Crashdiet - The Savage Playground

Stefan

Yeah but to say its not as good is just an opinion, not a technical statement.

I actually thought the more stripped back 'cleaner' sound of the new Crazy Lixx album was great and far better to that wall of sound so called 'amazing production' that you guys refer to. I just thought it was dominated by clashy symbol sound.

As for Crashdiet I think a rougher sound will do em good and more suit their image.

Just imo of course.

Have to admit, I don't get how a weak sound represents a rough looking band. Again, just talking about Crazy Lixx as I've not heard Crashdiet. I've seen a lot of bands live and I've never heard a band on stage with tin drums. The drums usually sound HUGE. When I see a band live I love a good crisp set up with the band sounding as heavy and clear and clean as possible. And that's how I like my albums to sound too.

I think it's all nice and noble to say how a raw sound is nice, but when raw means a paper thin sound and piss-weak drums... not sure how that represents a rough hard rock band at all... personally. :)

A big production job always gets the best out of every instrument on the record. Can't see how that's possibly a bad thing in anyone's book?

:agree:

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• My Little Pony

I actually thought the more stripped back 'cleaner' sound of the new Crazy Lixx album was great and far better to that wall of sound so called 'amazing production' that you guys refer to. I just thought it was dominated by clashy symbol sound.

As for Crashdiet I think a rougher sound will do em good and more suit their image.

Just imo of course.

Have to admit, I don't get how a weak sound represents a rough looking band. Again, just talking about Crazy Lixx as I've not heard Crashdiet. I've seen a lot of bands live and I've never heard a band on stage with tin drums. The drums usually sound HUGE. When I see a band live I love a good crisp set up with the band sounding as heavy and clear and clean as possible. And that's how I like my albums to sound too.

I think it's all nice and noble to say how a raw sound is nice, but when raw means a paper thin sound and piss-weak drums... not sure how that represents a rough hard rock band at all... personally. :)

A big production job always gets the best out of every instrument on the record. Can't see how that's possibly a bad thing in anyone's book?

Believe it.

There's a difference between sounding raw and sounding like shit. One sounds raw. And the other sounds like shit.

Edguy had this problem Tinnitus Sanctus.

Just imo of course.

Sorry guys but I will argue the crazy Lixx thing to my grave - the drum sound on that album

Is excellent - god knows what u guys are listening to. I agree that the sound is cleaner, stripped back, but to me every instrument is huge and sounds excellent.

& Geoff I believe I said rougher sound not weaker sound.

Peace out.

Just imo of course.

Sorry guys but I will argue the crazy Lixx thing to my grave - the drum sound on that album

Is excellent - god knows what u guys are listening to. I agree that the sound is cleaner, stripped back, but to me every instrument is huge and sounds excellent.

Peace out.

Oh mate, I know you're saying rougher... but from the examples we're going off, rough = weak. Sounding rough seems to mean a band has recorded a CD with a really weak and tinny rhythm section. If there's an example where this isn't the case I'm all ears. :)

Just imo of course.

Peace out.

Oh mate, I know you're saying rougher... but from the examples we're going off, rough = weak. Sounding rough seems to mean a band has recorded a CD with a really weak and tinny rhythm section. If there's an example where this isn't the case I'm all ears. :)

Are you saying that songs like Church Of Rock & riot avenue sound weak & tinny? Really??

Some of the best sounding songs this year IMO.

Hey ho

• 4 weeks later...

Initial thoughts anyone?

Just got through my first spin and yeah it's pretty great in the main part. Sonically it's not as good as Generation Wild, but we had pretty much guessed that already. In terms of song there are some really good tunes here - kicks arse in the main part.

The last 2 are a mistake IMO but well see how they go - thinking they should have just ended with 'Excited' which is one of my picks of the whole album on first listen.

Also big shout out to 'Change The World' - classic Crashdiet IMO

Just 2mins ago I saw an email that my pre-order had shipped too. Can't wait! Hopefully I get to spin it before the end of the week.

This is what I posted out on FB earlier...and of course it is 2013, but what do I know....

