Crashdiet - The Savage Playground

Stefan

• My Little Pony

The new album sees CRASHDÏET going in a heavier and direction. "'The Savage Playground' is our playground, it's the beginning and the end, it's the place where we eat and breed," says guitarist Martin Sweet. "We thought the time was right for us to do a edgier and not-so-polished-sounding album, kinda like what we sound like live. It's more organic and rough-sounding. And, of course, we're always evolving as musicians and like to try new ways of expressing ourselves, and that can most definitely be heard this album."

This kind of stuff really pisses me off, especially coming from a musician. I may not play in a band, but I do enjoy live music. If live music sounded like this, however, I wouldn't bother. Sure, sometimes the band plays in a shitty venue and the sound can be poor, but that's no one's idea of a good time. Everyone would prefer a band to sound tight and excellent with a killer sounding set so you get the most out of it and can hear each band member equally.

These comments about sounding raw and rough and all that bullshit is fine if you want to appeal to posers who think that by listening to something that sounds like shit that they're really raw, nasty and hardcore and live in the gutter and sleep on a pillow of filth and rawness and edginess. But dudes, it's 2012. We have the facilities to make recorded music sound excellent, heavy and like a band should sound live. There is no room for poor quality recordings. Not when everything you put in the stereo before and after your CD sounds like a million dollars and your product sounds like shit.

I love Crashdiet and I'm sure Martin Sweet is a top bloke, but I hate bullshit like this. Their debut and 'Generation Wild' were universally adored for good reason. Taking a step back to appeal to a handful of posers isn't going to take your band anywhere. Though, I gotta say, massive congrats on debuting at number 2 on the Swedish charts. That's awesome.

Preach!

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crashdiet are far better live though

We agree on a lot of things, but definately not on this subject ;) Just saw Crazy Lixx again a week ago and as much as I like the Crashdiet guys, CL are much tighter live + Andy Dawson's playing is miles ahead Martin Sweet's imo...

Completely agree with Geoff there! Bands like AC/DC are perfect proof for his point: Albums perfectly produced by Mutt Lange and still they manage to sound the same live. I can live with not too many backing vocal tracks on a studio album (although I love 'em) so the band is capable of doing the same in a live environement, but an unsteady or piss-weak mix is not really excusable especially when your last albums sounded great.

I wonder though how Generation Wild and Savage Playground would be judged if their production were vice versa - the songs off GW with the production of SP and the other way around?

Sorry mate but Crazy Lixx just looked bored when I saw them - love the band and their songs but just didn't look a cohesive unit live.

Fatal smile blew them away.

As for Crashdiet - they were awesome live. Hungry, energetic. Great stuff.

Having said all that Hardcore Superstar are the best. Everything about their performance was excellent.

I rated the new Dynazty 89% - great record, but not as good as 'Knock You Down' - that was awesome and the production on that baby kicked arse (euro version).

I agree. I think Knock You Down is the better disc. By quite a bit actually.

I didn't really care for KYD that much and rank the debut higher. Sultins of Sin is perfect though with no filler. KILLER Japanese bonus track as well.

I wonder if u heard the euro version which is far superior. KYD that is......

Yeah, I owned the Japanese version for the bonus tracks and downloaded the other version due to production differences. The non Japanese version sounded much better but its not just the production for me. The songs themselves were not on par with the other 2 releases. Sophomore slump maybe I dunno....just wasn't thrilled with it.

I wonder if u heard the euro version which is far superior. KYD that is......

Yeah, I owned the Japanese version for the bonus tracks and downloaded the other version due to production differences. The non Japanese version sounded much better but its not just the production for me. The songs themselves were not on par with the other 2 releases. Sophomore slump maybe I dunno....just wasn't thrilled with it.

Wowser big statement. The best songs on that one for sure for me - ESP over the debut!!!

5/10 for California? You crazy mofo - I love that track. The rolling riff, great lyrics, chorus hook, perfect solo - how is this not classic crashdiet?

Here u go Wes - you see I agree with you

5/10 for California? You crazy mofo - I love that track. The rolling riff, great lyrics, chorus hook, perfect solo - how is this not classic crashdiet?

Backed, love this tune. And that little riff they have going in the beginning and coming out of the guitar solo would be even more awesome had a little bit of Chris Laney production been put to this CD! This awesome CD would have been KILLER. :doh:

I've had this one for a couple of days and it doesn't compare very well to Generation Wild. I really want to like it however the production hurts it and Simon's voice isn't as sharp as it was on GW. The songs are solid, yet still a step back. If this release had been given the same treatment as GW it would have been a much better release. It's my first purchase of 2013 and I'd be extremely suprised if this one ended in my top 20 at year's end.

I hear it's a grower...lets hope it keeps growing.

