Does this belong on HH?

Does this belong on HH?  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Oh... sorry everyone, did I express my personal opinion? I am terribly sorry it won't happen again. It seems that I have stepped on some toes here.. but I completely understand, I am "new" here, so I must be wrong... Jeezus!

Things are simpler than they seem, you (place name here) like a band, I don't... There is no way in changing my mind... so keep any clever comments to yourself (referring to the scrotum part). The tracks are crap to my ears I expressed my opinion and that's that... unless this is a promo section...

As for how I rate music.... again a matter of personal taste so any other mentor-y comments can and should be avoided.

It's 1992 all over again when my friends tried to convince me that Nirvana was musical revolution... Who made you king of the world...

p.s. A guitar solo is not the Alpha and Omega of a song but it's what draws the line (usually) between a great song and a masterpiece IMHO (always).

p.p.s. I personally find Satriani and Vai albums very boring (with a few exceptions of course)

Glad you took all that away from my post. And thanks for telling me how my posts should be too. What I can and cannot do, and can and cannot say to you. That really helps. Can you also confirm that my deep faith in Jesus is okay with you? Do I pray enough? Am I in love with Jesus, and even God... do I love God as much as I should? As much as Jesus? I just love the both so much. Please tell me it's okay with you?

It's a nice politically correct post, and I can even picture the tear in the corner of your eye, but is it not contradictory for you to advise me that I need professional help for thinking these songs are melodic, and then you fly off the handle. I mean, dude, you cut sick. Went wild... call it what you will. But is your passionate outburst at me for doing what you already did not a lesson in irony?

I don't care if you're a new member or not - I like new members and I hope you stick around. But there's no point starting a discussion and then flailing your hands about in the air and having a tantrum the moment someone says something that doesn't please you. It's just an internet discussion... it's not going to murder you.

Now let me play badminton with your balls. Sorry, you told me not to speak like that. So I won't.

Or will I?

Nah, of course not. I respect you too much.

Or do I?

Nah, but it sounded nice. Or did it?

Your a fag

Don't say it as if you don't like it. Comb my hair for me. NOW!

As for no solo in 'On the run.' I've heard the album about 5 times and never even realised there was no solo in 'On the run.' Seriously. Or 'Bullet from a gun.' Really? There's no solo on that one either??? I'd have bet my busy ballsack there was one there.

But I guess that just shows where I'm at. Like I said above, I like a guitar solo but it literally has 0 impact on how much I like a song. Truly. Not 1%. I mean 0%.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like both sides of this argument, but as James says I can think of plenty of 'great' songs recently which would have been 'better' for me if they had a solo.

2 classic recent examples of this are WET - On The Run and Jimi Jamison - Bullet in the Gun which bizarrely are both CRYING OUT FOR A SOLO at exactly 2 mins 35.....same point in each song. Listen and tell me if I'm wrong. The WET song in particular leaves me wanting........

Of course it needs to be a great solo (not a shite one lol), but Im sure EM could have conjured up something suitable in each case.

Would have made both these songs near 10/10 instead of 9/10.

Just saying.

Don't know that song, but I heard another perfect example of this last night. The song is 'This Love', by Dallas. Really nice tune, sounding like being a great song, building towards a nice guitar solo (which had been hinted at in the intro of the song) then ... some repetitive, whispery nonsense. So disappointing. For me this song is absolutely crying out for a guitar solo and would be killer if it had one (that built on the brief burst of lead guitar in the intro). As it stands, it's still a good song, but not a great one.

Oh... sorry everyone, did I express my personal opinion? I am terribly sorry it won't happen again. It seems that I have stepped on some toes here.. but I completely understand, I am "new" here, so I must be wrong... Jeezus!

Things are simpler than they seem, you (place name here) like a band, I don't... There is no way in changing my mind... so keep any clever comments to yourself (referring to the scrotum part). The tracks are crap to my ears I expressed my opinion and that's that... unless this is a promo section...

As for how I rate music.... again a matter of personal taste so any other mentor-y comments can and should be avoided.

