with a little Pull. - 8.25
11) Out Of This World - Excellent closer, perfect mix of Thisconversation and the S/T album with a touch of "today" in it. Long excellent solo that closes out the song & album ala "Headed for a Heartbreak" Will be a fave for some :) - 9.75
Total - 90%
Honestly, I hear more pull and Kip solo influence than Karma and IV. When I say Kip's solo stuff I don't mean it sounds like it. I mean it has that dark feel of his first release mixed with the heaviness of Pull. Very cool album that some will love & other will hate. I will say if not for the closing track the quality does start to fall off after So Long China. If I had any complaint, that would be it. Buy it & enjoy, some songs might take a few spins but this was my feel after just two.

Holy shit mate, to each their own and all that, but that is stunning. The songs you give a 9 or more... I can't believe it. Three of these songs are almost perfect, you say? Would love to see by comparison how you rate some of the good albums from this year. ;) Wowser.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I actually agree with you that if this album sounds like anything in the back catalogue of Winger it'd be Kip's solo stuff.

• My Little Pony

"So Long China!!" What a choon! That beautiful AOR chorus. And I'm glad I'm not alone on "Better Days Comin.'" Those two are my favourites, so far.

"So Long China!!" What a choon! That beautiful AOR chorus. And I'm glad I'm not alone on "Better Days Comin.'" Those two are my favourites, so far.

I agree, very cool. The production is head and shoulders above Karma as well. It blew me out of the car yesterday. I love the album and their direction. The title track is one of my faves.

Geoff, come on man!

I agree, very cool. The production is head and shoulders above Karma as well. It blew me out of the car yesterday. I love the album and their direction. The title track is one of my faves.

Geoff, come on man!

This was one of the reasons I expressed disappointment in Geoffs comments. The sound on this album is excellent. Miles better than the muddy production of Karma and almost up there with Pull (which is stellar).

I listened through again yesterday and find myself liking nearly every song - even the trippy one - excellent flow to the album too. Interesting and varied in style.

Geoff, come on man!

This was one of the reasons I expressed disappointment in Geoffs comments. The sound on this album is excellent. Miles better than the muddy production of Karma and almost up there with Pull (which is stellar).

I listened through again yesterday and find myself liking nearly every song - even the trippy one - excellent flow to the album too. Interesting and varied in style.

Spot on Glen. I liked it anyway but the more I listen the better. The production really hurt Karma though it was good. They cleaned this one up big time, would even put it a hair ahead of Pull in the production department.

And the other thing I need to comment on is the weak sound. I can't pinpoint it. I think the production job is "clearer' than 'Karma,' but the disc just sounds weak and second rate. Nothing like what you'd expect from a band that sold millions of CDs. Most people will probably be happy with the sound, but there's something just not right to me. Just sounds poor to me.

Just to clarify, dudes, this is what I said. I acknowledged the sound quality was better than 'Karma' and also that I'd probably be alone in my thoughts, but I stand by them. To say this production is near 'Pull,' imo, to use Glen's word, is ludicrous in my books. Like I said, I'll probably not be able to pinpoint it, but it just sounds like shit to me. There's no fullness and definitely not the balls 'Pull' has. Okay, here's the best I can try to explain it. 'Pull,' and 'Karma,' actually, sound like full band efforts. It almost sounds like the band is all there playing together, which of course they're not. But on this, it just sound separated. Like they're all doing their own thing and together, it's just put together in what I think sounds like a weak manner. The band does not sound like it's gelling on this CD, whereas they always have otherwise. I dunno guys, like I say, hard to pinpoint. All I know is I really dislike the sound of this disc.

And as for me coming around to liking that title track. Sorry guys, not in a million years. At least not whilst I still value good music.

• My Little Pony

Well, I've spun H.e.a.t once, and I just finished my sixth rotation of this bitch. I think you know where I stand.

I spun them back to back today. HEAT is killer & prob my fav of the year so far but the Winger is very cool too. Its certainly a more varied & interesting listen. Can see it being a huge grower. I wont be laying a rating on it for quite a few weeks yet.

Pump the H.E.A.T again and you know you want to give it a 90%-ers Glen

and as for Winger, I guess the reasonable consensus by at least 20 people in this forum should fall between 80-85

So on the 4th or 5th spin now. Growing on me. It's certainly not a classic but some mighty fine tunes in there. Really like Midnight Love Machine, Queen Babylon, Better Days are comin', So Long China,

Still don't like Rat Race.

Wow... a mixed bag on this new Winger disc. I am leaning towards Geoff's rating more than Jarred's.

My view:

1. Midnight Driver Of A Love Machine 8.75/10
2. Queen Babylon 6.75/10
3. Rat Race 8.25/10
4. Better Days Comin' 6.50/10
5. Tin Soldier 6.75/10
6. Ever Wonder 7.25/10
7. So Long China 7.50/10
8. Storm In Me 6.25/10
9. Be Who You Are Now 6.00/10
10. Another Beautiful Day 7.75/10
11. Out Of This World 7.50/10