• My Little Pony

I've had this one for a couple of days and it doesn't compare very well to Generation Wild. I really want to like it however the production hurts it and Simon's voice isn't as sharp as it was on GW. The songs are solid, yet still a step back. If this release had been given the same treatment as GW it would have been a much better release. It's my first purchase of 2013 and I'd be extremely suprised if this one ended in my top 20 at year's end.

The problem is it's in dire need of a big growth spurt. It isn't shit, but it isn't really all that good either. The argument that if this was a completely new band, we would falling over ourselves trying to get a copy, is bullshit. If this was a completely new band, I wouldn't have even bothered as much as I have.

Backed, love this tune. And that little riff they have going in the beginning and coming out of the guitar solo would be even more awesome had a little bit of Chris Laney production been put to this CD! This awesome CD would have been KILLER. :doh:

Yeah people agree with me. California rocks!

The problem is it's in dire need of a big growth spurt. It isn't shit, but it isn't really all that good either. The argument that if this was a completely new band, we would falling over ourselves trying to get a copy, is bullshit. If this was a completely new band, I wouldn't have even bothered as much as I have.

I disagree with both of you. I think this is a really good album, filled with clever hooks and rocking tracks.

With a GW production it would have been a great album, but I think this has been discussed to death now eh?!

• My Little Pony

I disagree with both of you. I think this is a really good album, filled with clever hooks and rocking tracks.

With a GW production it would have been a great album, but I think this has been discussed to death now eh?!

I only start beating a horse once it's dead.

There are five tracks I really like. The rest are either okay, or trash.

Trash? I don't think there's any trash on here. 'Cocaine Cowboys' is definitely the weakest, but it's not a dreadful song. Just an average rocker.

• My Little Pony

Trash? I don't think there's any trash on here. 'Cocaine Cowboys' is definitely the weakest, but it's not a dreadful song. Just an average rocker.

Liquid Jesus. Trash.

Liquid Jesus. Trash.

My copy doesn't have that song, so there's not a bad song on my disc :P

• My Little Pony

Yeah that is bad, but there are at least 11 or 12 great tracks before that - don't be greedy now ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Oi52WmNzD8

Production aside, on a song by song basis The Savage Playgorund stand up fairly well against Generation Wild.

Based on the song itself

GW

2.) Armageddon 9/10

3.) So Alive 9/10

4.) Generation Wild 9.5/10

5.) Rebel 8/10

6.) Save Her 9.5/10

7.) Down With The Dust 9/10

8.) Native Nature 7/10

9.) Chemical 10/10

10.) Bound To Fall 9.5/10

11.) Beautiful Pain 8.5/10

score about 90%

TSP (I'm excluded the bonus track...it sucks!)

1.) Change The World 9/10

2.) Cocaine Cowboys 7.5/10

3.) Anarchy 9.5/10

4.) California 8.5/10

5.) Lickin' Dog 6/10

6.) Circus 8.5/10

7) Sin City 9/10

8) Got A Reason 9/10

9) Drinkin' Without You 9/10

10) Snakes In Paradise 7.5/10

11) Damaged Kid 7.5/10

12) Excited 9/10

13) Garden Of Babylon 6.5/10 (just runs too damn long!)

score about 81%

Get rid of Lickin' Dog, shorten Garden Of Babylon to 4 minutes and scrap the bonus blunder and you'd have a really excellent release.

Yeah, my version doesn't have 'Liquid Jesus' either so I don't know it.

'Rebel' was the 2nd weakest song on GW, Dave? Yowser! Possibly my favourite song on the CD.

Production aside, on a song by song basis The Savage Playgorund stand up fairly well against Generation Wild.

Based on the song itself

GW

2.) Armageddon 9/10

3.) So Alive 9/10

4.) Generation Wild 9.5/10

5.) Rebel 8/10

6.) Save Her 9.5/10

7.) Down With The Dust 9/10

8.) Native Nature 7/10

9.) Chemical 10/10

10.) Bound To Fall 9.5/10

11.) Beautiful Pain 8.5/10

score about 90%

TSP (I'm excluded the bonus track...it sucks!)

1.) Change The World 9/10

2.) Cocaine Cowboys 7.5/10

3.) Anarchy 9.5/10

4.) California 8.5/10

5.) Lickin' Dog 6/10

6.) Circus 8.5/10

7) Sin City 9/10

8) Got A Reason 9/10

9) Drinkin' Without You 9/10

10) Snakes In Paradise 7.5/10

11) Damaged Kid 7.5/10

12) Excited 9/10

13) Garden Of Babylon 6.5/10 (just runs too damn long!)

score about 81%

Get rid of Lickin' Dog, shorten Garden Of Babylon to 4 minutes and scrap the bonus blunder and you'd have a really excellent release.

How exactly what I thought too and I gave it the same score except Damaged Kid is a little better (8/10) and Anarchy and California is an 8.

I recently got the Frontiers release from Amazon UK and it turns out to have 'Liquid Jesus' in it. What do you think of the track ? I know many people despise it, but strangely, I find it entertaining.