Darkhorse - Let It Ride (Paul Laine goes country...almost)

Stefan

• My Little Pony

Fucking sellout. Maybe he should form a band with Ron Keel. Call 'em The Posers.

If that's where he's from and that's what he grew up with, then doing Danger Danger would have been the moment he sold out. There's no reason one can't explore different genres. I mean, it still has the Melodic Rock sound.

Fucking sellout. Maybe he should form a band with Ron Keel. Call 'em The Posers.

If that's where he's from and that's what he grew up with, then doing Danger Danger would have been the moment he sold out. There's no reason one can't explore different genres. I mean, it still has the Melodic Rock sound.

But with those twangy country guitars. I hate it.

Does that mean he's a poser? Probably not.

I just hate when rockers turn to country to jump on the bandwagon or for a quick buck because of country/rock's crossover success in recent years.

I guess I don't mind it too bad. I did really despise Skid Row's "You Lie" bullshit. That was fucking disgraceful.

• 3 weeks later...

The album is excellent.

10 perfectly constructed hooks.

Basically the softer side of melodic rock with a country twang.

Perfect chillout album for me - this album has got massive replay value and i can see this featuring very highly for me this year.

• 1 month later...

I like this disc, but I feel like I'd love it if it had just avoided that country twang. I personally just don't see the need to add that to the disc. Laine has written and recorded a lot of good melodic rock and it's never needed a twang before; still doesn't now. That said, I think 'Heaven tonight' is a nice melodic rock tune, and the two ballads, 'Strong,' and especially 'Goodbye' are both excellent. Possibly because they're least affected by the country too...

Just appealing to a wider audience I guess....I love it just the way it is.

Good job...and hooks wise its a damned better than a lot of melodic rock / aor albums this year.

'Twangs' sell records at the present time. Go down the country rock route and you have more chance of shifting units, that's the way it goes, and the way a lot of people are going at the moment. Absolutely nothing wrong with that either, 'cos I like a bit of 'Twang' on occasions.

Regarding this one...a great 'Melodic' record and as Glen says, a damned sight better than some of the dross being presently served up in the name of R 'n R

Fair call, guys. I know what you're saying and I'd not stand in the way of someone trying to make money, but my thoughts on the disc are this: I truly believe that if you did a survey on the people who buy and are interested in this album, probably as much as 80-90% of the people are probably fans of 'Stick it in your ear' and Danger Danger.

If I'm wrong and in fact, most of the listeners are random country music fans who have never heard of Paul Laine in their life, and just wanted to try out a brand new country band, well good luck to the band. They've made the right call. But I'd love to see the stats to prove it... ;)

For the record, this is in the top 25% of albums I've heard this year too. I do like it, but I feel it could be in the top 10-15% of albums this year without the twang.

Fair call, guys. I know what you're saying and I'd not stand in the way of someone trying to make money, but my thoughts on the disc are this: I truly believe that if you did a survey on the people who buy and are interested in this album, probably as much as 80-90% of the people are probably fans of 'Stick it in your ear' and Danger Danger.

If I'm wrong and in fact, most of the listeners are random country music fans who have never heard of Paul Laine in their life, and just wanted to try out a brand new country band, well good luck to the band. They've made the right call. But I'd love to see the stats to prove it... ;)

For the record, this is in the top 25% of albums I've heard this year too. I do like it, but I feel it could be in the top 10-15% of albums this year without the twang.

I haven't even bothered to listen to the whole disc. Any twang is too much twang in my book.

• My Little Pony

I grew up with Cuntry, so I figured I wouldn't mind this, but I guess the problem is knowing how he used sing.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...