Screwed By Ebay/PayPal Again... To the tune of $405

I've pretty much had enough of ebay. I had sold an expensive Dell XPS Laptop on ebay. In the listing, I gave an exact description including every issue and I also posted pictures of the laptop booting, 2 Bios screens and the Windows screen. I thought I had all my bases covered. I even made sure to say that there will be NO RETURNS on this auction (ebay doesn't care what you say).

I had 2 different buyers offer me $425 and $450 to end the auction early or sell outside ebay and I didn't. In hindsight, I should have.

The guy who won the laptop (cmbbuyer43231) bid twice in the last 10 seconds or so and then ignored invoices and messages. I had to open an Unpaid Item case for him to finally pay. I shipped the laptop triple wrapped in bubblewrap and in a very sturdy box with insurance and signature confirmation to the tune of $23.

Last Friday, I got a message from him.

"Hello. I received the laptop and its DOA. It powers up and i can hear it running but absolutely no display. I would like to return it for full refund.

thanks"

My response: As seen in the auction pics, the display works just fine. There are pics of the laptop booting, the bios screen and the Windows 8 screen that I had installed on a spare drive just to show pics of the laptop running in the auction

He then asked if I insured it, and I responded with the insurance thing from the post office.

Then he sent this:

Ok. You can issue me a full refund and file a claim for damage. Even though i dont see a single dent on the package or anywhere on the laptop. In any case i need to return it for full refund. Please make sure you file a claim and issue refund by tomorrow otherwise i will have to start ebay return process.

thanks

Now.... Why in the FUCK would I refund anyone that amount of money without having the item back first?

I told him that it was Saturday and I wouldn't be able to go to the post office until Monday to figure out how to deal with a possible insurance claim and then told him to go re-read the auction again where it said there was no returns and I said I would speak with ebay before I did anything.

His response:

ok. i can clearly see that there will be a problem with this return so i am going to open a case to get Ebay involved so i can get this resolved quickly.

thanks

I called ebay and talked to the resolution center and the girl looked at the auction and told me that I was pretty covered (like that means anything these days) as I had actual pics of the system running.

I did some homework and looked up his feedback, items bought and feedback left for others. It looks as if he buys a LOT of PC stuff including a LOT of the same model laptop I had sold. Now... What I'm worried about is the fact that he changed out parts and is sending back is junk. I've read that this has been happening a lot on ebay as of late, especially with computer related stuff. Luckily for me, I have the serial number in a picture and I also had that laptop apart 3-4 times as I was rebuilding it. The VERY expensive video card was marked as was the motherboard. If it's tampered with or switched out, I HOPE to GOD that ebay has enough common sense to not give this twit a refund... As of right now, they locked up my Paypal because of it. pricks......

That is the reason I will never give ebay a dime. I sold for 10 years [10000+ feedback] on there and they treat thier sellers like ultra-shit. And the SELLERS are the ones that feed the stockholders!! And, unfortunately, ebay has turned me off from ALL auction sites. So, I have not even bothered to try thier competition.

Evilbay decided in the BUYERS favor and are forcing me to refund him when it's delivered. They can go get fucked sideways. I put a HOLD on at my bank against anything PayPal until I look the laptop over for signs of tampering or parts switched out.

• 1 month later...

I remember joining ebay in 1997 when it was pretty much brand new and thought it was literally the greatest thing since sliced bread (and it was). Unfortunately, customer service at ebay / paypal is now laughable at best, but remains the ONLY place in the entire world to find certain items. I'd love to say ****-it and never go back, but I can't. Yes, I realize that's hypocritcal, but at least I'm being honest.

I have changed buying and selling habits dramatically, however (don't sell much at all anymore) and don't buy from sellers I haven't purchased from previously without at least one email first. It used to be so fun and easy... like a ripped jeans and t-shirt on-line swap-meet. Now it's all suit and tie and little more. But if I'm looking for a 1982 Panasonic RQ-WJ1 cassette player, where else am I going to find one?

• 4 weeks later...

Evilbay decided in the BUYERS favor and are forcing me to refund him when it's delivered. They can go get fucked sideways. I put a HOLD on at my bank against anything PayPal until I look the laptop over for signs of tampering or parts switched out.

How was the computer after you got it back?

All the pieces were there, but it wasn't working at all. Not sure what he did to it. I booted it right before it went in the box to be shipped too. The box was not beat up in shipping either so it wasn't like it was dropped or beat to shit

I have to take the laptop completely apart to get it fixed again. More than likely the video card

• My Little Pony

Thanks for the response. I am curious as to what he did. Any way to fix or repair the damage?

Thanks also for the eBay warning. I stopped selling on there a little while back, and have had no desire to return. Amazon and GEMM work just fine for me. :)

Isn't GEMM ridiculously expensive? Maybe it's just what I've been looking for.

GEMM is ridiculously FAIR. They take a 13% flat rate cut of your sales. You set your own shipping rates. Problem is, they don't have near the exposure as Amazon. So I get a sale here and there, but not near the volume you can get on Amazon. On GEMM I mainly list the CDs that Amazon does not have a listing for.

• My Little Pony

GEMM is ridiculously FAIR. They take a 13% flat rate cut of your sales. You set your own shipping rates. Problem is, they don't have near the exposure as Amazon. So I get a sale here and there, but not near the volume you can get on Amazon. On GEMM I mainly list the CDs that Amazon does not have a listing for.

I meant from a buyers perspective. Don't most sellers list fairly high on that site?

I meant from a buyers perspective. Don't most sellers list fairly high on that site?

yep, prices are generally high. but there's a lot of stuff on there that you don't see very much anywhere else.

• My Little Pony

yep, prices are generally high. but there's a lot of stuff on there that you don't see very much anywhere else.

That's true.

back in the fall i sent some inventory to Amazon for their fulfullment-by-amazon (they do the shipping, and buyers can use their prime),, when i recalled half a carton because i ran out of stock at home, they did a dogshit packing job and dented up $600 worth of merchandise.