Amazon - Frontiers/Icarus

I don't own enough Japanese discs to tell the difference in sound quality one way or the other, to be honest. Either my ear isn't "trained" enough or my listening devices aren't high enough quality.

(Shrugs) Whatever. They look cool sittin' on my shelf.

Not sure thats why they cost so much more. My understanding has always been that the reason they have the extra tracks added is because CD's are just out and out expensive in Japan, so they have to put the extras in to make it more value for money.

Also, general opinion years ago was that the sound quality was better on Jap imports, but this has been disputed by some sources over the years.

I think several reasons it costs much more :

1. the usage of the physical disc is different. You can totally spot it by comparing South American, European, and Japanese pressings, it's pretty obvious to the plain eyes actually. It's even thicker, not sure about the brand. Another very good pressing is AOR Heaven's product, this one's better than Frontiers. The worst one is South American, and even the printed booklet and CD is quite poor. Russian's IronD is slightly better

2. the amount of first press are much less than European/American pressing hence the higher cost. That's why first press is very limited that includes posters or stickers and quickly ran out after a year

3. the bonus track(s)

4. sometimes different production, but it's rare. I guess most of the times the production is the same

5. better print on booklets