Crashdiet - The Savage Playground

Stefan

The funny thing with the CD is that with more spins, the songs do grow more - definitely liking them plenty. But the production quality seems to get worse with every listen. :( Why oh why?

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the big complaint I'm noticing is the production. Both with this album and the new Crazy Lixx album. Did both bands change producers or are they using the same producer or do the bands always use a different producer for each album and both bands were just very unlucky this time?

So the big complaint I'm noticing is the production. Both with this album and the new Crazy Lixx album. Did both bands change producers or are they using the same producer or do the bands always use a different producer for each album and both bands were just very unlucky this time?

Nought wrong with the Crazy Lixx album - more stripped back but every instrument sounds huge. Unlike this which sounds compressed and pretty shit actually.

This disc is a grower and I'm enjoying it a bit more now with multiple spins. But the production on this is terrible. Who gave the final okay to release this with such a shitty production?? Where's Chris Laney when you need him. This would be much better with a killer production and a more beefed up sound.

Glen's opinion on the Crazy Lixx production is a pretty lonely one and I personally think both suck (hard to say which one more as they're both very different. Crazy Lixx sounds really weak, this is just pretty bad... and yeah, I guess comparatively "weak" as well. Whimpers when played back to back with most any other current CD.)

Quick answer without checking the backs of the CDs is that Crazy Lixx definitely used a different producer, and I'm 99% sure Crashdiet did too. Rare these days the same producer produces 2 albums in a row, unless he's part of the band.

And by the way, I was still in stunned silence by this being your first Crashdiet album. Knowing your tastes, they are an absolute must - at least 'Rest In Sleaze' and 'Generation Wild.' Utterly essential.

Glen's opinion on the Crazy Lixx production is a pretty lonely one and I personally think both suck (hard to say which one more as they're both very different. Crazy Lixx sounds really weak, this is just pretty bad... and yeah, I guess comparatively "weak" as well. Whimpers when played back to back with most any other current CD.)

Quick answer without checking the backs of the CDs is that Crazy Lixx definitely used a different producer, and I'm 99% sure Crashdiet did too. Rare these days the same producer produces 2 albums in a row, unless he's part of the band.

And by the way, I was still in stunned silence by this being your first Crashdiet album. Knowing your tastes, they are an absolute must - at least 'Rest In Sleaze' and 'Generation Wild.' Utterly essential.

Well I love Crazy Lixx and have all their albums, so if these guys compare to them I didn't really hear it in this album. I will check out the others as everyone says they are better than this release.

Well I love Crazy Lixx and have all their albums, so if these guys compare to them I didn't really hear it in this album. I will check out the others as everyone says they are better than this release.

Crazy Lixx are more melodic than crashdiet.

I guess both have that sleaze sound to them, but crashdiet have a dirtier sound.

this from a blabbermouth interview names the producer and gives a bit more insight in the production...

"The Savage Playground", the fourth album from Swedish rockers CRASHDÏET, has entered the official chart in the band's home country at position No. 2. The CD was released on January 25 in Europe (excluding Scandinavia) and January 22 in North America via Frontiers Records.

With "The Savage Playground" recorded during summer/autumn 2012 at Kingside Studios outside Stockholm with producer Otto Wellton, the band has their minds set to break through on a worldwide basis with a tour that will see the band going back to the U.S. as well as going to Japan for the first time.

The new album sees CRASHDÏET going in a heavier and direction. "'The Savage Playground' is our playground, it's the beginning and the end, it's the place where we eat and breed," says guitarist Martin Sweet. "We thought the time was right for us to do a edgier and not-so-polished-sounding album, kinda like what we sound like live. It's more organic and rough-sounding. And, of course, we're always evolving as musicians and like to try new ways of expressing ourselves, and that can most definitely be heard this album."

this is what i could find on this otto bloke...

2009 Dead by April Dead by April Engineer 2008 Amjad Gavin Bryars Engineer 2008 Halfway to Fivepoints Anna Ternheim Engineer 2007 Anna Ternheim Anna Ternheim Engineer 2007 Finer Dawn Sarah Dawn Finer Engineer 2006 Magnus Carlsson Magnus Carlsson Technician 2006 Nån Slags Verklighet Daniel Lindström Unknown Contributor Role 2006 Samba Makossa Simone Moreno Engineer 2003 Crunch Beats Keyboards 2003 Home Jennifer Brown Piano 2003 We Love You: A Tribute to the Rolling Stones Engineer, Mixing The Savage Playground Crashdïet Guest Artist, Mixing, Orchestral Arrangements, Piano, Producer

Crazy Lixx are more melodic than crashdiet.