It's 1992 all over again when my friends tried to convince me that Nirvana was musical revolution... Who made you king of the world...

p.s. A guitar solo is not the Alpha and Omega of a song but it's what draws the line (usually) between a great song and a masterpiece IMHO (always).

p.p.s. I personally find Satriani and Vai albums very boring (with a few exceptions of course)

Glad you took all that away from my post. And thanks for telling me how my posts should be too. What I can and cannot do, and can and cannot say to you. That really helps. Can you also confirm that my deep faith in Jesus is okay with you? Do I pray enough? Am I in love with Jesus, and even God... do I love God as much as I should? As much as Jesus? I just love the both so much. Please tell me it's okay with you?

It's a nice politically correct post, and I can even picture the tear in the corner of your eye, but is it not contradictory for you to advise me that I need professional help for thinking these songs are melodic, and then you fly off the handle. I mean, dude, you cut sick. Went wild... call it what you will. But is your passionate outburst at me for doing what you already did not a lesson in irony?

I don't care if you're a new member or not - I like new members and I hope you stick around. But there's no point starting a discussion and then flailing your hands about in the air and having a tantrum the moment someone says something that doesn't please you. It's just an internet discussion... it's not going to murder you.

Now let me play badminton with your balls. Sorry, you told me not to speak like that. So I won't.

Or will I?

Or do I?

Your a fag

As for no solo in 'On the run.' I've heard the album about 5 times and never even realised there was no solo in 'On the run.' Seriously. Or 'Bullet from a gun.' Really? There's no solo on that one either??? I'd have bet my busy ballsack there was one there.

But I guess that just shows where I'm at. Like I said above, I like a guitar solo but it literally has 0 impact on how much I like a song. Truly. Not 1%. I mean 0%.

well maybe not for you, but for a lot of folk it DOES matter. A lot.

Or will I?

Or do I?

Your a fag

Yeah mate I do honestly appreciate that, 100%. Truly do.

I made a little catch phrase for myself the other day, though. It goes a little like this:

There are a billion hard rock songs with great guitar solos that plain and simply suck. There is not a hard rock song with a great hook that sucks balls.

Seriously, I don't want to come off sounding like I don't love a good guitar solo. I honestly do. I just feel that these days they're there for the sake of being there, rather than for the sake of being awesome, like they were back in "the day."

So many solos these days, yet so few actually interest me even a little bit. Like back in the day, if I heard a Slamer solo, Satriani and Vai' solo's on the Alice Cooper 'Hey Stoopid' disc, Hary Cody solos on SM discs, Joey Allen on 'Dog Eat Dog,' Alfred Koffler in early PC69, Kendall in Great White, G:Son from Masquerade... just to name a few. These guys made their guitar solos mean something. I'll even throw in CC Deville. Love him or hate and edit him... whatever they did, I loved CC's solos. I just don't get that with anyone any more.

Even Slamer's become stale and he's basically Jesus to me. Seriously, apart from Pete Fry (:wub:), who's a guitarist out there at the moment really making you say "OH WOW! MY BALLS! FIND THEM! I JUST LOST MY BALLS BECAUSE MY SACK EXPLODED BECAUSE OF THE SOLO! SERIOUSLY, THE AWESOME GUITAR SOLO EXPLODED MY BALLS!!!' Sadly, I just don't get that feeling anymore. Maybe just me. :(

Sadly, half the time I'd prefer to hear one of those monster heavy breakdowns that many modern rock/metal bands utilise. :)

Or will I?

Or do I?

Your a fag

Yeah mate I do honestly appreciate that, 100%. Truly do.

I made a little catch phrase for myself the other day, though. It goes a little like this:

There are a billion hard rock songs with great guitar solos that plain and simply suck. There is not a hard rock song with a great hook that sucks balls.

Seriously, I don't want to come off sounding like I don't love a good guitar solo. I honestly do. I just feel that these days they're there for the sake of being there, rather than for the sake of being awesome, like they were back in "the day."

So many solos these days, yet so few actually interest me even a little bit. Like back in the day, if I heard a Slamer solo, Satriani and Vai' solo's on the Alice Cooper 'Hey Stoopid' disc, Hary Cody solos on SM discs, Joey Allen on 'Dog Eat Dog,' Alfred Koffler in early PC69, Kendall in Great White, G:Son from Masquerade... just to name a few. These guys made their guitar solos mean something. I'll even throw in CC Deville. Love him or hate and edit him... whatever they did, I loved CC's solos. I just don't get that with anyone any more.

