Turning Point: The ballad that destroyed your faith in an artist (AOR

The ballad that destroyed your faith in an artist  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Every ballad on that list sucks goat nuts, but....

even though it's not on the list I'm gonna nominate Motley Crue's "Home Sweet Home" cuz that song -- and for that matter, the entire album it came from, Theater of Pain - absolutely killed that band for me.

Previously I'd loved the first two Crue records and of course, since I was a dumb 12 year old at the time, I totally bought into their whole leather-n-spikes-n-pentagrams "we're so eeeeevil and Satanic" image, particularly on Shout At the Devil (c'mon, there's even a warning in the liner notes of SOTD that sez "This album may contain backwards messages!" I was like "Duuuuuuude!")... seriously, I thought they were the most dangerous band on Earth!

...soooo, imagine my surprise when after waiting two years for a new record, not only do they look like a bunch of drag queens, but there's a f*ckin piano ballad? I was... less than pleased. :thppt: It was my first time seeing a favorite band "selling out," and it was a tough lesson to learn.

I don't hate any of them but i voted Bryan Adams. I was never a huge fan but that song got played so much it drove me crazy. Aerosmith is a close second but i started hating them before that but Crazy and Amazing did drive me crazy.

For me, Bon Jovi's ballads have, and always will, plumbed the depths of naffness ...

I actually don't know the Night Ranger ballad off the top of my head at all. I'm sure it'd ring a bell if I heard it, but the others are all tracks I really like. 'Crazy' was actually one of 3 songs that allowed that Aerosmith album to stay in my collection for as long as it did. Pretty standard ballad, but about as good as Aerosmith could muster up in general. The others - great tunes. I'd agree the Bryan Adams one was played to death, but is still a pretty cool song.

Fair enough...good to know where folks are coming from. FatFreddy, I hear you on the Crue. I stuck it out a bit longer, until Dr. Feelgood. I liked that song, and Kickstart my Heart, and ....HATED the rest of that record. They would not redeem themselves until briefly with the Corabi record, possibly their best behind Shout At The Devil.

'Amazing' by Aerosmith. I hate that one even more than 'Crazy', but I forgot about it!!

I actually don't know the Night Ranger ballad off the top of my head at all. I'm sure it'd ring a bell if I heard it, but the others are all tracks I really like. 'Crazy' was actually one of 3 songs that allowed that Aerosmith song to stay in my collection for as long as it did. Pretty standard ballad, but about as good as Aerosmith could muster up in general. The others - great tunes. I'd agree the Bryan Adams one was played to death, but is still a pretty cool song.

its on the (virtually) flawless 'Man In Motion' album...............

I actually don't know the Night Ranger ballad off the top of my head at all. I'm sure it'd ring a bell if I heard it, but the others are all tracks I really like. 'Crazy' was actually one of 3 songs that allowed that Aerosmith song to stay in my collection for as long as it did. Pretty standard ballad, but about as good as Aerosmith could muster up in general. The others - great tunes. I'd agree the Bryan Adams one was played to death, but is still a pretty cool song.

Oh really? That's my favourite disc from them. But I have to admit, I only got it a couple of years ago for the first time and it has not got the listens it deserves, by any means. But it will this coming week! ;)

Oh really? That's my favourite disc from them. But I have to admit, I only got it a couple of years ago for the first time and it has not got the listens it deserves, by any means. But it will this coming week! ;)

yep that needs rectifying prompto....killer MHR disc. Arguably one of their best imo.

what is criminal, is that they do not play a single track from that album live?? Why, God only knows.

My band killer isn't listed here. Scorpions - Wind Of Change! That was a huge nail in the hard rock/heavy metal coffin and I think a lot of people that liked "our kind" of music could see the writing on the wall loud and clear.

'Amazing' by Aerosmith. I hate that one even more than 'Crazy', but I forgot about it!!

Is it just me or are these two, like, the exact same song? :blink:

Scorpions - Wind Of Change! That was a huge nail in the hard rock/heavy metal coffin and I think a lot of people that liked "our kind" of music could see the writing on the wall loud and clear.

I dunno 'bout that, cuz "Wind of Change" turned out to be a pretty major hit for them. I've always thought of that song as the Last Gasp of the Power Ballad/Hair Metal Era.

I know what you mean about seeing the writing on the wall tho.... cuz I saw the Scorpions on that tour (mind you it was a couple of months before "Wind" was released as a single) in early 1991 and the arena was less than half full. After witnessing the same attendance phenomenon at several other "big" arena shows that same year, it quickly became obvious that something was wrong....

Winds of Change did cross my mind, but I figured it might fit better in a different poll. I agree that it marked the end of their greatness - I was disappointed with that whole album. Not even in the same league as "Lovedrive", "Animal Magnetism", "Blackout" or "Love at First Sting". Come to think of it, those are really the only Scorpions albums one needs.

Winds of Change did cross my mind, but I figured it might fit better in a different poll. I agree that it marked the end of their greatness - I was disappointed with that whole album. Not even in the same league as "Lovedrive", "Animal Magnetism", "Blackout" or "Love at First Sting". Come to think of it, those are really the only Scorpions albums one needs.

image7.png

Their early catalog is an absolute MUST! :)

Their early catalog is an absolute MUST! :)

Hell yeah. Taken By Force = :headbanger::beerbang:

• 8 months later...

Absolutely Bryan Adams, what a cheesmo sell out, load of fluff, and on top of that, he never made another good record again, he was just axing to be in league with Michael Bolton, Air Supply, even Barry Manilow, and he got his wish, sorry fucking sappy song! there ya go, I hate Bryan Adams cause of that song, hope this answers your question.