I guess both have that sleaze sound to them, but crashdiet have a dirtier sound.

I was gonna say the same thing, Crazy Lixx generally more melodic than CD. Even lyrically you will find more f bombs and grittier vocals with CD. Both great bands and essential for (most) members of this board!

I love Crazy Lixx a lot more than Crashdiet.

Ha ha, lonely but correct.

Riot Avenue is a great album and far superior to Savage Playground.

I agree there Glen!

I think Rest In Sleaze is the pinnacle of perfection. But Crazy Lixx has certainly kicked Crashdiet's ass since then. Although Generation Wild was a damn good disc.

I think Rest In Sleaze is the pinnacle of perfection. But Crazy Lixx has certainly kicked Crashdiet's ass since then. Although Generation Wild was a damn good disc.

Agree Alphamale.

The new album sees CRASHDÏET going in a heavier and direction. "'The Savage Playground' is our playground, it's the beginning and the end, it's the place where we eat and breed," says guitarist Martin Sweet. "We thought the time was right for us to do a edgier and not-so-polished-sounding album, kinda like what we sound like live. It's more organic and rough-sounding. And, of course, we're always evolving as musicians and like to try new ways of expressing ourselves, and that can most definitely be heard this album."

This kind of stuff really pisses me off, especially coming from a musician. I may not play in a band, but I do enjoy live music. If live music sounded like this, however, I wouldn't bother. Sure, sometimes the band plays in a shitty venue and the sound can be poor, but that's no one's idea of a good time. Everyone would prefer a band to sound tight and excellent with a killer sounding set so you get the most out of it and can hear each band member equally.

These comments about sounding raw and rough and all that bullshit is fine if you want to appeal to posers who think that by listening to something that sounds like shit that they're really raw, nasty and hardcore and live in the gutter and sleep on a pillow of filth and rawness and edginess. But dudes, it's 2012. We have the facilities to make recorded music sound excellent, heavy and like a band should sound live. There is no room for poor quality recordings. Not when everything you put in the stereo before and after your CD sounds like a million dollars and your product sounds like shit.

I love Crashdiet and I'm sure Martin Sweet is a top bloke, but I hate bullshit like this. Their debut and 'Generation Wild' were universally adored for good reason. Taking a step back to appeal to a handful of posers isn't going to take your band anywhere. Though, I gotta say, massive congrats on debuting at number 2 on the Swedish charts. That's awesome.

I will do one better....the latest Dynazty beats both bands ass in to the ground. I rank it above Rest In Sleaze.

Yowser. For the record, in the above discussion, I also rate 'Riot Avenue' over the new Crashdiet... though I persist that production on both is shithouse.

Dynazty definitely had the better produced product of all, but not quite there on songs yet, imo. Not consistently.

This kind of stuff really pisses me off, especially coming from a musician. I may not play in a band, but I do enjoy live music. If live music sounded like this, however, I wouldn't bother. Sure, sometimes the band plays in a shitty venue and the sound can be poor, but that's no one's idea of a good time. Everyone would prefer a band to sound tight and excellent with a killer sounding set so you get the most out of it and can hear each band member equally.

These comments about sounding raw and rough and all that bullshit is fine if you want to appeal to posers who think that by listening to something that sounds like shit that they're really raw, nasty and hardcore and live in the gutter and sleep on a pillow of filth and rawness and edginess. But dudes, it's 2012. We have the facilities to make recorded music sound excellent, heavy and like a band should sound live. There is no room for poor quality recordings. Not when everything you put in the stereo before and after your CD sounds like a million dollars and your product sounds like shit.

I love Crashdiet and I'm sure Martin Sweet is a top bloke, but I hate bullshit like this. Their debut and 'Generation Wild' were universally adored for good reason. Taking a step back to appeal to a handful of posers isn't going to take your band anywhere. Though, I gotta say, massive congrats on debuting at number 2 on the Swedish charts. That's awesome.

Sounds about right Geoff!

I rated the new Dynazty 89% - great record, but not as good as 'Knock You Down' - that was awesome and the production on that baby kicked arse (euro version).

I rated the new Dynazty 89% - great record, but not as good as 'Knock You Down' - that was awesome and the production on that baby kicked arse (euro version).

I agree. I think Knock You Down is the better disc. By quite a bit actually.

I agree. I think Knock You Down is the better disc. By quite a bit actually.

I'm the opposite here!

Completely agree Geoff!