First spin through, no single song hit me like GW's Chemical did and I felt the production could use a little Chris Laney to commercialize it bit and something to clear it up. SECOND spin through, I turned up the volume bigtime (like it was meant to be) and there are some killer tunes on here....Snakes In Paradise, California, Sin City, Got A Reason, Drinkin Without You. I like the way it flows, from song to song, no ballads (is that good or bad?), very little mid-tempo tunes, all rockers. It plays through quickly which for me means it is a good thing. I will like this more and more with each spin. I wouldn't say it is better than their other releases but it is on par or close to it. With a band like Crashdiet so much is expected. If an unknown band put this out people would be claiming it's the second coming of Appetite For Destruction...well, I exaggerate a little maybe. It's good a great start to 2012 IMO!

Hi Jeff, you make some very good points.

The production here is going to be a big talking point - at first I was disappointed, but listening again today it's not half as bad as I thought - its not gleaming like GW - just sounds more raw if that makes sense - the riffs etc still kill though so I expect that's the important bit.

For me the first 12 songs are all great with not a filler in sight. There are some growers on here though and I fully suspect that some which didn't click on first listen will become my favs - like California & Snakes In Paradise.

The Crashdiet expectation is also a big factor - we expect / demand huge things from this band and rightly so. All in all tho I think the boys done well.

After 3 spins I see this panning out at circa 85% - dragged down slightly by the last 2 tracks.

4th spin - man this thing is kicking me arse. This is definitely the most aggressive Crashdiet have been. 4 very angry young men lol.

The riffage going on is killer.

Yeah, I'd basically agree with everything Glen and Jeff said! I wish the vocals were a little more upfront in the mix in a couple of songs, but overall once again an excellent disc.

I found myself liking the second half of the disc more than the first one, what about you guys?

It's really good, and as Glen mentions, some huge riffing going on. TBH I preferred 'Generation Wild' by a few marks and It's a bit too long as well, at over an hour. Great stuff though.

At this point I think they could have axed Track 1 and 13...not terrible tunes but not really that great either. The rest of it is excellent. Starting at Anarchy, track 3 through Snakes In Paradise, track 10, is the strongest part of the album for me.

I agree with Glen and embrock. "Gleaming" is a good way to describe what GW has and this one does not. And I agree that the vocals do seem to get lost at times.

The packaging....I ordered this from the band, pre-order, and it came as a hard case CD (aka not a digi), The package overall is done up to standards, with lyrics, quality print, etc. They autographed the very center booklet which has a pic of each of them, so they signed their pic.

I see there is a JAPAN version available, but don't see a bonus track. Anyone get the JP release?

\m/

You'd axe track 1 lol ???!

There was me thinking this was the new Crashdiet anthem! Unbelievable track - the end is just awesome - sums up Crashdiet perfectly.

11 and 13...dammit Beavis, not 1. I am having my typing and numbering issues lately! Of course I still think it is 2012. :yikes:

Change The World is good, probably not a favorite of mine but I would not ax it. Starts the CD off very good.

I like Excited as well, just 3-10 is the strongest section of the disc (to embrock's question). Really it is all good with tracks 11 and 13 just being OK.

I was very concerned about the production and sound of The Savage Playground. I just zipped through the samples Dan put up on the site and I must say they sound great. I just ordered the disc and I can't wait to get it. From what I hear I still think Generation Wild is gonna be a stronger release, but we'll see.

Crisis averted!

I'm too damn broke to buy the CD anytime in the foreseeable future but I'll be sure to give it a spin on Spotify when I get the chance...

I was very concerned about the production and sound of The Savage Playground. I just zipped through the samples Dan put up on the site and I must say they sound great. I just ordered the disc and I can't wait to get it. From what I hear I still think Generation Wild is gonna be a stronger release, but we'll see.

Crisis averted!

There's no denying the sound is a bit compressed but I'd say give it at least 5 spins and then comment - it took that long for it to fully click with me - I'm loving it now.

Just a few comments on 'Garden Of Babylon'.

This song annoys me. It is growing on me and I do like the chorus but there is no need for this song to be over 7 mins long. Crashdiet being experimental is not necessary IMO. Basically IMO a kick arse solo should kick in at 3.30 and then chorus to end at no more than 5 mins. Good song everyone's happy.

I bet they play it live too :-( if they do I will go for a piss break lol.

Ok rant over.