My $1.00 Find

LV KIX

Yesterday I had about 20 minutes to kill in a little town called Hancock, Maryland. I was going to grab a bite to eat.. On my way to find something to eat I noticed a huge blue building. As I got closer to it I noticed that it was a giant indoor flea market type of thing. So, I stopped to brouse. I walked through looking for CDs. I managed to find a few CDs to fill some holes in my collection from between $2.50 and $4.00. I had 6 CDs in my hand as I continued to look for the next booth with CDs. I spoted what looked like it may be the last booth with CDs. I walk up to the booth which had hundreds of CDs and what do I see on the very top of the stack? I had to do a double take as I had just had this CD on ebay watch about a week ago (and it ended at well over $100). Much to my surprise I was staring down at a BLAZ-ON - "All In Bad Taste" CD. I picked it up and looked at the little green price sticker on the CD... PRICE - $1.00. I then held my breath as I opened it. I was praying that the CD was actually in the case. The CD was in the case and the top of it looked really good. The next worry was taking the disc out to check the other side... I carefully removed the CD from the case and flipped it over... PERFECT. tI was so cool to have a score like that again, they are just so few and far between these days.

This brought back memories of days long past.... Days when looking through second hand shops, used CD stores, and flea markets was fun. I guess you just never know. To all of those who still search for a rare or hard to find CD... There is still hope. Don't give up, keep your passion for collecting strong. And most importantly.. good luck of your future scrounges.

That's awesome Dave! Actually got my heart pumping a bit while reading that just knowing the feeling of finding a cd like that and then making sure it's intact. It is definitely a rare thing nowadays to find a score like that but as you said it can still happen. Congrats!

Niiiiccce :) unfortuantely we dont really have flea market type of things where I live,the nearest is cd/record fair every so often which used to be fantastic but over the last few years has become a wee bit crap,its usually full of sellers selling top40 pop chart stuff :( what where the other cds that you found to plug the holes in your collection?

My best one-dollar find was when I found LOFCAUDIO by Mastedon in this hole-in-the-wall thrift shop in my town a year or so ago. The inserts are shot to s**t from water damage but the disc plays fine. I wish it were in better shape cuz I know that one goes for stooooopid $$ on the collector market. Oh well, it's a nice conversation piece.

• 4 weeks later...

I remember when I used to go to a record shop in Croydon called Beanos. You'd see CDs like "Lita" by Lita Ford, and it would have a sticker on it marking it as deleted, and they would want £15-£20 for it, and I knew it could be obtained easily for probably £5 - £10 elsewhere. Then I would go into their little shop next door where they sold everything for a £1 cause it was all stuff nobody had heard of, and I came out with stuff like Roadhouse and Crystal Roxx.

I remember when I used to go to a record shop in Croydon called Beanos. You'd see CDs like "Lita" by Lita Ford, and it would have a sticker on it marking it as deleted, and they would want £15-£20 for it, and I knew it could be obtained easily for probably £5 - £10 elsewhere. Then I would go into their little shop next door where they sold everything for a £1 cause it was all stuff nobody had heard of, and I came out with stuff like Roadhouse and Crystal Roxx.

Beanos! What a blast from the past! They ripped me off many times over about ten years, paying next to nothing for anything I wanted to sell and overcharging for anything I wanted to buy. I spent many lunch times in there, but had very little sympathy when they closed.

about 6 months ago my mom went to a local flea market while I was working on a Saturday. Normally it's pretty impossible to find anything rare (or remotely AOR/Melodic/Hard Rock/Metal besides Bon Jovi and the standard stuff like Europe etc. in my area) As usual she checked for CDs I might like and found some that looked "interesting" (she knows most of the music styles I like, but doesn't listen to them herself).

To make a long story short: What did she bring me you might ask? --> Oxido - Breaking Down The Walls CD in mint condition for 2 bucks!!! :)

Picked up these for £2 (they were charging £1 for 3 CDs) at a scout hut sale last weekend:

The Almighty - Soul Destruction

Iommi - Iommi

Iommi - Fused

Whitesnake - Slip of the Tongue

Skid Row - Skid Row

Faith No More - Who Cares a Lot? The Greatest Hits

I've been lucky enough to find a few CDs over the years at ridiculously low prices, but a lot of the second hand places around here have either closed down or charge stupid money for what they're selling, regardless of how rare it may (or may not) be ... :(

Picked up these for £2 (they were charging £1 for 3 CDs) at a scout hut sale last weekend:

Iommi - Iommi

Iommi - Fused

You remember that list of things I wanted from you ....? :)

• 2 weeks later...

Beanos! What a blast from the past! They ripped me off many times over about ten years, paying next to nothing for anything I wanted to sell and overcharging for anything I wanted to buy. I spent many lunch times in there, but had very little sympathy when they closed.

Yeah, as I said with the Lita Ford CD, some of their stuff was way over priced, but what I loved about that place was they knew nothing about glam and hair metal, so you could actually pick up some pretty unusual stuff for reasonable prices, as they had no idea what they were selling. To them it was only collectable if it was a more well known name in that section.

Only thing that saddened me about it closing was it was probably the last high street shop where you could find some proper musical gems. You were never gonna walk into most shops and find stuff like Wildside, Sven Gali, Girl, Crystal Roxx & Roadhouse, to name a few bands that I found or discovered in there.

My best finds for a buck were Simon Says ....Spin This I found in Pittsburgh in a book store that had cd's. I turned around and sold it for over 300$.

However the best buck find, actually I think it was 10 cd's for 5$, included a copy of The Stuff, a crazy rare and unkown indie...at the time. It sold for over 1,110$.

Just recently, in February I had one of my best finds through Kijiji, a Canadian styled Craig's List. Some guy was gonna throw out over 600 cd's, unless someone came to pick them up, which he simply just left in front of his garage. I drove from Niagara Falls to Toronto and rescued those cd's. The vast majority were crap. However I did keep about about 80 to 100 titles to sell on Ebay and traded the rest to a seller at a Flea Market. I traded the remaining 500 or so for about 75 of his titles, he thought I was nuts, but those 75 titles were all quality. In the end I got over 150 really good cd's for the cost of half a tank of gas and two sandwiches at Quizno's....my ten year came along for the ride.

My best finds for a buck were Simon Says ....Spin This I found in Pittsburgh in a book store that had cd's. I turned around and sold it for over 300$.

However the best buck find, actually I think it was 10 cd's for 5$, included a copy of The Stuff, a crazy rare and unkown indie...at the time. It sold for over 1,110$.

Just recently, in February I had one of my best finds through Kijiji, a Canadian styled Craig's List. Some guy was gonna throw out over 600 cd's, unless someone came to pick them up, which he simply just left in front of his garage. I drove from Niagara Falls to Toronto and rescued those cd's. The vast majority were crap. However I did keep about about 80 to 100 titles to sell on Ebay and traded the rest to a seller at a Flea Market. I traded the remaining 500 or so for about 75 of his titles, he thought I was nuts, but those 75 titles were all quality. In the end I got over 150 really good cd's for the cost of half a tank of gas and two sandwiches at Quizno's....my ten year came along for the ride.

Awesome job! I'd make the trip for the 600 jewel cases alone.

Well done mate,i would have done the exact same thing.

Awesome job! I'd make the trip for the 600 jewel cases alone.

Yeah, good work, I wonder how much you'd get if you sold all the CDs you've ended up with through this 'deal'. I can't imagine anyone giving anything away for free in the UK!