Even Slamer's become stale and he's basically Jesus to me. Seriously, apart from Pete Fry ( :wub:), who's a guitarist out there at the moment really making you say "OH WOW! MY BALLS! FIND THEM! I JUST LOST MY BALLS BECAUSE MY SACK EXPLODED BECAUSE OF THE SOLO! SERIOUSLY, THE AWESOME GUITAR SOLO EXPLODED MY BALLS!!!' Sadly, I just don't get that feeling anymore. Maybe just me. :(

Sadly, half the time I'd prefer to hear one of those monster heavy breakdowns that many modern rock/metal bands utilise. :)

I do think it's a real shame when songs (such as 'This Love') sound like they about to naturally segue into a nice guitar solo and it doesn't happen, but maybe it doesn't sound that way to some.

Anyway, it looks like we're violently agreeing on the key point here, i.e.:

Great guitar solo > no guitar solo

No guitar solo > ball-sucking guitar solo

Job done. :D

BTW, agree about Mr P Fry's guitar solos. They are feckin' awesome. I'm not a huge fan of FarCry's choruses though, so would like to hear his guitar genius on something else ... :whistle:

Back to the A Life Divided stuff. Got both together in the mail at the beginning of the week and they are both really excellent albums, just the sort of stuff I love listening to this day and age. Loads of great melodies, riffs, great choruses..with a nice modern touch, especially in the keys department for an added bonus. It won't be for everyone for sure, but it ticks all the boxes with me with 'the Great Escape' going to the the top of the pile of stuff this year so far.

I got my Life Divided earlier today, it's every bit as good as i'd hoped it was, where did you come across these guys Dan? and people, heres a way to put your fucking winless argument to rest, there is this group called Pantera, who happen to do a song called?? This Love, guess what it has in it? a solo, and it is a better song then the song you've been arguing about, so there, you have this love, with a solo, and a far better solo then anything your going to get anywhere else.

I'm going to have to go with Geoff on this one, not because I want to, mainly because my opinion is this, if you want a guitar solo, I do believe every band from like 79 to like 99 had one in there song somewhere, very very few solo's are anything more then some guy jerking off all over his fretboard anymore, I admit, if the guy is talented, and I mean talented in that he brings a certain unique dynamic to his playing style that makes him sound like hes not everyone else, I am a sucker for a solo by this type of guitarists, Examples, Mike Dmitrovich, Harry Cody, Pete Lesperance, Marc Diglio, Nuno, these are guys whom I can hear something new, that ive never heard from them before, and practically name them by style alone, Eddie Van Halen will never play anything I dont find fucking mind blowing, and a few not as willing to jerk off, but almost the pinnacle of perfection are of course Mr. Lukather, John Scofield, and Al DiMieola, I would rather here one of their solos any day over anyone else, and yes, I was trying to avoid it as to not appear to be smooching any rectum, or licking asshole, but Mr. Fry has managed to sell me on his throwback to 80's frenzied fret work, blended in with some minor softer and more melodic solos, If I didn't know him, I can assure you I would be listing him on here because he and Marcello are 2 unique axemen who I find relevant even in todays music, and I will never not list Mantas!! so solos fit a certain type of music, not every song needs a fucking solo, and frankly it's pretty fucking redundant and ridiculous to apply a solo to every single song, as in thats been done before, how about you play a solo not to fill that minute to minute and a half between the 2nd chorus and 3rd chorus, but how about a solo to tie the song together, and make it a more complete set of work? thats what I believe the solo needs to be, and where it will stay relevant in music current and past history.

• My Little Pony

I got my Life Divided earlier today, it's every bit as good as i'd hoped it was, where did you come across these guys Dan? and people, heres a way to put your fucking winless argument to rest, there is this group called Pantera, who happen to do a song called?? This Love, guess what it has in it? a solo, and it is a better song then the song you've been arguing about, so there, you have this love, with a solo, and a far better solo then anything your going to get anywhere else.

I'm going to have to go with Geoff on this one, not because I want to, mainly because my opinion is this, if you want a guitar solo, I do believe every band from like 79 to like 99 had one in there song somewhere, very very few solo's are anything more then some guy jerking off all over his fretboard anymore, I admit, if the guy is talented, and I mean talented in that he brings a certain unique dynamic to his playing style that makes him sound like hes not everyone else, I am a sucker for a solo by this type of guitarists, Examples, Mike Dmitrovich, Harry Cody, Pete Lesperance, Marc Diglio, Nuno, these are guys whom I can hear something new, that ive never heard from them before, and practically name them by style alone, Eddie Van Halen will never play anything I dont find fucking mind blowing, and a few not as willing to jerk off, but almost the pinnacle of perfection are of course Mr. Lukather, John Scofield, and Al DiMieola, I would rather here one of their solos any day over anyone else, and yes, I was trying to avoid it as to not appear to be smooching any rectum, or licking asshole, but Mr. Fry has managed to sell me on his throwback to 80's frenzied fret work, blended in with some minor softer and more melodic solos, If I didn't know him, I can assure you I would be listing him on here because he and Marcello are 2 unique axemen who I find relevant even in todays music, and I will never not list Mantas!! so solos fit a certain type of music, not every song needs a fucking solo, and frankly it's pretty fucking redundant and ridiculous to apply a solo to every single song, as in thats been done before, how about you play a solo not to fill that minute to minute and a half between the 2nd chorus and 3rd chorus, but how about a solo to tie the song together, and make it a more complete set of work? thats what I believe the solo needs to be, and where it will stay relevant in music current and past history.

Preach.

I agree whole heartedly, who was saying anything else. Absolutely a solo has to fit and compliment the song, I intensely dislike musical wank, always have always will do.

I also agree that not every song needs a solo, Christ I listen to a hell of a lot of modern rock which barely has a solo in sight.

All I was saying earlier is that a good solo which fits a song style/structure can improve a song.

Anyways back on topic, I'm gonna check this band out this morning on Spotify if I can, sounds good stuff.

Cheers

I agree whole heartedly, who was saying anything else. Absolutely a solo has to fit and compliment the song, I intensely dislike musical wank, always have always will do.

I also agree that not every song needs a solo, Christ I listen to a hell of a lot of modern rock which barely has a solo in sight.

All I was saying earlier is that a good solo which fits a song style/structure can improve a song.

Anyways back on topic, I'm gonna check this band out this morning on Spotify if I can, sounds good stuff.

Cheers

You are 100% correct mr. glen, as always youve simplified my point, good work.

Preach.

You know it would help if you quit being a smart ass and jump in and help me make my point so I dont have to preach, smart ass!

Dan and Jez, I agree, both very good discs, with the new one being the clear better of the two. The debut is good and a perfect stepping stone to the new one. But the choruses and melodies on the new one are just that bit bigger and more intense. Everything, in fact, is amplified on the new one, for the sake of good. Very cool band, though, and like I said, this new disc will be in the mix this year.

The new album wasn't on Spotify :-( I listened to the samples & yeah it sounded nice, but having just listened to Pretty Maids & De La Cruz, I struggled a bit. Will try to get a full listen

• My Little Pony

Preach.

You know it would help if you quit being a smart ass and jump in and help me make my point so I dont have to preach, smart ass!

Nah, I'm good. ;}

Just been listening to this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xw_Tw9F8dw

Love the song, not sure how to describe it; there's an element of something like Depeche Mode to the sound / song structure imo. Hard to categorise, but that's doesn't matter as it's a really nice tune.

(Although I would prefer it with a nice guitar solo ... not trying to stir up that whole argument again, just stating a personal preference.)

Preach.

Nah, I'm good. ;}

At What?

• My Little Pony

Preach.

Nah, I'm good. ;}

At What?

All things.

Preach.

Nah, I'm good. ;}

At What?

All things.

Thats what I like to hear, thats why I like you Karpetmetalfunkoride, you arent scared to let people know you are great, like I say, now go ahead and tell me something about myself

• 3 months later...